New Bafang Crank-Drives

oldhippie said:
Hi all! New here. This thread is great!!! Just received 25amp 750w kit with 48v 11amp/hr bottle battery from Halomotor. Hope to get it installed in my Specialized hard rock SE '29er this week end. Hope all goes well... Have Avid bb7 calipers and larger rotors coming, figure I'll need them???

Please post a thread on your install oldhippie! I'll read it to see how your installation goes. I'm waiting for my motor and expect it week after next.

amigafan2003 said:
It only catches out the inept/inexperienced mechanics.
We depend on you, the world class expert, born with the skills and knowledge, to enlighten us. The unwashed. :roll: Coming here toe learn hardly deserves "inept".

Don't where start a new thread but I will relay my install story. First I'm 66 with chronic fatigue and haven't owned a bike since college. We are moving to a bike friendly beach town and figure a bike is kooler than a rascal? Anyway After reading up I ordered a 750w bafang and 11ah bottle mount battery from halomotor. Then I went shopping for a bike. I'm 220+lbs and with the battery and motor weight I wanted something strong with disc brakes. One of my rock crawler friends is the manager of a local bike shop and got me a deal on a Speclized Hardrock 29SE. I added a rack and box to go shopping and adjustable stem with high rise bars and different seat (not happy with the 3 seats I' tried). Unit arrived in about 3 weeks, better than I expected. it seems to be the latest 25 amp unit, a pleasant unexpected surprise. There were no directions with the unit but found some online and printed them out, but they aren't great. I got the four tools (park) the bike shop said I needed and went to work. The crank puller worked as it should but I couldn't loosen the bottom bracket retainers with the short ratchet I had. Actually pulled a muscle trying? Took it too local shop and the guy had to jump on the three foot handle he had to break it loose. 20 dollar tool, 10 bucks labor. Unit fits perfect in the bottom bracket but the tools to tighten the new bottom bracket nuts were next to useless and the two screws in the kit for the clamping plate were too long. Went to ACE and got a couple shorter screws but too short for lock-washers, so blue lock tight. On my frame I could not get a good straight "hook" with the spanner for the 4 slotted center nut and resorted to the punch and big hammer method. I am surprised there isn't a socket for that nut?? The socket for the "notched" locknut is not deep enough to get a bite on the nut and big spanner won't fit around the motor??? Bike shop had no solution?? I'm gonna bore the center of the socket out and use a wrench on it when I get home to my shop but for now, lock tight. Two nuts ya can get a normal deep socket on would be nicer setup. Next issue was mounting the display to my bars??? They are the smaller (grip) size and the insets were too big and too small. Fixed with some rubber off old inner tube from bike shop. Other issue was breaking the chain to get front derailuar off. After messing with it, went to the bike shop. Guy had a Kool plier thing for that, $5 labor. The speed sensor needed smaller wire ties than I brought with me. Not in kit, another trip to ACE, 8 bucks for 100. The levers that come in the kit are junk. My rear brake cable is pretty tight because of the riser bars and the adjuster bent?? It was only screwed out about 3/8". They are Both screwed in now (adjusted at caliper) I will change cables when the Avid BB7 calipers and larger rotors arrive. At any rate it is together and it works!! I am pretty happy with the little ride I took. It is a little jerky on and off in slow going but nothing I can't deal with. Really nice power, even in setting one. I did get it up over 20 mph but maybe faster because I haven't figured out how to get into advanced setting to change wheel size?? Anyway that's my story. Hope it helps someone.

Interesting set of brake sensors if you want to use your existing cable levers:-

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/brake-sensor-2-for-8fun-bafang-center-motor-middle-drive-motor-kit/904105_1998531087.html

tomjasz said:
amigafan2003 said:
We depend on you, the world class expert, born with the skills and knowledge, to enlighten us. The unwashed. :roll: Coming here toe learn hardly deserves "inept".

I'm sorry but if you do something wrong then you're inept. The reasons why are irrelevant and does not change that fact.

I was inept regarding bicycles once - but then I read, practiced, went on some training and practiced some more until I was no longer inept. Inept is just what everyone is in the beginning - don't be insulted by the word - it's just a word.

amigafan2003 said:
tomjasz said:
amigafan2003 said:

I'm sorry but if you do something wrong then you're inept. The reasons why are irrelevant and does not change that fact.

I was inept regarding bicycles once - but then I read, practiced, went on some training and practiced some more until I was no longer inept. Inept is just what everyone is in the beginning - don't be insulted by the word - it's just a word.
Yes, that pesky English again. I should have been aware and checked locations. we use words differently. In US English usage, inept, "having or showing no skill." Oxford, "not skilled or effective:" As an avid reader I find a difference in the usage. You read "not effective", I read "no skill" ,quite a difference when referencing someones trials at building their first E Bike. Sepearated by a common language. :lol:

oldhippie said:
The levers that come in the kit are junk.

We should note that different suppliers use varying levers. Both brake lever sets on my bikes, from two different suppliers, are different manufacturers. Both are every bit a nice as those on any bike I've seen in to $500-$1000 range. I prefer the set shipped from Lectric Cycles in the USA, but the versions shipped with a EM3ev kit have proved to be just as functional. Just not as good a fit for my hands.

tomjasz said:
oldhippie said:
The levers that come in the kit are junk.

