4500+ Miles US Ebike Tour - August 2014

If you get near Des Moines, I have plenty of parts to help you fix your hot connectors. I use crimp style Ring Terminals and use little bolt and nut with tape for my connections, that may work depending on whether or not you need to disconnect them a lot. I wired a charging port so I never have to disconnect the batteries.

Regarding places to stay, as I said on the first page, if you change routes southward to Phoenix while in AZ, you've got a room at my house if you need it.

Regarding the hot connectors, if your charger has a fan, have you tried placing it so it moves its air (hot or not, it's better than nothing over the connector block?

amberwolf said:
Regarding places to stay, as I said on the first page, if you change routes southward to Phoenix while in AZ, you've got a room at my house if you need it.

Regarding the hot connectors, if your charger has a fan, have you tried placing it so it moves its air (hot or not, it's better than nothing over the connector block?

That's a good idea AW, except that my charger is bolted to the back of the bike and I can't move the connector. Thank you very much for the gracious offer and if I make it out there I will certainly stop by. I'm not sure if I'm going to head that far west yet, still have to determine that.

Others may scoff, but you can make a good connection with hardware store wire nuts, if you need to where you can't solder.

Two or three things you might add to your diet for increasing your energy and endurance. No doubt you may already be taking some extra b12, or at least a multivitamin. You don't want to get run down and sick, so b12 will boost your immune system.

The other two I take daily to cope with my chronic post viral fatigue. They are perfectly safe, your body makes both already. But a bit more now will keep you perky. You can find them in any pharmacy, or larger store like a Walmart.

Coenzyme Q10. This is required for the functioning of your mitochondria, which burn your sugar. Extra Q10 is a powerful antioxidant, and will clean your blood of all the byproducts of respiration, or diet that you don't piss away easy. Cleans up the free radicals stuff you get from eating cooked foods. I take 100 mg in the AM.

Creatine. Your body burns sugar by turning ATP into ADP. And your body makes creatine to turn the ADP back into ATP. Its also found in red meat, and is why steak makes you stronger than eggs. 5-8 grams a day is commonly used by those who work out hard. It will shorten your recovery time, help you not be too tired to eat, help you sleep better because you digest faster. It can be taken as a pill, but I like the power that makes a drink because I can dose myself slowly through the whole day. You tend to have plenty of natural creatine in the AM, so I take mine closer to noon, and the afternoon.

jerrydubois3 said:
If you get near Des Moines, I have plenty of parts to help you fix your hot connectors. I use crimp style Ring Terminals and use little bolt and nut with tape for my connections, that may work depending on whether or not you need to disconnect them a lot. I wired a charging port so I never have to disconnect the batteries.

That's funny because I use that EXACT same termination method at another point in the harness, and it doesn't heat up at all. However, if I'm going to do that, then I'll probably just remove the connectors altogether and solder them, since I only really need to terminate 2 wires at each of those points.

Have you hit Indiana yet?

How do you choose your route? I assume the bigger the road means more straight shots and less distance, but obviously you're not taking highways, so do you just sort of look at the map each morning and pick a road, or do you have this more planned out?

dogman said:
Two or three things you might add to your diet for increasing your energy and endurance. No doubt you may already be taking some extra b12, or at least a multivitamin. You don't want to get run down and sick, so b12 will boost your immune system.

The other two I take daily to cope with my chronic post viral fatigue. They are perfectly safe, your body makes both already. But a bit more now will keep you perky. You can find them in any pharmacy, or larger store like a Walmart.

Coenzyme Q10. This is required for the functioning of your mitochondria, which burn your sugar. Extra Q10 is a powerful antioxidant, and will clean your blood of all the byproducts of respiration, or diet that you don't piss away easy. Cleans up the free radicals stuff you get from eating cooked foods. I take 100 mg in the AM.

Creatine. Your body burns sugar by turning ATP into ADP. And your body makes creatine to turn the ADP back into ATP. Its also found in red meat, and is why steak makes you stronger than eggs. 5-8 grams a day is commonly used by those who work out hard. It will shorten your recovery time, help you not be too tired to eat, help you sleep better because you digest faster. It can be taken as a pill, but I like the power that makes a drink because I can dose myself slowly through the whole day. You tend to have plenty of natural creatine in the AM, so I take mine closer to noon, and the afternoon.

This is really helpful man thanks! I'm also missing the sleeping vitamin :) I haven;t been great about remembering to take my vitamins. I do have a b-50 complex and D that I brought though. I have to remember.

I literally drank a red bull today, and than layed down on a bench on the bike path and fell asleep.

