Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

NeilP said:
ebike11 said:
Hi
Does anyone know what ThrO > Brake Out does?
I check the guide but cant seem to find it.
Thanks
From my reading of the guide...get the latest from the link posted above...section 5.3eBrakes

it is the setting that sets the throttle output when the EBK pad (the e-brake pad) is grounded..IE when the brakes are activated
So if for some reason you wanted the throttle to have some voltage on it even with the e-brake activated..this is where you would do it. This appears to be for use with people running electronic speed controllers that create a fault when throttle signal goes to zero. ...quote form the guide..

Some ESCs fault when the pulse width goes to zero so in those cases ThrO->BrakeOut can be set to a low non-zero value that is compatible with the particular ESC.

Thanks!!
I must have downloaded the older guide

I dont use ebrakes, so I assume to leave it at 0.00 ?
Thx!

justin_le said:
I've been going over many of the last 30 pages of posts and my memory trying to get most of them listed. At the moment, there are 16 planned bug fixes in the works:
View attachment 2

...Have you any idea when the id10001 is fixed?
with Cromotor and using a Torque Throttle it is the pure fear waiting of a real badass kick :cry:
yesterday i was near falling of the bike. it was damn close.
Cornering at slow speed, getting a 4-5KW kick after that was horror... :shock:

CA Setup utility reports error of :
Unable to detect CA firmware version, please select appropriate firmware version from the list..If you are using v3p6 this is normal and you should choose 3 from the list.

After accepting I then get an error about 4 settings not found

boot loader reports to be version 0202

Are these 'errors' somethign that will be addressed in future firmware or is there somethign I can do..like flash with an earlier firmware first, then go back to v3p6?

Before I wste any time with it..I have a Meanwell NFM 05 12 ac-dc swmps
Out put at 12 volt is max 0.42 amp.

Is that any where enough to run the CA with TDCM crank , 3 speed switch , aux pot, e-brakes...data logger etc? or is it too under powered.
Input is 20s lipo..

I had hoped to run this for the CA and have a second dc-dc for lights etc..to save the issues reported previously when running CA and accessories off the same 12v dc-dc dropper.

THe CA will run on 12VDC, but...it may not be able to save data during shutdown. Mine wouldn't, after I blew up it's normal traction-pack regulator via inattentiveness during initial wiring/setup, and had to use the low-voltage input instead.

15VDC input is the minimum I know for sure it will save data on shutdown properly with, though I guess if the caps are big enough maybe it would work anyway?

Umm. Yet the table talks about using 12 volt as input source to give maximum 5v current

When you say ' save data '. What are you meaning? Save the last run data like miles, Ah used etc?
Would be a bugger if that was the case

NeilP said:
Umm. Yet the table talks about using 12 volt as input source to give maximum 5v current

I don't know about that part--someone else will need to chime in on that. :?

When you say ' save data '. What are you meaning? Save the last run data like miles, Ah used etc?
Would be a bugger if that was the case
yeah, that's what I mean. When I used mine run by my 12V lighting pack, I had to write down anything I wanted to save because it would not always have time to save the data before it shutdown.

It is *possible* that the problem was because of the other damage to the main regulator system, but I sort of recall asking about it and the answer being that 12V simply might be not high enough to reliably work?

It might ahve been something else, in the minimum voltage setting "shutdown voltage"? having to be down lower like 10 or 11V when I ran it on 12V (cuz my headlight/turnsignals/etc would bring it down even lower momentarily, and I dind't wanna shutdown the CA on every such event). If that's the case, then it won't be an issue for you, and you can set hte shutdown voltage higher, closer to 12V, and it might work fine.

Can't remember.

You'd have to verify by experimentation. Easy way is to hook it up to the 12V source in question, and check out it's behavior at different levels of shutdown voltage (a setting in one of the CA menus).

I just installed my v3 and if I remember correctly from teklektic's user guide, VShutdown needs a minimum of 11v to save data properly. That kinda sucks for 12v supply with any sag at all.

I would assume that it triggers a save action when the VShutdown parameter is met...at that point your voltage is draining from the system, so anything under 11v might not have enough time to save correctly before voltage drops off completely.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I've only had a week of fiddling with this thing so far)

Is it normal for the CA display tobread -1 or -2 Amps on the main screen when the motor isnt running and at a stand still??

NeilP said:
CA Setup utility reports error of :
Unable to detect CA firmware version, please select appropriate firmware version from the list..If you are using v3p6 this is normal and you should choose 3 from the list.
After accepting I then get an error about 4 settings not found
boot loader reports to be version 0202

Are these 'errors' somethign that will be addressed in future firmware or is there somethign I can do..like flash with an earlier firmware first, then go back to v3p6?

