new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
You bought an MY1020 motor? Searching doesn't show any examples of that as a bolt in replacement for an Ezip Trailz. It's a 3000 rpm vs your 470 rpm motor.

I need to make it work somehow I need this bike running soon or all is lost. The entire project will be scrapped for the metal weight and battery weight. way too much money invested for failure now.

here are some new pics of the bike. close ups of the motor. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Capture_20140809_1_mpeg1video_0001.jpgCapture_20140809_mpeg1video_0001.jpgView attachment 2Capture_20140809_mpeg1video_0004.jpgCapture_20140809_1_mpeg1video_0003.jpg

I need the bike to make some money so I can pay some bills that have to be payed. Its off the busline and 15 miles away. no other way to get there. I have no car. The motor will be here monday or tuesday. Will have to be up and running by the end of next week or the bike will go for its weight in scrap and this laptop will get sold. I will no longer be on this site and may never own another e bike. I tried to get a motor that would bolt in but the only one posted was not much better than what I had. nobody could find anything good (800 watts and at least 36 volts) so running out of time i ordered the new motor in desperation. Please somebody let me know what is needed to make this work. drkangel might know. or somebody really smart. I need this to work. I need this bike. If my bills are not paid I will have no electricity. My power will be shut off. I have severe arthritus in my leg and back. I cannot walk more than a few blocks. I also depend on the bike for groceries and laundry. Thats why I have a big basket for the back. please somone tell me what I will need to hook up this motor.

mark5

can you post pictures of your motor installed. maby sombody on this forum would be able to tell me what I need by comparing your pictures with mine. All I may need is an adapter plate or something. My friend has a smart phone camera and can take close up pictures better quality than my web cam. Also my other friend does small engine repair. but he has no knowledge of e bikes or electric motors. only gas. but he is willing to try to help me out My friend with the smart phone is a bike expert into bmx
and owens several customized Haros but never worked on an e bike either. Both my friends Doug and Mike will help me install the motor but I need everything there that includes any adapter plates or extra hardware. I need to know what I need. Have very little money to spend and about 10 days to make it happen. motor will be here this week.

Mounting adapters will not work or help. You bought the wrong RPM range motor.

mark5 has the same motor. his works. If I need different gears on the rear wheel than thats what I will need. This has to work. The bearings are going in my rear wheel anyway. A new wheel with a gear setup like marks should work. mark5 or anybody with a rear wheel setup that will work with this motor please help. does anybody want to sell a rear wheel which has the gears I need. They would not sell the motor I am getting if it did'nt work on something. I need to hear something positive.

Maby I could hook up a mid drive system. It would be great if I could use the motor with gears. My friend Doug is a bmx expert and knows everything there is to know about gears. If he could talk to sombody like drkangel I should have a mid drive geared system that would go about 50 mph with this motor. I will see Doug tonight or tommorow. he is a quick study and smarter than me. he has a 4 year degree in computer science and is a quick study, He is awsome with electronics and bikes. he just never messed with electric bikes. If a rear drive setup wont work I am willing to explore any other options to get my bike running with this new motor.

If it were only that simple. Good luck....

Just because I replied doesn't mean I have a motor like yours. I don't.

That motor ought to most easily be used for a friction drive. spinningmagnets has an example picture. Your small engine repair friend should be able to help with that. No need to sell your bike for scrap.

Another project your small engine repair friend could help you with is below. Dumpster-found weed whacker friction drive made with minimum tools. You may not like gas engines but if you need cheap motorized transportation this is it.

26CC Homelite dual suspension whipper by Bishop Letov
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=31376

The gear the stock currie 470 rpm motor is hooked up to needs to be replaced with a larger size gear to accomidate the 3000 rpm motor. Can I get a larger gear that will work. also I will need new bearings. If this is not possible can I get a new or different back wheel that has a gear that will work with the 3000 rpm motor. Please let me know I know I need a larger gear for it to work but dont know how large. It has to be good on hills and should do about 17 mph top speed. when I add another battery and upgrade to 48 volts it will go faster anaway.

Im talking to my friend Doug. Thinking about mounting the new motor on the other side and hooking it up to one of the pedal gears. no more pedal but mid drive without pedeling is fine with me.. I am looking for the simplest cheapest solution. another rear wheel that does not need new bearings sounds good to me. anybody have any ideas on how to mount the new motor for it and what pedal gear is best to hook up to?

