Death Bike vs. Tesla Model S P85

i love to see evs kicking butt, but come on guys really...

a souped up 180cc scooter can beat a ferrari off the line.. its apples and oranges.. we all know tweaked bikes are faster than stock cars..

So sick. When I posted this on Facebook I could use the link bait title : "Bicycle vs Tesla, Poor Tesla..."

I love that there is still pedals on this. Not so sure about that passenger seat hahahaha

I love how stable it is. No handed riding, perfectly stable. It's actually really great geometry!

gwhy! said:

a souped up 180cc scooter can beat a ferrari off the line.. its apples and oranges.. we all know tweaked bikes are faster than stock cars..

Sure, but not down a 1/4 track, and a souped-up scooter wouldn't do it in 11.5 seconds at 110+mph.
Luke did it on a bicycle built for two. That's not just awesome, that's Trollin'.

LFP, Next time you need to show up at the track with tassels, training wheels, and a kid's basket on the bike. :mrgreen:

LFP, Next time you need to show up at the track with tassels, training wheels, and a kid's basket on the bike.
+1 :mrgreen:

awesome day buddy! absolutely love the tandem licious'sness of it.

Thud said:
LFP, Next time you need to show up at the track with tassels, training wheels, and a kid's basket on the bike.
+1 :mrgreen:

awesome day buddy! absolutely love the tandem licious'sness of it.

Next time it shows up at a track it will have just a bit over 2x the power it has in this video. And I agree, tassels on both front and rear bars seem critical.

Drunkskunk said:
gwhy! said:

Sure, but not down a 1/4 track, and a souped-up scooter wouldn't do it in 11.5 seconds at 110+mph.
Luke did it on a bicycle built for two. That's not just awesome, that's Trollin'.

LFP, Next time you need to show up at the track with tassels, training wheels, and a kid's basket on the bike. :mrgreen:

You are quite right but a tweeked 650cc motorcycle can do it in that time and hit those speeds.. all I am saying is keep things into perspective.

dont get me wrong its all good to see and supports the EV revolution ... and I also take my hat off to LFP for his style :mrgreen:

Last month’s end brought TDR Scooters the world record for a single cylinder 178 cc fully automatic twist and go scooter, at the Santa Pod Raceway (England), with an impressive 11.9037 at 108.27 mph for a quarter of a mile. Also, during that lucky day on May 30, the record was followed by an 11.9760 at 105.73 mph

Not to far off though :wink:

Based on the time vs. top speed of your bike, I would guess that you are accelerating up to about the 1/8th mile insanely fast, and then peaking at top speed at about 3/16-mile and continuing that top speed through the 1/4.

According to a few online calculators, at 11.5 Seconds your speed should be in the 117+ mph range.

Are Aero and higher gearing in Deathbike V8.0's future?

awesome. the golden motor seems to be good.
i like the name death bike. i guess it will be for an unexperienced driver :twisted:

teslanv said:
Based on the time vs. top speed of your bike, I would guess that you are accelerating up to about the 1/8th mile insanely fast, and then peaking at top speed at about 3/16-mile and continuing that top speed through the 1/4.

According to a few online calculators, at 11.5 Seconds your speed should be in the 117+ mph range.

Are Aero and higher gearing in Deathbike V8.0's future?

Agree, it looked to me that Luke has a killer acceleration from about 50-80 meters out to the 1/8. Would love to see what it could do if he had a higher gear to shift into somewhat Instantaneously like a top fueler or F1 does and continue on that acceleration curve. I think under 10 seconds looks very possible given they way that pulls. F'n awesome. It would make a great street outlaws segment.

That bike frame is stretched out, It would have dogman and amberwolf salivating. Those guys love a stretched frame and it looks more resistant to wheelies than version 1.0

nicobie said:
Actually his v1 edition running (and smoking) one of Methods hub motors was hot pink

:mrgreen:

Hey nic, here is a little memory of that day.
[youtube]AypY-2fYERg[/youtube]

Luke has switched phones too many times to find the pictures of us cutting on that bike in my motel room :lol: surprised we didn't set the bed on fire...you can see the pink deathbike1 in the shots.....( this was prior to the "smoking dicks" 3540

Ahhh good times.

100volts+ said:
That bike frame is stretched out, It would have dogman and amberwolf salivating. Those guys love a stretched frame
Dunno about Dogman, but no, it wouldn't have me salivating because it's stretched, only because of the amount of off-the-line power it has (I don't need anything like the speed it can do, but I'd love the startup power ;)).

