Boat ESC - success Only works for me though.

Dirkdiggler,
How's your 90a holding up? Any plans to upgrade to 120a or switch back to car esc?

I finally got the 120a esc soldered together. It was a pain as it has 8? gauge wires for power. That makes it a PITA to get 4mm bullet connectors attached. You have to strip the wires bare to get the red housing on it. Took me a while to figure that one out. Because of that you need to heat shrink the bare wire that's exposed. After that mess I got it programmed and went for a ride. Didn't seem to feel any different than the 90a. I'd really need to check things on the wattmeter - but it is really difficult to notice any difference between the two. The 120a is much larger size wise. I'll use it for a few weeks and see how it holds up.

I'm still curious why others have problems with this ESC. I think I've setup four or five boards with them and haven't heard anything back about the ESC giving them issues. Maybe I've finally gotten lucky in my life. I'd like to see how they have them programmed to check if something is just off. I've tried to program an airplane ESC without a program card and its a pain to try and distinguish the beeps and be sure you've done it correctly. I highly recommend a program card for any RC ESC. I think the newer ESCs are going for a computer program which will be even better.

I bought the 90A version of the boat esc together with a program card.
Can you guys give me the settings that you are using so I can try them?

Regards Remie

Just got my board up and running using the 120A boat ESC. Seems I have no brakes either. Will have to try calibrating it tomorrow. Never ridden an electric skateboard before. Surprised at the power! I have no card. Anyone know where the actual manual is for this ESC. Is it the one on the Hobbyking site under files? Cheers :D

remieknaapen said:
I bought the 90A version of the boat esc together with a program card.
Can you guys give me the settings that you are using so I can try them?

Regards Remie

Hi Remie
Hope you have better luck than Dodgy and I. Our unit not only has no brakes, but it coggs upon reaching speed.. It does not seem like a glitch either as BOTH of mine did it in exactly the same way after similar periods of use, in the same manner as Dodgy's half a world away did. Both of mine are in the trash and Dodgy has since (i believe) replaced his with a Hobbyking he is quite happy with. Look out for cogging after having reached max speed (takes about an hour of riding for this to develop and then never stops) and absence of brakes. The cogging will throw you of the board the first time it appears if you are not careful (happened to me at least).

Dirk maybe you should change the title of this tread since although you have had success with yours.. the rest of us havent, so it might mislead guys starting out to think that all board designs are coggy or difficult to maneuver, when the problem might lie in a design/production revision between your older "good" ESC and our newer "bad" ones. I quoted the words good and bad since these ESC's are not designed to be used on a skateboard, so what we might see as a problem, a boat owner might see as an upgrade...

Looks like the boat esc isn't going to work for me either.

Setup of the esc was done with a program card. I did check if the esc saved my settings after every adjustement I made and all of that was fine.
None of the settings I have tried gave me a working brake unfortunately.

Startup of the boat esc however was better then the hobbyking 150 esc so it's a shame I can't get it to work properly.

The search for a good esc continues, I love the smaller dimensions of the boat esc and I really want something simular. The hobbyking 150a car esc is to bulky for me and for the plans I have with my e-board.

remieknaapen said:
Looks like the boat esc isn't going to work for me either.

Setup of the esc was done with a program card. I did check if the esc saved my settings after every adjustement I made and all of that was fine.
None of the settings I have tried gave me a working brake unfortunately.

Startup of the boat esc however was better then the hobbyking 150 esc so it's a shame I can't get it to work properly.

The search for a good esc continues, I love the smaller dimensions of the boat esc and I really want something simular. The hobbyking 150a car esc is to bulky for me and for the plans I have with my e-board.

I wanted them to work too. Got two of them and sent them back after watching how everyone else was doing. The alien seems to be slimmer and u can do 8s. Hobbywing150 is a bit slimmer than the hk too

I have 2 x boat esc 90a. Both with the same issue as beto. I switched to the hobbywing and so far its awesome. It brakes really hard and no cogging on startup.

i have two 90a esc too. For now i've tested only with no load and brake well for what i can see.

Could be a transmitter problem or of the controller? I use an arduino and the servo library to pilot the esc.

cool change Dirk.. Thanks :D
Avoids misdirecting the people who jump directly to the last page and dont read the in betweens.
YOU THE MAN!!!!

got92 said:
i have two 90a esc too. For now i've tested only with no load and brake well for what i can see.
Could be a transmitter problem or of the controller? I use an arduino and the servo library to pilot the esc.

