new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
DrkAngel said:
Sunder said:
Okay, this post is amusing me. I've got to see this franken-bike work. Even better if I get to see the gas motor bolt on.

You can find a 90 tooth sprocket and a 9 tooth sprocket here:

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/sprockets25chain.html

You'll get change from $37 for the two of them together. (Have to pay for shipping still though).

1. motor rpm x motor sprocket ÷ wheel sprocket = wheel rpm (revolutions per minute)
3000 x 9 ÷ 90 = 300rpm

2. wheel size" x 3.14 ÷ 12" ÷ 5280' = mpr (miles per revolution)
26 x 3.14 ÷ 12 ÷ 5280 = .00128 mpr (miles per revolution)

3. rpm (revolutions per minute) x mpr (miles per revolution) = mpm (miles per minute) x 60 minutes = mph (miles per hour)
300 x .00128 = .38655 x 60 = 23.19mph

Think I got the math right ... ?
Haven't had coffee yet tho!

Should work and give good efficiency, (modest heat production), ... if you keep above 15mph on hills!
Since your old wheel has bad bearings ...
Get a new (or used) disc mountable rear wheel.
A bit of cutting and drilling should let you bolt on the 90t sprocket.

This will make pedal only unreasonably difficult but will supply effective braking on the downhills.

23 mph? if I go with the 80 tooth that number would be closer to 30 mph? right? I would install the cooling fan as seen in the post mark5 posted on page 3 of this forum top speed was 40 mph but the rider only weighed 190 pounds not 250 like me. Also his motor was 1200 watt and 3200 rpm at 48 volts.I will be running this thing at 36 volts for now so the rpm will not be 3000 but around 2250 so drkangel may want to recalculate the equasions. as the sprockets are cheap I can get another one when or if I upgrade to 48 volts. please recalculate for that sprocket at 36 volts if you can.

I was talking to my friend douge. his friend has a chopper with a 22" wheel in the back and 24" in the front. sunder might not get to see a gas motor anytime soon but may see a chopper with a 22" or 20" fat bmx tire on the back with a 24" wheel in the front running that motor or another motor just like it. that would be a franken bike that would fly if I put wings on it.

For the hell of it can drkangel calculate the sprocket size for a 22" and 20" wheel. also what is the 9 tooth sprocket for. dosent the motor hook directly to the large sprocket. I might be missing something here. The original sprocket the stock currie motor hooked up to was a 20 tooth sprocket as I counted the teeth today. the motor hooked up to it directly. I know I dont know much and appreciate the help here as now I have hope that I may be rolling again soon but I need to know what the 9 tooth sprocket is for and where it goes. also does anybody know where I can get a mounting bracket for the new motor still not shure how to mount it. am going to talk to my friend mike about it now. thanks. latecurtis.

latecurtis said:
also what is the 9 tooth sprocket for. dosent the motor hook directly to the large sprocket. I might be missing something here.

Two ways you can do it:

1. If you can get the 90 tooth directly onto your rear wheel, the 9 tooth does nothing, it's not needed.

2. If you can't, then bolting or welding the 9 and the 90 tooth together is a way for you to slow down the chain before putting it to your rear wheel with a normal derailleur.

If DrkAngel's way works, then it's the better solution - way better, as you won't have a 550 tooth per second circular saw behind you. However, as I'm not great at machining metal and making things fit, I hadn't thought of it when I posted.

latecurtis said:
also what is the 9 tooth sprocket for.
latecurtis.
Replaces the 11T sprocket on your motor so wheel sprocket can be smaller ...

ok will I need a machine shop to do it or a special tool. also what about the fact I am running 36 volts now? still need the 90 tooth or will 80 be better?

hoping you would answer that 36 volt question going to ask my friend mike about replacing the sprocket on the motor. wish I had this. The motor would work nice with this.

.thCATLRO7O.jpg

like to get a trike like this with two seats so I can haul the ol lady around also.

Guess what I talked to mike and he said since the bearings are shot anyway why not just put a smaller wheel on the back of the currie bike and extend the forks a little. have to go with the widest 22" wheel I can get. no brakes on back. but with the front end higher it wont flip. should get disk brakes for front though. need calculations for 22" wheel with 36 volts and 2250 rpm instead of 3000 because I will be running 36 volts. That should bring the sprocket size down considerably. and wont need to change the sprocket on the motor. should still get 25 to 27 mph and go up hills better with smaller wheel. Please.

sincerelly latecurtis.

The old motor has a 9t pinion, right? Might fit on the new motor.

So what's with this 22" wheel? I'm not familiar with a bicycle, motorcycle, ANYTHING having a 22" wheel. Sorry, my dsl is down AGAIN (AT&T) so I'm not searching that right now.