I already thought about getting a gas setup which will make the bike go 45 mph and 150 miles per gallon. not legal here expecially in town. may get away with it out of town on bike trailz. maby get one if I can put a shrowd around it and use an electric motor in town. and gas out of town. I would need the pedal chain for the gas and the electric motor would have to hook up to the right size gear for a 3000 rpm motor. I would not be able to do the mid drive electric hooked up to a pedal gear then. but dont care i can get a 800 watt generator which weighs 20 pounds and a 10 amp 48 volt charger for onboard charging and still go 150 miles if I wanted to. For now I just want the new motor to work. I dont care if I have to hook it up to a 20 inch bmx frame as long as I can hook up a basket on the back somehow. Smaller wheels should work better with the 3000 watt motor yes or no? I am open for ideas. Please let me know or give me more options.

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Mid mounted hub motor
by Hellcatcycles » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:52 pm
At 50mph a 26" wheel is spinning around 650 rpm. I've read electric motors run most efficiently at 3000-4000. Even without a rear derailleur, wouldn't it make sense to midmount one of these hubs with a geared reduction to the rear wheel to try and get the motor to spin closer to it's more efficient range? Or am I talking out my a$$ here? Does this even matter with hub motors and only apply to mid-drive kits?Hellcatcycles
1 µW

Private messageWebsite

If you saw my pictures of my bike I would need to move the battery on the lower part on my frame to the back where the original battery pack goes and mount the 3000 rpm motor there I would still be able to add the forth 22 Ah battery on the other side where the spare stock 24 volt battery pack would go. Tommorow I am suhooking the burnt stock motor and all hardware that goes with it. Doug my friend will take up close pictures with a nokia lumia 521 camera phone.
will post them tommorow. i think I am on the right track with mid mounting but if it is simpler to get a larger gear on the wheel or new motor to install the new motor where the old one was then I wont go mid mount. Let me know what will be the simplest and cheapest. and which way would give me the best peformance

Report this postReply with quoteRe: new motor
by mark5 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:21 pm

You bought an MY1020 motor? Searching doesn't show any examples of that as a bolt in replacement for an Ezip Trailz. It's a 3000 rpm vs your 470 rpm motor.

Report this postReply with quoteRe: new motor
by mark5 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:17 pm

Just because I replied doesn't mean I have a motor like yours. I don't.

I dont get it but somebody must have the same motor or similar motor around 3000 rpm and they would know what I would need to make my bike work with it.

I am not interested in a friction drive unless it can be applied to the rear wheel. i dont want all that hardware on my front end.

can somebody ask drkangel he will probley know what I should do.. Money is an issue. I need to make the new motor work as cheap as possible. Thanks until tommorow latecurtis out.

EZips can use the:
MY1018Z 24V 450w or 36V 450w
or
XYD-16 24V 450w

You, apparently, had a My1018Z motor and overvolted it to 36V.
This would push the 450w 16mph peak output to 675w ~23mph.
Unfortunately, going up a hill full throttle at say ... 10mph, damaging heat output might be triple.
(You later admit to a 2mph? prolonged uphill torture-destruction)
(When you "Put the front tire against a wall and held full throttle till battery was dead" ... might not have been good for motor, batteries either?)

If you want to run the 450w motor at 36V up hills you need to gear it lower.
You can swap the 20T freewheel for a 22Tor
Swap the 20T freewheel for a LHS freewheel and 27T sprocket - might need to extend mounting bracket for good clearance.
Both available from Staton-inc.com.

And please ... pedal assist on hills!
You can even burn up a motor at 24V on hills.

Some of my eZip specific threads

eZip - iZip Specific Threads

eZip Trailz Commuter - 2014½
EZip Trailz LS - 2013
Re-volting the eZips ... Simple Mods!
The New EZip "StepThrough"
Currie-EZip ebike Kit $289.88 - Amazon.com
eZip-iZip-Currie parts-n-such
13T Drive Sprocket - Currie, eZip, iZip
Re-gearing the eZips - Simple Mods!
EZip Trailz - On Sale!
Multi-Voltage Testbed - eZip
eZip-iZip Usable Controller Voltages
Should I lube my izip motor?
EZip - IZip 20mph Upgrade $20!
eZips - 15T drive sprocket
Currie-eZip-iZip Mods & Such - 5 Year Journey
Currie - IZip eBike Kit - Price Tracking
EZip Trailz - Continuous Price Tracking
Broken Spokes - EZip - Solutions!
14ga to 12ga Spoke Upgrade
EZip Basics ... Electric Bike or Electric Assist Bike
Currie MY1080Z 450w Motor - capabilities (EZip-IZip)
11T Mod - 20mph (25.9V)

latecurtis said:
I dont get it but somebody must have the same motor or similar motor around 3000 rpm and they would know what I would need to make my bike work with it.

I am not interested in a friction drive unless it can be applied to the rear wheel. i dont want all that hardware on my front end.
mr.pibb started a thread here about installing an MY1020 motor in an Ezip Trailz. You can see the parts list he was thinking about.

A friction drive can be done on either the front or rear wheel. If you're not interested in even considering it as a way to make use of the motor you bought you're either very optimistic about being able to do the gear reduction in the short time you say you have or your situation isn't as urgent as you made it out to be.

