Rutiger Giant build - Brisbane

Still haven't made any solid plans. How's your mate going with yours?
I found a site that was selling very simple torque arms that were just a straight piece of steel with one hole for the axle and one longer slot/hole for a bolt.
It will be too much effort to design and have something custom made.

I have another issue, I need to find an alternative for one of the spacers to go between the rear disc brake and the motor. I should have ordered one from em3ev, but mis-understood what it was for. I thought I could get away with not having one by switching to a 7 speed freewheel.

yes it has and it's nice to see you are making progress on your build, looks good
if i can be so bold to suggest that before deciding who's you want you measure what size you need
mine is a 1 or 2mm "Hope Disc Spacer" and it cost me about $5.00
i'll measure it and let you know what size i have

Nips said:
It's the disc spacer from em3ev. If we meet up you can have it.

Ohh, OK. Sorry, I thought you meant a torque arm and newb was talking about a spacer, but you were both talking about spacers.

That spacer from em3ev should be the right size, thank you.

Got it together the other day and took it for a test ride in between showers. Hopefully will have time to do more work on various bits tomorrow. :D
94Schmr.jpg

It's a little bit cramped, and it wouldn't fit with the batteries the way I had them packed originally. I had to put the bag on the bike and pack the batteries differently, which means it sticks out a little bit wider than I had hoped.

My legs do touch the bag a bit if I angle them in a little, but for the most part they shouldn't touch.

I spent the morning looking after my son who was sick and not at school today, while properly testing the charger on some individual bricks. I charged 6 of them up and went for a few short rides to test it out. Everything works nicely, and got over 50kph at one stage, although it was down a hill.

The thumb throttle seems a bit choppy, does anyone else find that with a cell man kit? From em3ev? It might just be a combination of the spring and new plastic causing the mechanism to be a bit stiff to move, in which case, hopefully it gets better. Otherwise I just need to make an effort to be really smooth and careful otherwise I could end up on my arse with a now heavy bike on top of me.

I'm at the Cairns airport waiting for my next flight to Groote Eylandt to work for the next 7 days, but I am hoping to find some scrap steel that I can make torque arms from, and I'm also hoping to have one of the radio comms guys help me solder up some balance lead conversions to take three 4s JST-XH plugs and convert them to two 6s plugs.

If I can manage those things, within a few hours of getting home I'll be able to balance charge the whole battery pack as one, and take it for a big ride! Hoping to get 70km+ out of it.

Oh, and I almost forgot, while I did manage to get the power supplies wired up in series, when I turn the second power supply on, the first one cuts out. I might need to start my own thread for help on that one. I think it might have something to do with earths or something, but I don't understand things enough to play around with that much zappage.

Build is looking good.
I has a similar setup MAC 8T 48V gets over 50km/hr on the flats

I bagged the JST-XH connectors on my build thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56343&p=839168#p839198, I'm not a huge fan of them, too small and finicky.
I used these from Aussie Ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5x-WIRE-...lt-/120741958348?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160, as long as you have the crimpers they are dead easy, and not much bigger if you trim the tabs off, and they still lock.
But then many people seems to like the JST-XH

maramusa said:
Build is looking good.
I has a similar setup MAC 8T 48V gets over 50km/hr on the flats

I bagged the JST-XH connectors on my build thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56343&p=839168#p839198, I'm not a huge fan of them, too small and finicky.
I used these from Aussie Ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5x-WIRE-...lt-/120741958348?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160, as long as you have the crimpers they are dead easy, and not much bigger if you trim the tabs off, and they still lock.
But then many people seems to like the JST-XH

Thanks, those plugs look pretty easy.
Mine is all set up with JST-XH plugs now. I spent hours designing and hours soldering together a big lead to convert 12s 6p (of 4s bricks) to fit into 2x6s on the Hyperion 1420 charger, so unless something melts a lot of wires and plugs, like what happened to yours, I won't be changing.

Must be time for an update!

I spent time, on and off, for several weeks trying to get the cells in my bricks balanced, until I realised that my Hyperion 1420i charger somehow mis-reads the voltage on cell 2 on both A and B connections. So I ended up charging them all up to 90% TCS and letting them balance over 2 days, in 2 parts (I'm using 18 bricks in 12s 6p format for 44v and 30Ah).
Even though the charger said the cells were up to 0.07v out, I checked them with 3 different voltage checker/alarms and after a couple of cycles through the cell voltages they were all within 0.01-0.02v.

I left the pack charged to about 48v overnight (which is probably a bit high), and then got up a little early to put the rack on the bike, pack the bag, and double check everything. While I was getting ready I charged it up to about 49.7v and set off.

sr4MLnr.jpg

The trip was 30.99km and I rode a bit over half of that with a friend who was powered only by his legs.
I kept it in mode 1 (50%) for about 90% of the trip and averaged 25.3kph for 1 hour and 13 minutes.
Believe it or not I used 233.04Wh, which is only 7.5Wh/km! I was amazed and for half the trip thought there must have been something wrong with the CA to say I only used 4.8Ah for 30km. Upon arrival the voltage was 47.8v, still pretty high.