I'm just pushing a little bit too hard, but I think I'm almost there...

Anyway, I got an early campsite today, only did about 75 miles today... yuck... But hopefully I can learn lessons from this and get to bed early and get up early! total today.

mlt34 said:
Have you hit Indiana yet?

How do you choose your route? I assume the bigger the road means more straight shots and less distance, but obviously you're not taking highways, so do you just sort of look at the map each morning and pick a road, or do you have this more planned out?

Yeah, it's not really planned out. Found a sweet bike trail today. I use a combination of walking directions, biking directions, and driving directions that avoid highways. Mostly all direct route backroads.

I should be in Des Moines in like 2 days ish?

[youtube]B8ipmxzvpBU[/youtube]
[youtube]pw6C_Wqvlbs[/youtube]

Wow, that's realny nice trip on e-bike :)

Hi Troy

Following this with super interest! This is “insanely great” to quote someone more famous! What a great adventure, I loved following Justins trip all those years back, when Justin did his trip I would check ahead of his route and ask him to pose by certain landmarks which he did! So cool.

This trip sounds like a tall ask in the time that you have to do it and there is no shame if you can’t quite make it either, it is a very very long way, easy to do it over here in the UK as at its narrowest point its only 200 or so miles, so that would be just a couple of days out of your summer vacation.

I have subscribed to your youtube channel and am looking forward to updates, wishing you the very best of luck out there in that amazing country of yours.

Knoxie

Israel is 9 miles wide at it's narrowest point, if you don't include the disputed territories (which most people don't).

I've thought about doing a cross country ebike trip as a joke.

"Here we go!" [20 minutes later...] "well that was fun, let's do it again next year!"

I could attempt the 4200 mile record, and it would only take 466 cross country passes :D

My personal best mileage for one year was 3000 and change. Last year I logged 2000 miles, not counting dirt riding.

4500 miles in one month, that would be a record nobody will beat for a long time.

grindz145 said:
That's funny because I use that EXACT same termination method at another point in the harness, and it doesn't heat up at all. However, if I'm going to do that, then I'll probably just remove the connectors altogether and solder them, since I only really need to terminate 2 wires at each of those points.
Well, if you haven't fixed it by the time you get down this way and you make it to Phoenix, I've got a big fat chisel tip 80W Weller and plenty of heatshrink.... :)

Let me know when you think you will arrive in Des Moines. You certainly are welcome to stay the evening and get all charged up and do any repair work necessary. I am actually in West Des Moines, which is a suburb.

amberwolf said:
grindz145 said:
Well, if you haven't fixed it by the time you get down this way and you make it to Phoenix, I've got a big fat chisel tip 80W Weller and plenty of heatshrink.... :)

Nice!

My plan might be a little bit different than my original map at this point. I may just go out to Denver and back. We'll see. I appreciate the offer though!

I'm in Franfort IN right now. Only 135 miles so far today and it was another long day. I may just literally not have enough time for this. but I'm going to give it a shot!

I'll probably can get to des moines either late friday or Saturday.

knoxie said:
Hi Troy

This trip sounds like a tall ask in the time that you have to do it and there is no shame if you can’t quite make it either, it is a very very long way, easy to do it over here in the UK as at its narrowest point its only 200 or so miles, so that would be just a couple of days out of your summer vacation.

Knoxie
It's my absolute pleasure to hear from you knoxieman. I'm am crossing your country about once a day. I think I would rather travel to the UK to be honest. I kind of miss my wife an doing this on my own is a bit of a head game. I'm sitting in a pizza shop in frankfort IL right now and I don't have a clue where I'm staying tonight. They do have a movie playing outside right next to where my bike is charging, so maybe I'll just catch that:)

I made the mistake of not correctly adjusting for the time zone difference, and I just ran out of daylight... ugh.

Hang in there Troy, no matter what you decide "to do" you'll always be an inspiration for those who can only dream about touring long distances on eBike.

Don't forget to take in and enjoy the sights, sounds and smells along the way! I would suggest if you're passing north of I-80 on the west side of Iowa City, Amana Colonies can be an interesting roadside attraction? Good food, brewery, local wine, well worth a little detour and feast if you need some chill time and to remind yourself that it's also important to enjoy some of the unique places along the way?

All the best and good speed...

How much pedaling do you do? are you using the original batteries you built from at work? Goldenmotor hub?

keep the updates coming

grindz145 said:
What do you think? Am I crazy?

From one crazy guy to another, I say hit it Troy!

