Battery Packs - Where to buy them

I can make it longer with the specs of

LxWxH
252x149x 96 roughly

or stand the pack straigh up
252x96x 149 which closely matches the ping pack battery

IF you have no standards in charging I can get one of the cheaper HK chargers they are like 40 bucks and the PSU is like 20 so you could save like 80bucks by being cheap but its your investment =P

icecube57 said:
IF you have no standards in charging I can get one of the cheaper HK chargers they are like 40 bucks and the PSU is like 20 so you could save like 80bucks by being cheap but its your investment =P
If I'm going to enter the dark side. No chintzing only quality components.

The Lengthwise looks perfect for my carrier.

icecube57 said:
If I'm going to enter the dark side. No chintzing only quality components.

The Lengthwise looks perfect for my carrier.

Assuming that we use the quality charger and balance often how long should this pack last for.
How many charges?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40636

Try to keep your cycle shallow and dont fully discharge nor charge to full voltage.

anybody bought any batterys or cells from mistertao.com been looking at the a123 20ah and they seem really cheap but am a bit confused and suspicious of the ratings as under the search result listing it might have 4 diamonds but then on the page the sellers dont have any feedback or just 1 heart and states its risky but it seems like that for all sellers ive looked at but priced up 24 cells with the shipping calculator using the 480g x24 weight for a guide and getting a total with express ems shipping of $638.72!!! thats 24 a123 20ah cells shipped to the uk including 22.5% import tax for under 500gbp but im of the opinion if it sounds too good to be true....... id certainly give it a shot at buying 1 cell and see if it arrives lol take a look http://www.mistertao.com/taobao-products/taobao-item-18487644454.html

I'm looking for a small 2.0kg 36v 8ah 4C battery for my commute. Cellman can build me something up (without a charger), so I may go that route if I figure out what to do about a charger. Most of the small light batteries I have seen are 18650 based, which is fine, but the stuff BMS battery and others sell are 1C packs (bottle batteries and small brick batteries). 4C is going to be a lot better in a small pack.

Lipo is an option, but given that I just need 36v 8ah, and can't use more than 14amps for my commute, a quality 18650 cell build would give me the same thing (cost, weight, size) with a lot less hassle than LiPo.

Some a123 26650 cells would be the best thing.

But Cellmans current offering will work well. Why not get a charger from him too? I don't get it. You do need a charger set to the correct voltage for your pack.

I've been using a high C rate new samsung 18650 cell from supower. They build to YOUR specs and rather quickly. For a 36 8Ah pack you'd need 10S4P but that'll really end up being more like 7.2Ah since you only use 90%. Another 18650 cell that can do that discharge is the Panasonic's. A member of this forum named APRIL sells them for less than 7$ a piece. They are 2.9Ah so with just 3 you might be able to get away considering your discharge is low.

Best of luck mate.

I was unaware of the 4c option. I've always considered the 3c claim of regular ping cells over rated, but no more than others c ratings.

Call it half the stated c rate for real world use as I always do, then 10 ah of "4c" should run a 20 amps controller ok.

I would call a 10 ah ping using the 4c cell a good choice for his smaller motor then. Small, light, reasonable compact, and importantly, longer potential cycle count.

the new pouches from ping are built differently from the older types. i have never pushed it to 4C so no idea how bad the sag would be. but at 4C it is only 10 minutes of pack time anyway. so maybe 5-6 miles?

That sounds about right, if you were running a 40 amps controller. This guy is working on a lightweight road bike sort of build if I remember right. So he should be looking at 15-20 amps controller I thought.

The 4c ping would be a good option then, and even the 3c stuff would still work fine for that application in 10 ah.

I’m back. Thanks for the feedback.

The problem with PING (or LiFePO4), is the weight. Lifepo4 is about 50% heavier than lithium Ion, and I’m going for light weight.
(Comparing 3.2v Lifepo cells to 3.7v Li-ion cells, you are going to need more cells (weight) with lifepo4)

And you are right, I don’t need 4C as I am running 14amps. 4C is just for headroom. Like dogman said, 10ah at 4c should be quite comfortable at 15-20 amps. Those bottle batteries are 1C, and an 8ah 1C battery just isn’t going to cut it.

chas58 said:
I’m back. Thanks for the feedback.

The problem with PING (or LiFePO4), is the weight. Lifepo4 is about 50% heavier than lithium Ion, and I’m going for light weight.
(Comparing 3.2v Lifepo cells to 3.7v Li-ion cells, you are going to need more cells (weight) with lifepo4)

And you are right, I don’t need 4C as I am running 14amps. 4C is just for headroom. Like dogman said, 10ah at 4c should be quite comfortable at 15-20 amps. Those bottle batteries are 1C, and an 8ah 1C battery just isn’t going to cut it.

You should contact April from OSN.

They have the 2.9ah panasonic cell that can do 10A+ discharge for less than 8$/cell. They have excellent cycle life too. Their battery packs are built with good care using gaskets and thick nickel tabs.

You'll need only 10S3P so 30 cells.

Besides that what's wrong with these ?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=20837

Can't beat that price.

I used to play around with hub motors back in the SLA days but I am back into the electric bicycle assist game. Is there a thread that talks about the best sources for turn key battery systems? I ordered from BMS battery but when they got ready to ship they asked for another $65. I asked for my order to be cancelled and requested a prompt refund. Of course no word from them yet! Price is important but a reliable product with a reasonable shipping time with no upcharges factor in too. I got a battery from Li Ping with no problems and also from greenbikekit with no problems either.
Thanks in advance.

AllCell Technology in Chicago makes great batteries. They incorporate a proprietary PCM (phase change material) that absorbs excess heat and allows for higher performance/longer life. I've been using one of their 36v 15Ah packs with a 750 Aotema front direct drive for 3 months with great results. They also warranty their packs for two years. If you're interested, I can refer you to a shop in my neighborhood that is an AllCell dealer/shipper.

Ping, em3ev. But a battery must match your needs or bad things happen. So what is your setup very important. I would not buy a battery from bms battery or victpower.

Expect to pay to play when it comes to shipping batteries these days. Even when dealing within the same continent.

The good news is the other Ebike related stuff is priced based on size and weight.

Bafang 500 and 750 watt mid drive motors. Mostly pedal assist but not opposed to WOT.
I did get a refund from BMS Battery after they asked for an additional $65 in shipping and a long delay to boot.
Seems to me that any reputable battery dealer has plenty of selection of batteries. Right now I have a Ping 48 volt lipo4 10 amp hour and a 48 volt 15 amp lithium nicomn battery. Both work great to date. Never have reached cut off.
For now I will stick to theses sources for batteries unless someone has a recommendation.

Back