How to build an Electric skateboard tutorial *free version*

Thanks so much Beto_pty!

A couple of questions:

1. What do you mean by ' Should compare to a 5060 ntm' ?
2. It says on this thread- the motor should have a KV rating between 138 and 270 KV- Lower KV= More Torque. Since the RC bazaar Motor is rated at 270KV- what would this mean for the build I'm trying? In other words- will a 270 KV motor be able to start from stationary on a upward incline/hill with ease?
3. The RCbazaar 100A ESC doesn't have a Cooling Fan like the Hobbyking 150A ESC- Will this be a problem?
4. With the given setup- How can I calculate the maximum speed?

Thanks a tonne!

1. The 5060 ntm is one of the motors i use.. pulls me at 42kph on 6s..i weigh 200 lbs
2. At under 135 lbs the 270 should be nice and torkey... no problem there. You always want to kickstart.. it is easier on your motor and it doesn't look dorky like clmbing on and rolling does.. should be able to go up some fine inclines.
3. I had an airplane 100 amp esc, did not have a fan either.. did not heat up on me even once.. however the start was a bit uncomfortable. . Yours features autosoft start..so that might be much better
4. Speed is a tradeoff from torque.. if there are huge hills you'll need to diminish your top speed.. if you live ina flat pancake like i do you could probably gear for 48 kph...where are you getting your gears and what is your expected gearing ratio?

Thanks so much for you guidance Beto_pty!!!! It means a lot!! Really!!

Wow 42 kph is fast!

well I live in a pancakish place- But i intend to ride up some small hills - and ride down with the motor turned off.

- Yes gearing is another big concern for me- Now that you ask- I have absolutely no clue- what i should be doing with the gear setup and what will be the gear ratio.
I intend to use 8" or 10" pneumatic tyres.
Say i wanted to gear for about 45kph using the RCbazaar motor- whats the best way to go about doing that?

I've watched many videos and read up quite a bit about lipo batteries, Brushless motors and RC setups. Unfortunately the more I research the more confusing it gets. These questions still linger:

In case I add another motor- so the mountainboard would be powered by two motors on the back wheels- Does this have an effect on:

1. Overall speed of the Mountainboard (will it double the speed)
2. Two motors would mean two ESC. How are two ESC hooked up to the same receiver so that the throttle controls the speed of both motors equally? I've seen many electric board projects with two motors- but very little information about how they are hooked up the the reciever.
3. Whats the math behind you suggesting 6 of the 11.2 V RCbazaar Lipo vs the 22 v lipo? How do I calculate number of Lipos needed to power 1 and 2 motors? (is it just double the number of lipo for two motors?)
4. How do i calculate run time and range for a set of lipo batteries based on motor specifications?

I might sound like an annoying noob- asking questions that have been answered many times over on these forums. My apologies.

Thanks so much!

I suggest you go with a simple setup.. get rolling.. and then you will be able to decide what you want your final board to be like.. or you will decide that you need 4 final boards each with its own personality.. twin motor boards with double escs and twin gearing setups with double batteries might be a little over the top for a first build with a limited source like rc bazar.. anyways you can always add to your board.
Make a board, ride it, love it..make more.. No use buying thousands of dolars worth of stuff to fins that you need something different or it does not work as you expected it to.

6s 5000mah allow for about 9-12 kms of spirited/uphil riding or 12-14kms of cruising at my weight.. add maybe an aditional 20% range for your weight..

The change is cosmetic...You will make 2 sets of 3x11.1 lipos in paralel, then connect those 2 sets in series.. getting a similar mah capacity and identical voltage as your 22.2 setup, but in a much thinner (albeit wider) package. If you have no idea what I just said or it complicates matters too much... go for the 22.2v brick

Again where are you getting your gears and belts? and your final tire size (8 or 10) need to know both of these before i can suggest a ratio..
How are you making your motormount? welded or bolted? Buying it or DIY? there is still quite a bit you need to think about before you start buying stuff.

What gears are you planning on using... sdpi? #25 chain?
Using a 270 kv motor on 6s sporting 8 inch wheels and looking for 45 kph max will require a 1:5.5 size difference between your motor sprocket and wheel gear...
Id suggest going with #25 chain, You should be able to buy it in industrial gear companies locally, find an 8mm shaft. 10 tooth sprocket for the motor and a 55 tooth gear for the wheel.
http://dir.indiamart.com/cgi/catprdsearch.mp?ss=roller+chain+sprockets

Hey Than beto_pty- sorry for the delayed response.

So I’ve been pondering over the Electric mountainboard project. I think building the mountain board itself is going to be a huge task- and hence the overall project is an expensive affair. So I thought of taking ur advise and toning down the project to something cheaper more achievable since i’m an absolute newbie.

I got myself a penny board
http://www.pennyskateboards.com.au/penny-original-22-yellow-purple.html

it's a great skateboard for cruising around in the city- Though there aren't too many smooth roads/surfaces to skateboard around where I live- I know a couple of places near by that are perfect.

and So now am thinking of building an electric system like this for my penny board.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/424686603/kickr-electrify-every-longboard

Guidance about how to go about building this is much appreciated
I’ve found a local fabricator who can build a similar motor mount for me (one that justs fits my penny board)- however I have a lot of questions about the motor and electrical parts.

1. What motor do you think I will need for this (Power rating and size- so that i can source this)
2 What battery should I use (Power rating and size- so that i can source this)
3. The kickr electric motor is controlled by a foot pedalo in stead of a handheld transmitter (which i think is perfect for a small board like mine) what would i need to setup the motor and battery pack to operate with a tiny foot pedal.

