LightningRods mid drive, spinningmagnets' build

spinningmagnets

Staff member
For info on the history of the development of this drive, here is the original thread:

"LightningRods mid drive kit"
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57720

I write for electricbike.com, and when I explained to the senior editor why this new drive was so great (IMHO), he bought me the first production unit. It was partially so we could test review it, but since I don't get a paycheck for writing, this is also an occasional perk (Thanks, Eric!).

The package was well-packed, so the parts arrived without any being bent, scratched, dinged, or broken.

LR1 002.JPG

The first order of business is to start the search for a local bike that is worthy of this drive, so I am using a common 8 X 11 manila folder as the template.

LR3 001.JPG

This particular fork only has about 4 inches of travel, but it still looks like I'll be fine to do some experiments with this one while I search for the "perfect" frame. I'll post dimensions for a template for those who want to see if it will fit their favorite frame before committing to buying the kit.

LR4 001.JPG

I'll add the dimensions tomorrow (*yawn...)

LRtemplate.png

I think the easiest way to make this template is to start with drawing the green triangle. The three points of the triangle are the centers of the BB, the motor, and the jackshaft. The horizontal line is 5-3/4 inches (146 mm), the short vertical line on the right is 4-3/4 inches (121 mm), and the long line is 9-3/8 inches (238 mm).

Next draw the four black circles. The motor and jackshaft pulley are both 5-3/4 diameter. Half the diameter is the radius, 2-7/8 inches. (diameter 146 mm, radius 73 mm). The two circles for the BB are the inside diameter of the hole and the outside diameter of the bracket. the ID is 1-5/8 inches (41mm), and the OD is 2-1/4 inches (58 mm).

Now to draw the red lines. I laid the long edge of an envelope on the vertical green line on the right, in order to make a 90-degree angle. Then I drew the short red line pointing to 10:00 O'Clock from the center of the jackshaft. Draw it out a length of 1-3/8 inch long (35 mm).

Get a straight-edge at least a foot long and draw the long red line by connecting the edge of the circle that defines the BB ID, and that mark you made on the red line that makes it.

Draw the two red lines near the bottom that connect the big circles, and the short red line that is above the BB is parallel with the red line below it. Cut out the outer shape, and then cut the template BB in half so you can hold the template up to the front half of a bikes BB

Go get em Ron! It will be great to follow all the build threads now with this new kit up and running. I look forward to hearing about your progress and enjoyment of your new project. Thanks so much for collecting all the info regarding this kit and doing your bit to promote it. Awesome!

I know you are a big fan of the 18650 packs and also Cellman packs so I would like to recommend the good old Giant DH in your quest to find the right frame. I love this old frame and it lets you fit in one of Pauls 14.3 ah packs in the main triangle shown in the photo above.

This Kit and the Motoped stuff I what I am directing any people to look into that may inquire about the pedal assist world.

It's in inches, but I just drew that scale to make sure the drawing was proportionally close to having the correct "look". Please don't use that scale to try to print out a template. If you follow the written instructions, you can draw a perfectly accurate template.

chain guide pic: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42785&start=1425#p704856

I really wish you people across the pond will use a metric system instead of lbs and inches :mrgreen: it make things so mush easier to follow ..

Looking forward to your review !

spinningmagnets said:
It's in inches, but I just drew that scale to make sure the drawing was proportionally close to having the correct "look". Please don't use that scale to try to print out a template.
i guess you could make a template with paint/photoshop and print it as .pdf. that should make it possible to print it out in the correct size?!

gwhy! said:
I really wish you people across the pond will use a metric system instead of lbs and inches :mrgreen: it make things so mush easier to follow ..

You know being on this forum does force this to happen. That and you book mark the unit converter. What really gets old is when people start mixing the two.

gwhy! said:

Don't British people use stones or something for weight?? just as confusing

ebike11 said:
gwhy! said:

Don't British people use stones or something for weight?? just as confusing

lbs, stone, gallons , miles and inches ( but not as much ) wish it was all metric... :mrgreen:

I write for electricbike.com, and when I explained to the senior editor why this new drive was so great (IMHO), he bought me the first production unit. It was partially so we could test review it

Can you please do an unbiased review of this kit ? Or is it because LightningRods is a long time friend of yours that you will not point out the negative aspects of the kit ?

Yes, I can review it in a completely unbiased way. Of course, It's possible I might be very biased and i'm just covering that up right now, so...I'll just trust that I have had a consistent reputation in my comments from when I started here in March 2009.

One thing I can say...based on my experience at being an avid reader who prides himself in identifying trends, the LightningRods kit should do just fine with or without me, no matter what I say.

BTW, I only corresponded with Mike after he first posted in the GNG thread (Nov 2012 http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42785&p=667278#p667278). We did not know each other back in Los Angeles when we both were young, but that fact was something that we found we had in common (he lives in Oregon now, I live in Kansas). We've never met, I only know him through ES...

Bikes I'm considering
http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Iron-Horse-Men-s-Sinister-6.1-Mountain-Bike/26999361
http://www.electricbike.com/motor-tech-learn-the-terms-part-1/
7-sp steel frame, Feet-Forward http://www.beachbikes.net/products/Firmstrong-CA-520-7-Speed-Matte-Black-Mens-26-Cruiser-Bike-230.html

Seriously SM - stop wasting time answering rude 17-post twits and get building!
Your contributions have the respect of all - I for one am really looking forward to this build and review.
:D

Back