Hi Neil, there aren't any actual errors here. The 4 settings not found note relates to a peculiarity that can and will be easily addressed in the next FW. At the moment you will find that if you read from the CA some of the setup menu mask variables in the OEM section don't show up. Nothing to worry about there (and if you do want to hide setup menu items missing here, just create a new settings file and you'll have them listed OK). The "no version detected" is also to be expected since firmware detection was not enabled in the P6 firmware. This is a future compatibility function so that when we release newer versions of firmware the software tool can automatically detect which one it is reading from and then adjust the list of parameters and options accordingly.

So that's all just a long-winded way to say everything is working as expected for you.

Merlin said:
justin_le said:
I've been going over many of the last 30 pages of posts and my memory trying to get most of them listed. At the moment, there are 16 planned bug fixes in the works:
View attachment 2
with Cromotor and using a Torque Throttle it is the pure fear waiting of a real badass kick :cry:

Just to confirm Merlin you are using a 4-5 kW ebike system with PAS control mode? Or are you getting a burst of power when you release the ebrakes even when not in a PAS mode but just running a power throttle?

Architectonic said:
Does anyone have any information on fixing the CAv3 boot issue, where it doesn't boot up every time (but the back light turns on)?

Edit - got an email reply now.

OK, for people who have experienced bugID 10006 where the CA3 sometimes boots to a blank screen, the attached bootloader patch program should help get things starting continuously.

1. Install the firmware CA3_BootloadFix_V01.hex using the CA3 firmware update tool
BootloaderFix.jpg

2. After the CA is flashed, it will boot with the above screen for a few seconds and then show this:
DelayCount.jpg

Pressing the button will cycle between 0,1,2 or 3 NOP delay counts. What this is doing is letting you select the number of tiny delay cycles to insert inside the bootloader code.

3. Hold the button at 1 Delay Count. The screen should then say Update Success
View attachment 2

4. Now turn the power off and on the CA a whole bunch of times and see if the boot issue is fixed. If it turns on 100% of the time, then great. If it STILL sometimes fails to boot, then repeat steps 2-4, but using 2 or 3 for the delay counts.

5. Reflash with the attached version of the CA3_Prelim6_NoEeprom firmware which has no settings in it, and then the CA3 will be back as it was with exactly the same settings as you had before.

We've tested this on a small handful of units that we got which were able to consistently reproduce the bad booting issue, and in all cases it seems to have done the trick. But if you take a unit that boots perfectly all the time, and then add one of these delays, it is possible to make a good unit have the booting issue. Going back to 0 delay count will restore it as it was before running the tool.

Attachments

• CA3_BootloadFix_V01.zip
    95.5 KB · Views: 175
Hello again.

I am converting two CA-DP`s into DPS`s. The first one i did like the manual tells me to on page 57. For some reasson that did not work. No speed is reported on the CA. I have still not had time to find the problem, so probably just a glitch somewhere by me doing it... But for the second one, it dawned on me that I do not actually have to open it up, do I? Is there any good reasson why I can not do this conversion by rewireing on the outside of the enclosure? This one will be using the external shunt, so in theory I can just hook up to common ground and the "Sp" (yellow) from the breakout cable?

justin_le said:
Merlin said:

Just to confirm Merlin you are using a 4-5 kW ebike system with PAS control mode? Or are you getting a burst of power when you release the ebrakes even when not in a PAS mode but just running a power throttle?

I get a badass Power Kickin about 4-5KW (i see it for a second on the ca display) when i use the PAS + Throttle (override) and start pedaling again.
(I know the Problem that kicks in when you are using ebrakes and start pedaling in same time or close to)
BUT this is not really the same (i think know)

i cant reproduce it 100% clear. Let me try it to reproduce it with a camera onboard. I will report immediately back.
all i have changed is the controller (from Infineon to Sabvoton...and their using a torque throttle signal (not speed))

edit: my Throttle Ramp Settings are 99,99v/sec because its a torque throttle and you dont need ramp settings. maybe it kicks so much in because there is no ramp?!

Just done the High voltage mod.
r1 r2 8.09k and 175 k
Scaling at 122.

Volt display all good.

H.V line (82 volt) and 15 volt power feed to v batt both power off at same time.

input of dc-dc convertor is common ground, input to output

V+ 15 volt supply is capable of 1 amp...at 110-240 v AC.

all seems good.....but

On shut down get a 'Low Voltage' warning before shut dwon.