We should note that different suppliers use varying levers. Both brake lever sets on my bikes, from two different suppliers, are different manufacturers. Both are every bit a nice as those on any bike I've seen in to $500-$1000 range. I prefer the set shipped from Lectric Cycles in the USA, but the versions shipped with a EM3ev kit have proved to be just as functional. Just not as good a fit for my hands.

See my post above - you can use any cable lever you like.

amigafan2003 said:
Interesting set of brake sensors if you want to use your existing cable levers:-

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/brake-sensor-2-for-8fun-bafang-center-motor-middle-drive-motor-kit/904105_1998531087.html

You tried those brake sensors? I've got hydraulics right now but will get at least a front BB7 mechanical pull with 200 rotor and might like to try that.

Bafang will launch BBSXX motors with torque sensor at Eurobike. Im not going this year, so perhaps some one can go and check it out and ride it and give a report. Last year they were in the Zeplin hanger.

oldhippie said:
Don't where start a new thread but I will relay my install story.
Thanks for sharing oldhippie! You have given me some things to watch out for during my installation.

I can get my bottom bracket off with no problems as I discovered yesterday while tearing down the bike to see what would be involved. The only hiccup was the crappy crank puller tool. :oops: I've ordered a ParkTool version to replace the Bikehand POS that came with my "Pro" tool kit. :shock:

The front derailleur is not assembled with screws for the left and right side and is instead riveted. :| I don't want to break the chain to get it off or saw it apart so I'll drill out the rivets for removal and find some low profile screws to refasten it together or use pull rivets should I ever wish to reverse the surgery on the bike.

The issues you had with affixing the motor to the bottom bracket has me concerned. I'll be keeping an eye for potential problems during my assembly with your story in mind.

Now, the only thing I have to do is wait a little longer for the motor to arrive.

Again, thanks for sharing your experiences.

On em3ev.com is now avaliable 750w with 25A controller for 499$.

I'm a newbie; haven't yet ordered a kit. I'm wanting to convert my 2 recumbents, but I wonder if the weight of the motor up high and forward on the frame will be a problem for handling? Anyone know of any recumbents that have been converted?

ediehl said:
I'm a newbie; haven't yet ordered a kit. I'm wanting to convert my 2 recumbents, but I wonder if the weight of the motor up high and forward on the frame will be a problem for handling? Anyone know of any recumbents that have been converted?

Quite a few have. Using search parameters including this forum in google will get lots of hits with direst information while you wait for specifics. It will also also be helpful to add your location to you profile as well as the brand and model of bike. You'll get better and faster help that way.

http://bit.ly/1kmPArq

Thanks, I'll have a look. My recumbents are an HP Velotechnik Street Machine and a RANS Vivo. I've also ordered a hub-drive Prodeco Phantom X3, but don't have it yet

ediehl said:
Thanks, I'll have a look. My recumbents are an HP Velotechnik Street Machine and a RANS Vivo. I've also ordered a hub-drive Prodeco Phantom X3, but don't have it yet
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104&p=915855&hilit=Velotechnik#p915855

Some candy for the day

Here is my 2013 Bad Boy 1 with a BBS02 750w and 48v 11Ah battery from Cellman.
Also fitted is a Sturmey Archer S3K 3 speed hub. I will detail the build and another build in the Photos and Videos section when i get the time.

View attachment 3
DSC00007small.jpg
DSC00013small.jpg
DSC00019small.jpg

eMax said:
Some candy for the day

Here is my 2013 Bad Boy 1 with a BBS02 750w and 48v 11Ah battery from Cellman.
Also fitted is a Sturmey Archer S3K 3 speed hub. I will detail the build and another build in the Photos and Videos section when i get the time.

View attachment 3
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

Damn you....that was plan project.:)

Was it easy getting bbs02 on to the cannondale bb30 ?

Melbourne said:

Yeah it was. Its actually not the tightest fit. I used some fibreglass tape around the shaft of the BBS02 to make it a more snug :)
The Bad Boys are very solid though. One of the best frames i've seen on this type of bike.

The lefty fork is a little unsettling at first but people have assured me its very strong. Id change the factory tyres though if you ever plan on riding in the wet.

eMax said:
Melbourne said:

Yeah it was. Its actually not the tightest fit. I used some fibreglass tape around the shaft of the BBS02 to make it a more snug :)
The Bad Boys are very solid though. One of the best frames i've seen on this type of bike.

The lefty fork is a little unsettling at first but people have assured me its very strong. It change the factory tyres though if you ever plan on riding in the wet.

Lefty Fork looks awesome and strong enough...I was waiting for a new/better version of bbs02 before starting my Bad Boy project...but u beat me too it. I was a bit worry about the bottom bracket...but u sorted that out for me ;)

Eye candy
IMG_0294small_zps5c4c2117.jpg

oldhippie said:
Eye candy

Nice one. Looks like a great trail you have to ride. how does the bike handle the rough stuff with the extra weight? Lots of space in that helmet case for all the goodies!

Back