From infineon to kelly - comparison?

Skedgy Sky

100 W
http://kellycontroller.com/kbl96351e24-96v350abldc-controllerwith-regen-p-1258.html

Rated at 350 motor amps for 30 seconds. 140 continuous. How's this compare to the infineon controllers? Will it give me that initial burst of current needed to outrun ICEs at the stop light (like infineons do)? :p

Seems like this is the highest amperage one they have for their 96V series.

Think I'd be happy with the performance coming from a hard-start 120 battery amp infineon (stuff like a 24FET) configuration? Or will I be left wishing I stuck with low priced higher power infineons?

Skedgy Sky said:
http://kellycontroller.com/kbl96351e24-96v350abldc-controllerwith-regen-p-1258.html

Rated at 350 motor amps for 30 seconds. 140 continuous. How's this compare to the infineon controllers? Will it give me that initial burst of current needed to outrun ICEs at the stop light (like infineons do)? :p

Seems like this is the highest amperage one they have for their 96V series.

Think I'd be happy with the performance coming from a hard-start 120 battery amp infineon (stuff like a 24FET) configuration? Or will I be left wishing I stuck with low priced higher power infineons?

I've never actually used the big Kelly controllers before, but based on my experience (and the experience of my friends) with the smaller KBS series the Kelly controllers are fully capable of doing nameplate power; thus a KBL96351 should actually give you 35kW phase for 30 seconds and 14kW phase for nigh unto forever; having no experience with the modified Infineon 24-FETs, I'm unsure whether they have the same burst current capabilities that the Kelly does. If the Infineon is capable of pulling 200-250 battery amps on startup for about 30 seconds and then quickly ramps the current back down to 120 amps, then you're basically getting similar performance already with that controller for roughly half the price. This also depends a lot on what size motor (and what size vehicle) you're looking to mate the controller to, as something like a mid-sized ebike could very easily become quite scary to handle (if not impossible) at 350A phase, and so you may not be able to use the extra power the Kelly would provide. On the other hand, I also don't know what motor you're using nor how fast you're spinning it, and I'm unsure of the maximum commutation frequency of the 24-FET Infineon; if it turns out that the Infineon has a very low top commutation frequency suited for a DD hub motor and you're looking to run a mid-drive system then you'll need to shell out for the Kelly in order to get the full use of your motor.

About throttle control on controllers Bluefang stated this:

My personal comparison between the different controllers abilities to relay throttle input is
Kelly controllers throttle is a 100 point throttle
Lyen controllers have ~20
Greentime controllers have ~5

Thats using a CA V3 and setting up the throttle as good as i can. Playing with the lyen and greentime controllers and then going to a kelly is a world of difference. The new Max-E controllers and Lebowskis hopefully beat the Kelly but atm for a cheap fully controllable controller then the kelly is hard to beat. Fyi Ask for a discount, it never hurts. I am running 2 KEB72801 controllers at 15kw peaks on 20S. So the pricing is not bad.

Kelly controllers Shit all over infineons imho. The throttle control with a Kelly is something you can only dream about with the infineons...

KiM

Only issue with going from a Infineon controller to a kelly is the start up current. For survivability reasons i guess the kellys REALLY limit the start up current. So for good take off you have to get a controller afew sizes bigger then you actually need. Limit the battery current but have the phase at max.

Infineons and green time have great take off power but really bad constant power, which makes them perfect for the avg pushbike build. If you start heading into motorcycle and bigger territory or you want really good throttle control then the kelly is very very good. Hopefully the adapto is a mix of both as the charging control, screen and BMS are awesome.

Back