28,000 watt Motoped with 3kwh of nano-tech

Matt, yet another awesome build. I look forward to seeing this one come together.

This is going to be the heaviest build I have ever accomplished. I am guessing it will weigh around 125 pounds. That is primarily because of the extremely heavy chassis (heavy by bicycle standards) and the huge 72ah pack. So, I am a little unsure what to expect. Obviously the bike rides well with nominal power based on the fact that it is designed for a basic 49cc engine. This chassis and suspension is the most stout I have ever built an E-bike around. But, it is unclear how much performance I can expect from it. I am not necessarily looking for top-fueler power, but, I want to make sure it has a surplus of torque. That is the reason for the relatively low gearing of 40mph. That may seem like a lot of speed, but remember, this is the drive that pushed the 100 pound Outrider trike to 86mph. Geared for 40mph, it should be a real handful. Also, my Hooligan is only running one of these motors and it is geared for 47mph [but weighs 1/2 as much]. So, I am looking at lower gearing with the same horsepower-per-pound of the Hooligan. But, my body weight will only affect the performance 1/2 as much as with the Hooligan because the bike weighs twice as much. So, I am guessing it will be around 50% more acceleration potential (roughly) than the Hooligan. Should be about perfect.

Today I begin the support structure for the battery box.

Matt

I spent 3 hours on the bike today. I finished the hard points for the battery box on the frame and I fabricated the battery box angle mount plates as well as beginning the box itself. I spent a huge amount of time making sure everything was very square. I set the bike upside down on the bench and clamped a straight tube from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle and used that as a reference. I also double checked the alignment in relation to the large aluminum swing arm pivot/jackshaft bearing sideplates on the frame.

Since I do not have a sheet metal break, I drilled a series of holes along each bend to make it bend easily. I will TIG and smooth the holes when the box is done.

This box is actually big enough to hold nearly 100ah of Lipo. I have 72ah right now. I will probably go up to 80ah and use the rest of the room in the box for various electric bits that were originally going to be in a separate enclosure.

I plan on building this bike to be somewhat weather proof for winter riding. That is part of the reason the box is in front with the motors behind. I did not want the motors to be under the box with the batteries above because it would be very difficult to weather proof the drive system and motors that way. Plus, I think this look is better.

I am torn between making the front of the box curved to match the tire, versus making that curve with a few angles instead. It all depends on what look I am going after.

Thoughts?

Matt

Attachments

• 100_8446.JPG
    100_8446.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 100_8449.JPG
    100_8449.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 100_8447.JPG
    100_8447.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 3,338
  • 100_8455.JPG
    100_8455.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 3,338
  • 100_8458.JPG
    100_8458.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,179
Top job Matt, but I think you already knew that! Definitely up the alley of what I'm trying to achieve. I found, when it comes to bending plate without a press another handy trick is to score the plate with a 1mm angle grinder cut out off wheel to roughly half the thickness of the material. I was doing a 3mm trench into 6mm plate then bending inwards toward the cut then tig weld over the closed cut if you know what I mean. Works ok depending on wha angle you need.

On the cooling of the astro. Would the water cooling I have in mind for mine deliver 6kw continous and 12kw peak? In a perfect world cooling wise how much could these motors produce?

Looking forward to how this one turns out. Looks real nice.

I was under the impression that Motoped would be offering a regular bicycle sized seat tube assembly for the electric users of there frames. For my thinking the MC style seat only makes sense if you are not going to use pedals and even then I would want the ability to lower the saddle when riding down steeper trails. The MC style seat seems needed for a gas bike because of the exhaust pipe sitting under it but because you are not going with a gasser have you thought about fabricating a bicycle seat tube in your modifications to this frame and ditching the motor cycle style seat?

Good luck, I am sure this bike will be awesome!

I have been thinking about seat options for some time now. The bike kit took 6 months to receive and I have thought about the seat most of that time. I like the idea of a bicycle seat if for no other reason than it makes the bike look more bicycle like and should reduce police stops. However, if you have ever ridden a dirt bike, there are times you want to slide up to the tank to rail around corners, or slide back on the seat at other times. That is not possible with a bike seat. Also, my riding style (on a dirt bike) is that I occasionally land off smaller jumps with some weight on the seat. You need a larger seat for that. Beyond that, a bike seat looks really tiny on this thing. I plan on trying the factory seat for now, and move to a bicycle seat if I do not like how it rides. It is one less thing to fabricate, too. :)

Oh, I love the removable seat subframe on this thing. It is awesome.

One last thing, I installed the side panels (faux radiator shrouds) and they look really good with this layout. So, for esthetic reasons too, I want to initially build it with the stock seat and see how I like it.

Matt

Hi Matt,
I have a concern about the layout of the belt.
I admire how you route it around the 2 motor sprockets in a very compact space,
but I see the belt run up and down almost the entire distance to the top motor and
with the teeth facing each other at very close distance. I expect that any vibration
will cause the belt to sway enough that the opposing teeth will engage with each other,
while moving in opposite direction! Have you witnessed this on your builds?
Great engineering BTW, a lot of power in a small package, this will certainly
make this type of bikes popular.
Cor.

I did some plasma cutting and TIG welding today. The box is 1/8 inch 6061. I ran out of gas or I would have finished the welding.

I like the overall look of the bike so far. I know it will perform well. I want to make sure it looks good.

Man this thing is freakin HUGE!

Matt

Oh, also, I used a carpenter's square and checked the rear suspension, it is NOT falling rate. It is slightly rising rate.

Attachments

• 100_8474.JPG
    100_8474.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 2,991
  • 100_8484.JPG
    100_8484.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 2,991
  • 100_8486.JPG
    100_8486.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 2,991
NICE ! :mrgreen:

Will you heat-treat the box, or use it as is?

-JD

I like how the battery is using some space that is normally wasted and ignored. It's very useful to put the battery weight there. Nicely done, sir!

I am using every available cubic inch of space for this system. I want huge power, huge range, and phenomenal handling.

What I am hoping for is twice the power of a Stealth and better handling.

Matt

So how much is this selling for? I'm waiting to see it in the classified section:lol:
I really like the idea of these crossover bikes. Too bad the single track by me is perfect, which makes it a hotbed for lycra wearers. I'd get kicked off in a heartbeat if someone saw me ride that thing on our trails. These motopeds though are the best of both worlds IMHO. What do you think Pastrana could do on a bike like this?
Impressive build.

Beautiful work as always Matt...
Would like to see it with smaller diameter wheels though, just didn't look quite right with
Large OD wheels imho...

're: Travis Pastrana... He would demolish this in a few jumps no doubt about it...not before back flipping it though.. perhaps jumping out of a plane on it too?...who really knows what that guys thinking lol

Look forward to more up dates Matt

KiM

AussieJester said:
Beautiful work as always Matt...
Would like to see it with smaller diameter wheels though, just didn't look quite right with
Large OD wheels imho...

're: Travis Pastrana... He would demolish this in a few jumps no doubt about it...not before back flipping it though.. perhaps jumping out of a plane on it too?...who really knows what that guys thinking lol

Look forward to more up dates Matt

KiM

I agree about the large wheels. Of course, this is based on a downhill bike. So, I guess from that standpoint it looks fine. But, I prefer smaller wheels. The rear is a 24 inch already. But, the tire is so freakishly huge, it makes the OD 25.5, not 24.......

Matt

Back