Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

sorry

bbs02 48v 750w

I quit clutches and bafang noise perfect.... when i put cltuches and pedal sounds like bearings and growing stronger in each pedal stroke.... i no want buy all piece clutches...

only happens to me when pedaling with the throttle all works perfect

Has anyone determined the cut off dates for upgrades? For example, all motors after. xx/xx/201X all motors had O ring slot added, or controller was updated. That sure would be helpful info in assisting others in sorting out problems. Yes?

Adding locationmight also help in lining up users with the same native language. Something we also do on Modern Vespa is to take a moment and actually post the appropriate post/thread rather than just responding, "do a search". We consider that bad form. Then again being chatty seems bad form here. :oops:

My "first" unit (BBS02 48V 750W) is serial number 1311270098 - November 27, 2013, unit #0098 - It has the V2 Connector (Green) and the old O-Ring design without the groove. It is the unit I blew the O-ring on the journal bearing and had to rebuild.

My "Second" Unit, which I purchased from Mikebikerad was an even earlier unit. BBS02 48V 750W serial #1310240062 - October 24, 2013 Unit #0062. This unit is going on a client's bike. I can assume it also has the older O-Ring Design. It also has the V1 Controller connector.

Hi

I have a couple of issues with my Bafang BBS01 36V with the C961.

(1) The battery level shows full irrespective of the level of charge. For example I have ridden 57 kilometres since the first charge yet the display is still showing a full battery. Either I am getting amazing battery life or the display is not correct.

(2) Today I lost throttle. I checked the connection and that seems okay. Everything else is okay, the display is getting power, speed sensor is working etc. It is just the throttle not responding. On my last ride it worked without issue and nothing has been changed since then.

Edit: Serial number is 1402200272

Any suggestions in the meantime?

Thanks
Andrew

Aushiker said:
The battery level shows full irrespective of the level of charge. For example I have ridden 57 kilometres since the first charge yet the display is still showing a full battery. Either I am getting amazing battery life or the display is not correct.
What is the voltage/cell count of your battery?

teslanv said:
Aushiker said:
The battery level shows full irrespective of the level of charge. For example I have ridden 57 kilometres since the first charge yet the display is still showing a full battery. Either I am getting amazing battery life or the display is not correct.
What is the voltage/cell count of your battery?

Don't know at the moment. It is currently on charge. When I first got it and got a multimeter it was around 41.6 V if I remember correctly. I have no idea how to do a cell count I am afraid.

I should be doing a 20 to 30 km ride tomorrow so will check the battery voltage when I get back. Hopefully that will provide some insight.

I guess I really should install a watts meter :)

Andrew

Link of what you purchased?
Not a good thing if you don't know what your battery voltage is. How do you know. When its fully charged or discharged?
You could be wreaking havoc on those cells...

I would check to see what the Low Voltage Cut-off is set to. If it is much lower than 36V that may be why your display is reading full so long. Also the battery that you have should be a GREAT battery, and the BBS02 is very efficient, so its quite possible everything is fine and you have excellent range. The way to know for sure would be to install a watt-meter in line with the battery lead, and watch the voltage.

teslanv said:
I would check to see what the Low Voltage Cut-off is set to.

I am guessing I need to get a programming cable etc to check for that. Is that right?

The way to know for sure would be to install a watt-meter in line with the battery lead, and watch the voltage.

That has been on the to do list. I think I need to bump it up.

Oh I checked the voltage on a fully charged battery and it came back at 41.7 volts.

Andrew

My thumb throttle failed in a week or two. Paul's site suggests ordering an extra with the kit, but I paid no heed. I also find that the meter in the 961 has no reliable level readings.

Tesla, someone suggested adding capacitors as being needed with longer leads when installing a watt meter. Comment?

tomjasz said:
My thumb throttle failed in a week or two. Paul's site suggests ordering an extra with the kit, but I paid no heed. I also find that the meter in the 961 has no reliable level readings.

If you have your PAS setting programmed appropriately, I think it possible to use this kit without the need for a throttle. I rarely use my throttle.