Hope it works out for you, I didnt actually have any problems till i rode it for the first half hour and then the demons came out, but on the other hand neither dodgy nor I had any brakes and you do.. so maybe you got one like Dirks...
I tried the quanum controller, the gt2 and austin's wiimote...the ESC liked none...

That was one of the things I was wondering, if the esc wasn't calibrated to the remote. Meaning you need to set endpoints of full throttle and full brake. You only need to do this once and if you use a different controller the esc should still work. Maybe that's the issue. Brakes on this have always been much less than the car esc, but that's one of the reasons I like it. No squeal and people don't end up going overboard because it stops too fast. Also keep the punch level down to three on the settings.

Beto - I watched your Go pro vid. You aren't the type to use this esc any how, go with the Mamba. You are going to get yourself kicked off the bike path! Panama looks sweet. I imagine your timing settings were off for your riding. Did you use automatic timing or 20 degree?

LOL Dirk NO i am very polite when people are around.. well usually :D ,

I tried all the timings.. started with the highest and went all down all the way to the first..
The esc was wonderful (albeit brakeless) for the first half hour... guess i must have broken it after that :D

Regarding the ESC it is a hobbywing 150 and has over 1250 kms on it with this setup acording to mapmyride...

I got one of those boat escs too and am hoping to test it soon. Has anyone removed the housing of the esc and strapped on a normal heatsink? Would like to know how that works.

furp said:
I got one of those boat escs too and am hoping to test it soon. Has anyone removed the housing of the esc and strapped on a normal heatsink? Would like to know how that works.

the electronic is inside an solid aluminium housing (with the waterheatsink), i haven't test it under load yet but i think the housing should guarantee a decent heat dispersion. If it will go too hot i will put some heatsink directly on the alluminium :mrgreen:

Yeah I will go that route too, was just curious if it was easy to take it out since it seemes to be pretty well secured inside.

i've tried the boat esc with a single motor, and there is the brake, but it's too weak :( It's so weak i would not call either brake.
I've tried for now a single 4250 sk3 on 6s, in the next day i will try with two motors, but i don't think it can greatly improve :(

@dirkdiggler which settings are you using?

EDIT:
:mrgreen: with a dual 4250 the brakes are great :mrgreen: .. They are great, but i have used it at maximum for all the time, so i said they work decently :D for now i'm very happy with it

There isn't really much to change on the settings. Of course use the forward with brake and change the punch level down to three or so. I've left most everything else the same. I did change LV to 3.4. Timing could be adjusted. I've never used the 4250 motor. I'd imagine the size of the motor doesn't help your braking.
With two motors, you are going to see more braking power. The brakes on these work better the faster you are going. If you are barely moving they won't be noticeable at all. Try it out on a flat road where you can coast if they aren't working. If you brake for long periods of time, be careful. I think the esc takes that energy and does some wacky things with it. I always pump the throttle every once in a while on a longer downhill. Same goes for the car ESC.
This ESC would be a good option for a dual setup, but I don't recommend them as too many people have had issues. I'd say they are the more demanding riders that have had issues, but I've read about more problems than success. If you are commuting to work on a board, or trying to break speed records go with the car ESC. I might have had good luck with them as now I only really ride around my neighborhood for a quick afterwork release. I ride my ebike if I want to go for longer.
Hope the ESC works for you. Still not recommending it anymore :wink:

JackHMcD said:
Does anyone have a pair of the escs that they want to throw away(give to me for cheap)?
Threw both of mine in the trash. ..

Was going to use this esc on a scooter, but I can't get it to start up reliably. I know the rx 8in this case servo tester) does get power. I also know that the signal works, since I can programm it and it saves the settings. I had it running a few times, but now it won't even beep at the start but everything seems to be connected fine.. Maunual does not help either.. Did anyone experience something similar with this one or has some ideas what to do?

If you are using a servo tester, try rotating the knob on the tester itself to see if the motor beeps.

Did that but nothing happened. I dont even get the starting beeps for battery count but I can See that the tester is powered up and get beeps when I finish programming with the card as well.

Back