I know my questions sound super stupid newbie like- my apologies :). It’s just that i’ve been dreaming of making my own motorized skateboard since The skateboard kid movie! Am a little late to the party but would really really appreciate all the guidance i can get to build this kickr like motor system for my penny board!

Thanks in advance guys!

Cheers

Vishwesh

An electric penny that's a first. There's not much room under that penny board and probably isn't that stable going downhill. You can see on the threads there's a nice one that is on a 28" board which probably is the smallest I would go.

Hey Toqueboards - yea i agree the penny maybe is a little too small- but i think it'll make a great electric saketboard. I think in the Kickr video- they have used the setup up on a penny like board (it looks even smaller)

see 1:23 onwards of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6igaL4q1FI#t=82

So far this is what I think i should be using for my penny board Kickr style e setup

Motor:
http://rcbazaar.com/products/2323-avionic-n5065-kv270-brushless-motor.aspx

ESC
http://rcbazaar.com/products/1284-avionic-100amp-esc.aspx

I'm still clueless about the batteries :( and also how do hook up the motor to a foot pedal

Any suggestions/guidance is much appreciated

Thanks!

Hi everyone, whats the easiest way to build the motor mount for e skateboard ?

Hi beto- pty,

If i use 245KV motor or any single motor driven on board. What should be the minimum battery watts? Can in run on 10 or 11.00 watts battery...the higher capacity battery is used for more power and more mileage ?

Thanks!

beto_pty said:
I suggest you go with a simple setup.. get rolling.. and then you will be able to decide what you want your final board to be like.. or you will decide that you need 4 final boards each with its own personality.. twin motor boards with double escs and twin gearing setups with double batteries might be a little over the top for a first build with a limited source like rc bazar.. anyways you can always add to your board.
Make a board, ride it, love it..make more.. No use buying thousands of dolars worth of stuff to fins that you need something different or it does not work as you expected it to.

6s 5000mah allow for about 9-12 kms of spirited/uphil riding or 12-14kms of cruising at my weight.. add maybe an aditional 20% range for your weight..

The change is cosmetic...You will make 2 sets of 3x11.1 lipos in paralel, then connect those 2 sets in series.. getting a similar mah capacity and identical voltage as your 22.2 setup, but in a much thinner (albeit wider) package. If you have no idea what I just said or it complicates matters too much... go for the 22.2v brick

Again where are you getting your gears and belts? and your final tire size (8 or 10) need to know both of these before i can suggest a ratio..
How are you making your motormount? welded or bolted? Buying it or DIY? there is still quite a bit you need to think about before you start buying stuff.

Beto seems to have done fine on flat ground on 4S. Typically, I recommend 6S. It's the cheapest and it does it's job. If you want more fun 8S, 10S is ideal. 6S is a 22.2V pack. Running at 11 watts won't get you much power.

Higher capacity allows you more riding distance. It's close to about 1ah/mile. You can get a little more than that though.

You can choose to swap packs and/or have a 10ah/10,000mah setup on your board.

If 22.2 Volts battery pack is used on single motor, in terms of time , in how much appox. minutes or hrs i will have to recharge it ?

Thanks!

torqueboards said:
Beto seems to have done fine on flat ground on 4S. Typically, I recommend 6S. It's the cheapest and it does it's job. If you want more fun 8S, 10S is ideal. 6S is a 22.2V pack. Running at 11 watts won't get you much power.

Higher capacity allows you more riding distance. It's close to about 1ah/mile. You can get a little more than that though.

You can choose to swap packs and/or have a 10ah/10,000mah setup on your board.

Can this motor mount assembly be used for E.S.

http://rc-car-online.de/shop/en/products/fid_fid046-fid046-electric-starter-unit-for-losi-5ive-t-and-hpi-baja-cars-2014-version.html

http://rc-car-online.de/shop/en/3008-replacement-parts.html

did anyone follow the instruction and made a youtube vid of the entire process?
i have no experience with DIY so im scared to try it. if all the materials cost $400, why are most eskateboards well over $1000???
to be honest, i might just get the yuneec e-go for $700. is that any good?

tung256 said:
did anyone follow the instruction and made a youtube vid of the entire process?
i have no experience with DIY so im scared to try it. if all the materials cost $400, why are most eskateboards well over $1000???
to be honest, i might just get the yuneec e-go for $700. is that any good?

If you go with most of the cheapest components. You might be able to hit the $400 dollar range. Most eBoards that are well over $1,000 are going dual motors and not a single motor which is most production boards besides boosted.

Yuneec E-Go seems like a very nice build at $700. Your limited at about 13-15 mph. If you don't plan on going faster it's a great deal. Some people have mentioned having issues with it and returning 2 or 3 boards because it didn't work properly. I'd like to try one but no need I guess.

so if the Yuneec is not a good reliable board, what would you suggest?
which companies make a good board to cost ratio?
thanks!

tung256 said:
so if the Yuneec is not a good reliable board, what would you suggest?
which companies make a good board to cost ratio?
thanks!

I would say it is a good board. Looks like it. I can't comment on that really as I haven't bought one personally. I am only mentioning it as I've heard.

I would give it a shot as I've heard their customer support is great.

The E-go is a good board, well worth the USD 700 in my opinion, but it depends on what you are using it for. It won't shoot up the steepest hills in San Fran or blow your hair back at 20 mph like a Boosted Board will. But if you want a quick way to cruise around town, get to and from work, run errands, or, frankly, just have fun without the sweat, the E-go is a good option. I've had problems with mine, sure, but their customer service department has solved those problems without fuss and I'm riding the same board that was shipped to me months ago.

Sry if my question is stupid but, does that boat esc need a watercooling solution to keep it cool? Cause it seems to have some fittings for it...

Back