A 26" wheel revolves 387 times a minute to go 30mph, a 24" 420 times, a 20" 504 times. Since I don't support you giving up your rear handbrake and don't want to thumbtype it anyway, I'm not doing the gear ratio calculations. There's more wrong with that redesign than I want to get into, but I grew up doing those screwy things to bikes.

latecurtis said:
hoping you would answer that 36 volt question going to ask my friend mike about replacing the sprocket on the motor. wish I had this. The motor would work nice with this.

like to get a trike like this with two seats so I can haul the ol lady around also.
I gave you the formula so you can plug in any wheel size, motor rpm, motor sprocket and wheel sprocket you want to try.
(1st, determine which MY1020 motor you have ... 20 different! ... 36V 1000w to 48V 500w (should say on motor))

Muchly preferable to put the ol' lady, rear facing, in a trailer ...
Rather than annoying you about your "driving", she can provide comic relief as she bitches and rants at rear approaching vehicles!

Edit:
(Damn! ... got the image of an ol bitty scowling and wagging her finger at passing cars ... stuck in my head)

I dont want to change the sprocket on the motor to a 9 tooth. I think the stock motor is 11 tooth also. I dont want to build a chopper either. In fact I dont want to do much of anything. Now that my bike is out of comission I am deepley depressed, and really lazy.

But am not giving up hope yet. My plan is to put 24" tires on the front and back and try to get some brakes working. I can drill new holes in the front forks to mount disk brakes. The back however may not be as simple. any suggestions on this will be apreciated. I will go with the 90 tooth sprocket or the 80 tooth if I am smart enough to figure out drkangels equasions. The only concern I have is I dont really want to change the chain and sprocket again if I upgrade to 48 volts. The motor should only be running at 2250 rpm at 36 volts and 750 watts. Is that correct or is that wrong somehow? I wish to install a sprocket on a 24" wheel that will allow me to go 20 mph top speed on flat at 36 volts and hopefully closer to 30 mph after the 48 volt upgrade a few months in the future. The smaller 24" wheel should do better up the hills. So the equasions are not quite that simple for me to figure out. I need to know that all the information is correct especially the rpm of the motor at 36 volts. That all said and done I should have enough information to figure out which sprocket is right for me. with a little more feedback.

Installing the motor however is another story. My friend Doug will help me with the new rims,tires and custom brakes hopefully. and hopefully my friend mike will have the time to help me mount the motor as he is really busy with his little small engine shop he is running in his backyard. I am trying to get feedback fron the guy mark5 posted who actually installed the motor on a 26 inch bike, the guy who used the 80 tooth sprocket and boasted 40 mph. I dont know if he went with a 9 tooth sprocket or not on the motor but know it was a 26" bike. His motor was 48 volts and operating at 3200 rpm and 1200 watts. I sent the guy an E mail and am waiting for a reply. I get money in a few days from DSS but it has to last me until the first of september so it is doubtfull it will be running until sometime next month. If anybody knows how to mount this thing or has a part for a adapter plate or something that is my main concern now. no sprocket will work until the motor is mounted properley. I posted the new motor on page 2, I think right after I ordered it. That should answer the question as to what exact motor I ordered.

Thanks latecurtis.

Eddie Kloth is the guy who did a similar build it is half way down page 3 on this post. My motor runs 1000 watts at 48 volts and 3000 rpm. His motor runs 1200 watts at 48 volts and 3200 rpm.
Thats the only difference I see. Im going to check my e mail to see if he even got back to me. He should know what hardware I will need for the mount and the part numbers, companies and prices.

Thanks latecurtis.

Report this postReply with quoteRe: new motor
by mark5 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:21 pm

The motor mount might look something like the one shown here. Without regarding the size sprocket you'd need.

But latecurtis you really ought to return that motor, get your money back, and start over again like Sunder and others have said.

This is the post with a link under here. Lots of pictures. did not like the way he mounted the batteries though. Like my way better. but need to know where he got the hardware for that mount.

just wondering if he changed the gear on the motor to a 9 tooth or not. It would be simpler than putting 24" wheels on my bike. I just want to know if he did or not. I need to know. wish I could call the guy.

I looked at the pictures again and checked out the new motor and I think he must of went with the 9 tooth. also It does not look like it will be too much trouble to put the 9 tooth on the motor. so my final decision is to go with the 9 tooth and the 80 tooth exactly like he did. so I am 86 ing the idea of putting smaller wheels on my bike. going to get new bearings and 80 tooth sprocket put on the 26" wheel. drkangel if you got the time could you check out his build. it was mark5s post half way down page 3 right after one of your posts. just so happens I have 4 of those exact DC fans he used on the motor. one of those will take care of the hill problem and the specs should be close to his when I upgrade to 48 volts. should get about 35 mph out of it. and should get there real quick. check it out and let me know what you think. and need your opinion on the mount for the motor.
I wish I could throw you a few bucks for you to help me get this thing back togeather. I live in Schenectady NY. You are south of me in NY. right. my ol lady is from Kingston. How far are you from there? she wants to go to Saugerties to see her daughter next month. Let me know. I could use all the help I can get on this.