One thing as you've clearly found and others have noted is that 200 miles per day on average is a lot to cover by ebike. Technically it looks easily doable (what, just 25mph for 8 hours!), but it takes a good chunk out of the enjoyment factor you could otherwise have since you are pretty much on the road, charging, or sleeping 24/7. No time to hang out with ES folks, check out surroundings, or even slow down for a while while biking so the wind isn't screaming in your ears. I'd agree with others that there's no shame in having mostly ~100-150 mile days instead, and only occasionally aim for record breaking 200+ mile ventures. They look good on paper, but in practice are not so fun.

Keep rolling and I'll look forwards to following your progress too. -Justin

I just found out about a family that is planning on a record attempt with a 7,000 mile ebike journey: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/983351057/world-record-family-a-journey-of-pedals-and-potty?ref=nav_search

Though it is intended to go over six months, so I'm not sure at what point it stops being considered a single record-ebike-trip and just becomes someone riding their ebike a lot for an extended period of time. If we all add up our daily trips, eventually we'll break the record too…

Anyways, here's their plan, though I don't see how that quite adds up to 7,000 miles:
9477a836d5d2beede9ad67576cccd537_large.jpg

Wind noise is one of the reasons I tour at 15-18 mph. With a bit less daily mileage goal, slowing down and really seeing a road I've driven hundreds of times for the first time is my goal for the ride. 60-80 miles is my daily max, so about 5 hours actual saddle time. Stop for 5 min every hour and walk around the bike. It really helps.

One thing for sure though, if you turn around at Denver, you are making a huge mistake. You will be forced to turn around at some point, but make your goal rocky mountain national park rather than Denver. Turn north to Greeley, and the same distance more or less will take you to the most beautiful spot in Colorado.

grindz145 said:
knoxie said:
Hi Troy

Knoxie
It's my absolute pleasure to hear from you knoxieman. I'm am crossing your country about once a day. I think I would rather travel to the UK to be honest. I kind of miss my wife an doing this on my own is a bit of a head game. I'm sitting in a pizza shop in frankfort IL right now and I don't have a clue where I'm staying tonight. They do have a movie playing outside right next to where my bike is charging, so maybe I'll just catch that:)

I made the mistake of not correctly adjusting for the time zone difference, and I just ran out of daylight... ugh.

Yes great to see you attempt this Troy and heck I dont blame you for having doubts thats just natural you have to be practical though and if it looks like your not going to make it in time turn back, there is no shame in that, you have got commitments running outside of this that cant wait, Justin had a little bit more leeway as he was the boss :lol:

I dont post much on here any more but I pop back now and then and as I follow you on twitter so I caught this, you enjoy the rest of the trip no matter what happens, try and enjoy the trip rather than thinking about breaking records or even making it in time, its all about the experience, I would dearly love to be out on the road right now, I will have to settle for 40 mile trips at the weekend.

Stay safe on the roads and keep is all in check of your progress

Knoxie

One of the nice aspects of modern communication is being able to stay connected to others more often, and "lightens up the load" :wink:

I want to hear about the rogue tales of you sneaking into farmland and find yourself that morning surrounded by llamas :lol: Joking aside, don't be afraid to let people know what your doing. There are many kind hearts out there ready to help if you let them. Wow, I sound like Dr. Phil :pancake:

mlt34 said:
I just found out about a family that is planning on a record attempt with a 7,000 mile ebike journey: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/983351057/world-record-family-a-journey-of-pedals-and-potty?ref=nav_search

Though it is intended to go over six months, so I'm not sure at what point it stops being considered a single record-ebike-trip and just becomes someone riding their ebike a lot for an extended period of time. If we all add up our daily trips, eventually we'll break the record too…

Anyways, here's their plan, though I don't see how that quite adds up to 7,000 miles:
9477a836d5d2beede9ad67576cccd537_large.jpg
That sounds like a neat trip. Did they raise the funds? Not by the link, only $4,189 of $15,000 listed.

What the heck, send me $15,00 and support, I'll do it. First blind man crosscountry on an Electric bike! 6 month bike ride, that would be a nice vacation!

Troy has what we all need, Drive!
Go for it, Troy.

Dan

If there's ANYONE on E-S who can do such a trip, it's you man! Your experiences you've already blogged/podcasted about show that you have a ton of experience that will hold you in good stead. The fact that you're using a longtail, I think you've got the right "equipment" for the job.

EVEN if you CAN'T keep to your needed schedule, I say GO FOR IT, just lower the bar and the objective if you need to. Put SOME KIND of trip on the docket and you'll surely learn things you can bring back to the rest of the E-S community!

It's August 7, around 10:43am US EDT right now, so I'm thinking you are actually out there motoring/pedaling as I type this.

Back