My preference isn't relaly for a "stretched" frame, but for a bike that can haul cargo *and* let me sit comfortably in a suspended-mesh type seat. The fact that this just about requires a stretched frame is incidental. :p

madin88 said:
awesome. the golden motor seems to be good.
i like the name death bike. i guess it will be for an unexperienced driver :twisted:

I don't know why people keep thinking it's a golden motor. The golden motor became a smoking pile of char 4 versions of deathbike ago. The golden motor was never capable of 1/3 of this motor's performance.

A collage of death bike V1 through V7 would be a great thing to have for the "museum..." :mrgreen:

bigmoose said:
A collage of death bike V1 through V7 would be a great thing to have for the "museum..." :mrgreen:

What a great idea Dave! We could compile early photos in a thread somewhere and go through the various iterations to clear up confusion about it. Great to see you my friend!!

Awesome stuff! Have you got the figures from the time slip? Curious to see how 330' and 18th mile line up against similar ETs.

Details on the recent round of mods? Love it :D

Thanks Luke! Very impressed with the latest rendition! Tried to get a good side view from the video, but didn't have much luck. Would be interesting to compare the versions and have your commentary on changes looking backwards. This type of thing would be "priceless."

We are watching the Edisons and Tesla's of our day in action. It should be archived for posterity.

The latest version with the passenger seat it way cool. Wasn't even aware that it's gone through that many updates. Very stable from the vids. How did you get so skinny as well!

I don't know why people keep thinking it's a golden motor

Sorry, Luke...it's probably me. I have read along with the various motor upgrades until the Golden Motor, then I have posted that several places. I haven't seen the subsequent posts with the newer one. Just for the record, what is the motor model, controller model, and volts/amps?

I think the first motor after the Golden was an evaluation motor from Zero.

Online dragstrip calculators seem to be tailored to heavier automobiles. The death bike is a classic example of gaining speed so quickly that there just isn't time to attain a high top speed. Some observers get focused on how high the trap speed is, but a low trap speed qualified by the E.T. can tell of a very good hook-up off the line. Also, the heavier the vehicle for a given mass/power ratio, the more momentum there is to punch through air resistance. The cars Luke is running against are catching up to him at the end of 1/4 mile and would certainly pass him by the 1/2 mile. He owns the 1/8 mile.

I couldn't launch my RD350 without nearly flipping over until I started using wheelie bars. Wheelie bars can take weight off the rear wheel at a critical time in the launch, however. Luke went straight for the more refined strategy of proper weight distribution along with an extended wheelbase. Then he trimmed down his ballast weight. He seems to like exploring the outer edges of previously established envelopes. :shock:

spinningmagnets said:
I don't know why people keep thinking it's a golden motor

Soory, Luke...it's probably me. I have read along with the various motor upgrades until the Golden Motor, then I have posted that several places. I haven't seen the subsequent posts with the newer one. Just for the record, what is the motor model, controller model, and volts/amps?

It's a 1st prototype and development test motor for what became the 2013 Zero motor. It's an extremely efficient PMAC 3 phase air cooled inrunner. I have fitted, dyno tested and tuned, and raced with a Perm132 (modded), an Agni 95R (brushes setup by Cedric Lynch himself), the big brushless MARS, the 5kW golden motor and the biggest 10kW golden motor.

This motor has higher continous power capability than any 2 of them combined. This motor also isn't saturated even if you pump in enough current to make > 200ft-lbs. (I'm going to be pumping enough current into it to do that soon.)

I'm running a Sevcon gen4 size 6 controller setup with special firmware. It draws >700A off the battery, which is 117vdc fully charged. It's currently a 50Ah pack, but I'm thinking about going 8p 28s with 56 of this 4s Nanotech pack.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__662__85__Batteries_Accessories-A_SPEC_nano_tech.html

Then removing the heavy duty GP superbike dual disk front end, and replacing it with a light weight bicycle front and brake again. Possibly a road bike fork and aero rim/tire setup. It has no front brake, and for drag I think it's regen is adequate brake alone.

Switching battery and front end should shave ~55lbs, and the second size6 controller and cables will be maybe another 12lbs.
So net reduction in weight of ~40-45lbs, 2x torque and HP, and re-gearing it for ~165mph.

It still won't be an impressive bicycle for Dauntless, but I do think it would be peppy enough for most members. ;)

Back