Thanks sincerelly latecurtis.

latecurtis said:
This is the post with a link under here. Lots of pictures. did not like the way he mounted the batteries though. Like my way better. but need to know where he got the hardware for that mount.
Home Depot (example), Lowes, any other hardware store, or scrap metal you find. Look for where the metal flat pieces are kept. Cut and drill according to your needs. Just like Eddie Kloth had to do. Your small engine repair friend might be able to help with that.

latecurtis said:
I looked at the pictures again and checked out the new motor and I think he must of went with the 9 tooth. also It does not look like it will be too much trouble to put the 9 tooth on the motor. so my final decision is to go with the 9 tooth and the 80 tooth exactly like he did.
Should have read the article ...
"Motor
Unite Motor MY1020 Permanent Magnet DC
MY1020 48 Volt, 1200 Watt, 3200 RPM, 32 Amp, permanent-magnet motor.
12 gauge power leads with standard 1/4" push-in connectors.
11 tooth sprocket for #25 chain.

Motor Dimensions: 4-1/4" W x 6" L not including shaft. 4-1/4" W x 7" L including shaft.

Drivetrain
We took a #25 chain 80-tooth sprocket and slapped it on the opposite side of the original dérailleur on the back hub with some screws and washers. Then we centered it up and put some epoxy on it to keep it from moving. The motor was mounted on an aluminum plate that kinda makes the motor stick out a little. Little problem occurred when we found that it is impossible to perfectly center the sprocket on the hub with the method we used. It runs fine although a tiny bit off-center. In the future we will consider buying an actual CURRIE wheel with the dual sprocket hub.
"

Snapshot_20140815.JPG

1. motor rpm x motor sprocket ÷ wheel sprocket = wheel rpm (revolutions per minute)
3000 x 9 ÷ 90 = 300rpm

2. wheel size" x 3.14 ÷ 12" ÷ 5280' = mpr (miles per revolution)
26 x 3.14 ÷ 12 ÷ 5280 = .00128 mpr (miles per revolution)

3. rpm (revolutions per minute) x mpr (miles per revolution) = mpm (miles per minute) x 60 minutes = mph (miles per hour)
300 x .00128 = .38655 x 60 = 23.19mph

2250 rpm at 36 volts. 11 tooth & 80 tooth = 23.76 mph.

3000 rpm 48 at volts. 11 tooth & 80 tooth = 31.86 mph.

9 tooth sprocket on currie motor is 1 5/8" diameter. lots of wear though cant use that one.

11 tooth sprocket on new motor is 1 1/4" diameter and does not fit chain.

stock currie motor at 24 volts and 470 rpm = 16.24mph.

stock currie motor at 36 volts and 705 rpm = 24.36mph. drkangel your formula is correct. it went a couple mph
slower though but that was due to the weight. 370 pounds total with empty basket on the back plus tire
rubbing on back frame due to bad bearings and high profile tire.

Should I order a new 11 tooth sprocket for the motor or should I order a smaller link chain and smaller 80
tooth sprocket for the smaller link chain. motor was designed for a scooter with a smaller link chain and
smaller tooth sprocket.

I think that the similar build we were referring to with the 3200 rpm motor used a different tooth size
chain and sprocket also. because I dont even have to do the math to know he was not getting 40+ mph with a
standard bike 80 tooth sprocket and 11 tooth on the motor. his motor only turned 200 rpm more than mine.

I love your formula but need to know more information before I order anything.

just was testing my webcam. it still works and is not broken after that mugshot. suprising for a dell. figured it would in the trash can with the old currie motor after that. got a new respect for dell laptops now.

latecurtis said:
Should I order a new 11 tooth sprocket for the motor or should I order a smaller link chain and smaller 80
tooth sprocket for the smaller link chain. motor was designed for a scooter with a smaller link chain and
smaller tooth sprocket.

I think that the similar build we were referring to with the 3200 rpm motor used a different tooth size
chain and sprocket also. because I dont even have to do the math to know he was not getting 40+ mph with a
standard bike 80 tooth sprocket and 11 tooth on the motor. his motor only turned 200 rpm more than mine.

I love your formula but need to know more information before I order anything.
Have you looked at your new motor?

It should a have an 11 tooth sprocket of #25 chain type on it ... already ...
You have decided to purchase an 80 tooth #25 chain type sprocket, to attach to your wheel ...
You will also need to purchase #25 type chain ... to connect them!

i dont know the difference just know the measurments I gave you 11 tooth on new motor was 1 1/4
in diameter.

old motor was 9 tooth and 1 5/8 in diameter. just need to know which is #25 so that your formula is good and I order the right chain and sprocket.

yea its a #25 google images even gave me a picture of my motor exact when I typed #25 11 tooth sprocket. I guess it was not my fat ass that slowed down the currie I was using your formula on a diffetert size than #25. which variable would change in your formula when going to a larger tooth sprocket # ?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X%23+25+80+tooth+sprocket&_nkw=%23+25+80+tooth+sprocket&_sacat=0$_12.jpg

see what your saying about a buzzsaw blade though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-CONNECTING-MASTER-LINK-QTY-10-for-25-roller-chain-New-CONNECTOR-/221499283432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339262d7e8#ht_314wt_1001

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-ROLLER-CHAIN-10FT-ROLL-New-from-factory-/221509850373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3393041505#ht_231wt_1001

Talking to Douge mounting chain and sprocket simple. motor on other hand will have to talk to Mike the small engine repair guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back