So V batt is shutting off before the dc-dc convertor drops its output power to below a level .

is the OK, or an indication that data will not be saved on shutdown?

Should i maybe change V Shutdown to a higher voltage?

underdog said:
Hello again.

I am converting two CA-DP`s into DPS`s. The first one i did like the manual tells me to on page 57. For some reasson that did not work. No speed is reported on the CA. I have still not had time to find the problem, so probably just a glitch somewhere by me doing it...

The primary reason for this would be not changing the #poles setting down to 1.

But for the second one, it dawned on me that I do not actually have to open it up, do I? Is there any good reasson why I can not do this conversion by rewireing on the outside of the enclosure? This one will be using the external shunt, so in theory I can just hook up to common ground and the "Sp" (yellow) from the breakout cable?

Exactly, there is no reason not to connect the speed sensor to the yellow wire that is brought out of the stand alone shunt and hook up the speedo there. Usually this is closer to the back of the bike and so lets you do a rear wheel sensor and spoke magnet which look cleaner than on the front fork.

NeilP said:
On shut down get a 'Low Voltage' warning before shut dwon.
So V batt is shutting off before the dc-dc convertor drops its output power to below a level .
is the OK, or an indication that data will not be saved on shutdown?

This is a sign that the data IS saving correctly. After the data is saved to non-volatile memory, if the CA still has enough power to stay alive but at a voltage lower than VShutdown, then it will simply display the text Low Voltage until either it looses power or the voltage rises above the threshold again.

Should i maybe change V Shutdown to a higher voltage?

If anything that will make this behavior even more pronounced. Your setup all seems fine so no need to change it. If you wanted to not have the low volts screen visible for very long, then you could put a small capacitor on the Vex pad and then it would take longer before the CA goes into shutdown saving mode, but too large of a cap and you'll mess up the data saving.

-Justin

justin_le said:
underdog said:
Hello again.

I am converting two CA-DP`s into DPS`s. The first one i did like the manual tells me to on page 57. For some reasson that did not work. No speed is reported on the CA. I have still not had time to find the problem, so probably just a glitch somewhere by me doing it...

The primary reason for this would be not changing the #poles setting down to 1.

Thank you Justin. So I figured to, but Still nothing. But probably my bad somewhere... :)

It would be nice if the cycle analyst had 3 lines of display. This way we can permanently have the Temp, Total Miles and AH showing.

Just an idea for a newer version.

for god's sake justin is not apple. ;) we would have CAs with 10 lines by now and would be forced to upgrade because an internal battery only lasts 2 years. ;)
i guess one of the future firmwares will address your request as it will let you choose which values to be displayed on one screen.

Alternately, since the CA has a serial output that sends (AFAIK) all it's displayed data continously, you could send that to something that translates that serial data into USB or BlueTooth or whatever, and onto your Android phone, and then use an app (one may already exist) to display that data as you like on that. ;)

izeman said:
for god's sake justin is not apple. ;) we would have CAs with 10 lines by now and would be forced to upgrade because an internal battery only lasts 2 years. ;)
i guess one of the future firmwares will address your request as it will let you choose which values to be displayed on one screen.

That would be nice because I need to monitor the temps constantly. I already overheated a motor and melted the glue. I find myself constantly looking down to wait for the temp to show up.

I find it kind of dangerous to keep having to look down while riding and taking my eyes off the road or path.

I off-road my bike a lot and its always close to overheating so I'm always on the threshold.

I'm not complaining here, just trying to give input. Optimally it would be nice to have a 3 line display but having it stay on constantly would be nice, or maybe have it stay on 90% of the time and the other values 10% as I look at those far less, but look at those nevertheless.

Regarding Xie Chang/ Infineon style) contollers and pad SL1 and pad SL

In the UUG I see mentioned that the CA V3 uses pad SL1 as its throttle connection.

I also know that on all the controllers I have seen so far, a pad labelled SL, is the pas that when grounded imoposed the all encompasing Speed Limit speed as set by the programming software for the controller.

I had been hoping to use the standard SL pad via an RFID switch, (the pad being grounded when the RFID tag was not near the bike) so no matter what settings anyone tried to adjust on the CA, the controller woudl be limited to my chosen Speed Limit speed.

So, the question is, with regard to the EB3xx controllers...is there now an SL pad AND the new SL1 pad that I have not seen before..or has the SL pad been re purposed and if so is there still an pad that performes this Speed Limit function?

I do understand that I could use the Aux function for what I am proposing, getting the RFID to activat one of the presets..but then I loose a preset and the Aux function for other uses.

Back