Tesla, someone suggested adding capacitors as being needed with longer leads when installing a watt meter. Comment?
I'm not familiar with that method.
I connect my watt-metet directly in line with my battery leads, but you can also connect it in a three wire configuration.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71F5GvU1FTL._SL1500_.jpg

Extra capacitors at the controller end will reduce the risk of damaging the capacitors in the controller due to excessive impedance from very long battery leads. When the caps fail, the controller dies quickly. It's common knowledge in the RC airplane world. It might be possible that the Bafang already has very large caps, but judging from the size I doubt it. There might also be other reasons why it's not a problem with bike systems. The current draw is relatively low with Bafang units compared to RC planes, for example. Have there been any failures of units when used with extended battery wires?

teslanv said:
tomjasz said:

If you have your PAS setting programmed appropriately, I think it possible to use this kit without the need for a throttle. I rarely use my throttle.

I find that I use PAS more and more and the throttle less. But being a gimp means that there are days when even just moving these old legs is just to much. So, I leave the throttle. I like the LeGrand version far better than the EM3ev supplied.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=137916 Lectric's

tahustvedt said:
Extra capacitors at the controller end will reduce the risk of damaging the capacitors in the controller due to excessive impedance from very long battery leads. When the caps fail, the controller dies quickly. It's common knowledge in the RC airplane world. It might be possible that the Bafang already has very large caps, but judging from the size I doubt it. There might also be other reasons why it's not a problem with bike systems. The current draw is relatively low with Bafang units compared to RC planes, for example. Have there been any failures of units when used with extended battery wires?

Anyone else have a comment before I jump on board?

tahustvedt, what would be an appropriate capacitor and how would it be installed. My Basic DC class is still a month off. I realize I'm asking for a hand hold here, but I'd like to understand before I mess up a controller.

Thanks!

T

I'm not an expert, but I guess as big as practical,, but bigger will increase the battery connection current inrush (spark). Here's an example of an add on made for RC models: http://www.espritmodel.com/castle-creation-high-voltage-capacitor-module-cappack.aspx

Not an expert? That's when I hush up. :wink: you sounded as if it were a real problem. We'll see and report back.
Thanks!

Motor works, always has... New battery arrived... So far so good !!!

About to go for a ride and test her out... She is a little baby 250w with a supposedly big battery.. 20AH.

250W is biggest legal size here :(

teslanv said:
tomjasz said:

Paul is coming through with a new throttle. Suggested I might want to add other parts as he is paying the postage :) Pity he does not do a programming cable :)

Andrew

Aushiker said:
teslanv said:
tomjasz said:

Paul is coming through with a new throttle. Suggested I might want to add other parts as he is paying the postage :) Pity he does not do a programming cable :)

Andrew
I'd take the opportunity to get a motor gear and sensor at least. I have a gear stashed. I'm betting on a sensor fail and I didn't get one. $6 from greenbikekit, probably no more from Paul. I'd also ask if he has access to any connectors. Maybe you could score the plug in for the controller? Or a controller extension cable. Worth asking. Seeing I have two motors I'd stash a clutch assembly too. But I tend to be a bit of a hoarder.

tomjasz said:
Not an expert? That's when I hush up. :wink: you sounded as if it were a real problem. We'll see and report back.
Thanks!

Hehe. It's a legitimate concern, but there's a limit to my knowledge in any field.

tahustvedt said:
tomjasz said:
Thanks!

Hehe. It's a legitimate concern, but there's a limit to my knowledge in any field.

Good humor! thanks!

Hi everyone, first post.

I just unboxed a new BBS02 500W bought from China (elifebike.com)

and first revolutions... end in the dreaded clicks problem

Here's a video, showing how loud they are
http://youtu.be/JRGq7Qc9lXE

What do you think I should do? Try to send it back to China seller? I don't have a workshop or equipment to dismantle the motor.

Matt

sputnik2513 said:
Hi everyone, first post.

I just unboxed a new BBS02 500W bought from China (elifebike.com)

and first revolutions... end in the dreaded clicks problem

Here's a video, showing how loud they are
http://youtu.be/JRGq7Qc9lXE

What do you think I should do? Try to send it back to China seller? I don't have a workshop or equipment to dismantle the motor.

Matt
Sounds pretty normal to me. It's the tick of the freewheel pawls you hear. If you put a crank on the square bottom bracket and spin it along, the clicking should mostly go away. - And even so, it should get quieter once you break it in a bit.

Back