The trip home was not held up by motor-less riders, only a few busy road crossings, traffic lights, and a couple of tighter bike path sections where I was happy to cruise behind someone else for a few minutes before passing them. I pedalled the whole way unless I was just coasting down a hill without throttle. Unfortunately part of the way home my second pole on the front wheel came loose (I think the one the came with the kit from EM3EV is meant for a larger spoke size), so some of the CA readings may be off. It says my max speed was 408kph, so I'm pretty sure at least that one is accurate! :p

Distance: 29.42km
Top speed: 65kph
Average speed: 32.8kph
Moving time: 53m 45s

End Voltage: 45.9v
Ah used: 7.955Ah
Wh used: 369.19
Wh/km: 12.5

I used a lot more battery on the way home because I kept it in mode 2 and 3 for the whole trip, most of the time using mode 3 and keeping it pinned. I still pedalled the whole way and was happy with how my legs felt afterwards as they were still quite fresh. I was surprised again and very happy with how little battery I used for the round trip, leaving enough Ah to easily do another 60km at a moderate pace.

Some GPS data from the ride:
5gWz8Vw.png

3eDmjRV.png

About 2/3rds of the way home I sat behind another MTB rider for a while, who was cruising along at a reasonable speed, but when I went to overtake I realised he was on an e-bike too! So of course we chatted about our bikes while we cruised along and then swapped bikes for a bit. Turns out he's a [very quiet] ES member, too!

So all in all, an excellent day.

Next on the to do list:
work out why my brakes are shit
tighten the head stem bearings, it's a bit wobbly
replace a jst-xh plug I broke off
and work out what I did wrong with the 3x 4s to 2x 6s balance lead (for balancing 4s @ 12s on the hyperion 1420)

After that's done, I'll have a pretty damn sweet set up!

Just ordered a set of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/clarks-exo-skeletal-hydraulic-disc-brake/rp-prod80605

Under $75 delivered for front and rear hydraulic brake kit. Can't wait!

Nice bike, I really like those tires!

Rutiger said:
Got some new bits today.
One of the cell voltage alarms and parallel balancing cables.
Xdb0fLa.jpg

Unless you balance charge every single time I would not recommend having those cell checkers always hooked up to your batteries. I have these and they pull all of their power from only the first 2 cells. This brings the pack out of balance by about 0.02v every ride or 20 minutes.
GCinDC had some nice ones he just plugged in monetarily to check the voltage. I'm going to try to find out what they are this week then ill post back.

Scott said:
Nice bike, I really like those tires!

Unless you balance charge every single time I would not recommend having those cell checkers always hooked up to your batteries. I have these and they pull all of their power from only the first 2 cells. This brings the pack out of balance by about 0.02v every ride or 20 minutes.
GCinDC had some nice ones he just plugged in monetarily to check the voltage. I'm going to try to find out what they are this week then ill post back.

Thanks, the tyres are hookworms. Very comfy and awesome for street riding.

Thanks for letting me know about the cell alarms, too. I haven't been using them while riding.

Nips said:
Hey Rutiger, how's your build going? Have you fitted your brakes and new chain rings yet?

Hey mate, hope everything is going well at your place. Hope everyone is healthy and well.

I haven't ridden for a while because I have been sick, and now even though I'm OK, I still have a coughing fit with the slightest of exercise, so I'm waiting for that to disappear before riding again.

I did some work on the bike last weekend and a bit of fiddling the other day as well.
Fitted new chain ring (48t), new chain, new hydraulic brakes front and rear, new shifters front and rear and cable outer.
I had the move the front dera... gear shifty thingy up to clear the massive new chain ring and since fitting everything moved it slightly again which helped with smoother and more accurate shifting on the front rings. Everything is now going quite well there, except that the chain rubs in some places if I'm in a crazy gear combination where the chain runs on an angle from the front to rear cogs. Shouldn't be an issue if I change gears properly.

There is however an issue with the shifter controlling the rear... gear shifty thingy. It's a 7 speed shifter on a 7 speed freewheel, but for some reason it misses some of the gears (basically every second one) and doesn't sit properly on all of them. I've got the end screws on the gear shifty thingy adjusted right so that it won't change inside 1 or outside 7 (and fall off the freewheel), but I can't see any other way to adjust it to use all of the gears on the freewheel.

It seems to me that it's pulling too much cable with each click of the lever, but I can't see any way of adjusting that.
These are the shifters: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/sram-x3-7-speed-trigger-shifter/rp-prod41153

I'm wondering if the easiest thing will be to get one of these to go with it? :(
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/sram-x3-7-8-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod41156
I really can't spend any more money on this damn thing.

We're doing well thanks mate!

Sounds like it's all coming along well.

That's a SRAM 1:1 actuation shifter. So it won't be compatible with a shimano derailleur for the very reason you said. Basically it moves more cable per gear than a shimano one would. Yes that new derailleur you linked would fix the problem. What is your current rear derailleur?

You might find this useful: http://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/Maintenance_and_Repair/Gear-changing_Dimensions

Thanks for the link, makes sense why it's doing what it's doing.

I'll just have to get it lined up on a few of the rear cogs and only use those gears. Maybe I can just use two on the back and two in the front to give me enough range to pedal at various speeds.

Thanks again, stay in touch. Should organise a catch up when you have some spare time.

Back