BBS02 36V vs 48v?

cwah

100 MW
Hello,

I'd like to reach 50km/h on my bike on a BBS. I think the BBS02 48V would allow me to do that but I have 2 batteries of 36V. I'd like not to dismantle my batteries to get 48V and I was wondering if the 36V is almost the same as the 48V?
I'm thinking to get this one:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/36v-500w-8fun-bafang-motor-BBS02-crank-Motor-eletric-bicycles-trike-ebike-kits/1957204198.html

But it looks like the 48V may be the one allowing me to reach my target:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/48v-750w-8fun-bafang-motor-BBS02-New-design-for-the-controller-crank-Motor-eletric-bicycles-trike/1982672009.html

Any help? Or shall I dismantle my batteries? (long and annoying and painful for me)

Thanks

cwah said:
I can do that. But I'd like not to spend a fortune as I already spent a lot
Are you comfortable with HK LiPo?

You can put together a 5Ah 12S pack for less than $100. - On my BBS02-750W hardtail, I can get up to 20 miles on a 12S-5Ah block (3S1P of Turnigy 4S Hard Case Packs)

Wether you'll reach 50 km/h with the 36v 500 W motor depends on how aero your bike and riding position is. My 250 W 36V BBS01 will just reach 40 km/h on level ground if I bend down and use the throttle, but it's limited by the gear ratio of my bike. I would go for the 36v 500 W if it was me since you have the batteries already. The 500 W motor is probably much more powerful than 500 W in reality. My 250 W motor will output about 520 W to the rear wheel with the throttle.

My bike is a steel cyclocross with fenders, 35mm tires and a rear rack.

teslanv said:
cwah said:
I can do that. But I'd like not to spend a fortune as I already spent a lot
Are you comfortable with HK LiPo?

You can put together a 5Ah 12S pack for less than $100. - On my BBS02-750W hardtail, I can get up to 20 miles on a 12S-5Ah block (3S1P of Turnigy 4S Hard Case Packs)

I'm actually using lipo now. But it's neither the cheapest solution or safest or even lightest. I switched to 18650 which are better in most point.

The only reason to use lipo is for high C rate which is not my case

tahustvedt said:
Wether you'll reach 50 km/h with the 36v 500 W motor depends on how aero your bike and riding position is. My 250 W 36V BBS01 will just reach 40 km/h on level ground if I bend down and use the throttle, but it's limited by the gear ratio of my bike. I would go for the 36v 500 W if it was me since you have the batteries already. The 500 W motor is probably much more powerful than 500 W in reality. My 250 W motor will output about 520 W to the rear wheel with the throttle.

That's what I'm wondering too. Maybe a 36v bbs02 with a nice road bike would allow me to reach my target of 30mph?

cwah said:
tahustvedt said:

That's what I'm wondering too. Maybe a 36v bbs02 with a nice road bike would allow me to reach my target of 30mph?

I installed a 750W BBS02 to a nice road bike (at least it was decent; Trek) and hit 52kph with no pedaling on full WOT. That's about 33 mph, so I don't think the 36V would hit 30mph unmodified . Maybe close.

cwah said:
I'm actually using lipo now. But it's neither the cheapest solution or safest or even lightest. I switched to 18650 which are better in most point.

You would want at least a 10Ah battery with 18650 cells. The Sammy 20R or 25R cells are a good choice, but you will spend $500+ for a 10Ah battery with those cells. 5Ah of HK LiPo for $100 is the cheapest initial cost. Not cheapest for lifetime. That would be a Ping LiFePO4 or a Leaf Cell.

cal3thousand said:
cwah said:
tahustvedt said:

I installed a 750W BBS02 to a nice road bike (at least it was decent; Trek) and hit 52kph with no pedaling on full WOT. That's about 33 mph, so I don't think the 36V would hit 30mph unmodified . Maybe close.

Yes maybe I should get the 48v one then and dismantle my battery :(

Just didn't want to waste my time :/

teslanv said:
cwah said:

You would want at least a 10Ah battery with 18650 cells. The Sammy 20R or 25R cells are a good choice, but you will spend $500+ for a 10Ah battery with those cells. 5Ah of HK LiPo for $100 is the cheapest initial cost. Not cheapest for lifetime. That would be a Ping LiFePO4 or a Leaf Cell.

I don't want to go into a debate on this thread. I've done enough homework to know that 18650 are better than lipo for low C rate application. In price, reliability, safety, gravimetric density and time. If you want cheap, I advise you to get these samsung ICR18650-26F which are cheaper, lighter and more reliable than lipo. You need to invest and learn a bit, but you'll save time at the end not messing around wires harness.

I'll be building a low Current battery for my son's Razor MX500, so the 26F's might be a good fit for that. Where have you found the 26F cells the cheapest?

teslanv said:
I'll be building a low Current battery for my son's Razor MX500, so the 26F's might be a good fit for that. Where have you found the 26F cells the cheapest?

you can find them from most battery wholesalers (eg. Keeppower, power trading...) or for the cheapest of the cheap you can buy dismantled ones:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.339.jamhCk&id=37463545345&ns=1#detail

cal3thousand said:
cwah said:
tahustvedt said:

Sure you weren't just limited by the gear ratio?

On my 750W 25A BBS02 with the Controller programmed for "Unlimited Speed" I can get right around 35 mph on the Flat, WOT. That's with 48T Chainring, 11T Rear Sprocket & 26" Diameter Wheels, and riding as aerodynamically as possible.

Down a 10%+ Grade, I have had it over 46 mph.

[youtube]m3OTzz9UBGA[/youtube]

teslanv said:
On my 750W 25A BBS02 with the Controller programmed for "Unlimited Speed" I can get right around 35 mph on the Flat, WOT. That's with 48T Chainring, 11T Rear Sprocket & 26" Diameter Wheels, and riding as aerodynamically as possible.

I got 350W 36V with 53T/11T 700c... I can get 50Kph but it alot of hard work. 350W 36V is not powerfull enough to drive the gear ratio.

I can comfortably do just under 40kph with throttle...

And i dont want to go any higher than this as it too dangerous on a bike...50kph is crazy on bike track/path.

Back