I wish to do the gear reduction. I got an extra week. I need to get it going by the 21 st of the month. Drkangel posted but did not say anything about how to hook up my new motor. he only mentioned the old one. I need to know how to do the gear reduction and if it will be a mid motor install on the side the pedal gears is on or if the motor will go where the old one is. also
is there a rear wheel set up with the gear reduction or gears to run the new motor. As I said earlier the bearings are going in the rear wheel I got anyway so if I could get a new rear wheel that is set up for the new 48 volt 3000 rpm motor than that would be the logical choice. Please let drkangel know I dont want to rebuild or replace the old motor but which to install the new motor any way possible. I have not been able to find wheels on the internet for this type of application.

any help will be appreciated. please keep me posted. thanks latecurtis.

i saw the parts list i sent him a private message. i think i will be better off mounting the new motor where the lower battery is on the frame and moving the battery to where the stock pack was and hooking the new motor up to the pedel chain to one of the pedal gears. is it possible. also it will allow me to use a standard rear wheel that does not need new bearings. please let me know. and drkangel please let me know what you think of the idea. I have to get the bike going as cheap as possible. the new motor made me broke. i need something to work. There must be a way to do the mid engine build. 518 334 2655 is my friend dougs number he knows a lot about gear ratios as i dont. he will help me install the new motor next week. He is a bmx guy and has several Haro mountain bikes.

(He doesn't want to spend the money to go to the hub motor.)

What are the chances of unbolting that transmission and bolting it to the new motor? Probably requires some ingenuity on your part.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3249&start=30

Wonderful post with things to say about the eZip motors.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1273&p=19346&hilit=Kolmorgen#p19346

I'm just getting more confused. Doesn't help that the Currie site doesn't list replacement motors. (So no factory spec on RPM.) Do you have a 20t freewheel on the wheel? Just stuck guessing at how your bike works. From what I'm reading your output on the motor should be between 400-450rpm, but no guarantee that's right.

http://www.conhismotor.com/ProductShow.asp?id=290

If you want to use that motor, you want to do a reduction to perhaps 387rpm at the wheel to go 30mph. It comes with an 11t pinion. With a 20t sprocket you can go 125mph, once it struggles up to it. (Well, probably never, actually.) More likely the overloaded motor would burn up first, especially going uphill. I assume you cannot get this sprocket onto your wheel, but it would be the right size. https://www.curriestore.com/bikes-scooters/SD-350201317208/ Just the sort of experiment I'm supposed to be making time for. Perhaps someone has a solution already.

Okay latecurtis, below is an MY1020 mid-drive thread which should show you what's involved. Do you think you can do the same, improvising whatever is needed, for your own bike by your 10 day deadline? If not you should just follow DrkAngel's advice to use lower gearing and MY1018Z or XYD-16.

Another cheap mid drive build :D by Skalabala
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58832

It looks way too complicated and will cost money I don't have. The motor is at the post office now. I am going to pick it up. If there is a way to hook it up by not using the pedels and hooking the motor to a pedel gear that would allow the gear ratio needed by installing a custom chain then that would be my choice. I don't care if I have to bolt the thing to a 20 inch bike to make it work. The smaller wheel should allow for gear reduction. How much reduction is really needed. 3000 rpm is the max rpm on the motor right. operating under load at 36 volts and 750 watts should limit the rpm to about 2100 or so anyway. I am not an expert on this , just need to get something rolling.
As a last resort I would be willing to trade the motor for a motor that would just bolt up but really don't want another motor that will burn out on a hill again. That's why I ordered a 1000 watt motor instead of the stock 450 watt one. I would also be interested in selling the motor if it will cost me too much to make it work.ut I really just want to build a custom chain and hook it up to a pedel gear even if I have to use a 20 inch bike for now. Please. I am leaving for post office now. will be walking for about an hour before I get back. If anyone has an Idea about hooking this up without getting all that extra hardware shown in the pictures please call my friend Doug as he is very knowledgeable with gears on bikes any size from 20 inch up. I will be at his house later for possible installation.

Anything that will work is what I WANT. DONT CARE ABOUT PEDELING. Just want to get something rolling. We can do the fancy gears and stuff later. thanks latecurtis.

The easyest way to do it would be, RETURN the motor and get the right one.
You can't use a 20" bike. Where would you put the batts and basket.

we all wish we had a solution for the fix. As you have seen, every post has said you can't use that motor in that configuration. Mid drive or rear drive, it's gonna take a lot of time and money to do it properly.

You don't control rpm by Watts it's by voltage. Yes wattage will give you a little more top speed if the motor can handle the extra.
Voltage gives you RPM = speed.
Wish you luck.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back