Re: Street LEGAL Custom Bomber build! :-)

Fenders are currently being manufactured. :mrgreen:

But yes, even when they will eventually by installed, riding in the rain is not what the rider plans to do.
If a sudden downpour surprises me though the fenders will help.

After all the original Bomber is John´s creation. But maybe he would give me a license to build em here like mine.
Riding around legally is so much more fun. You can relax and enjoy the ride.

The constant fright for luring cops waiting to pull you over is not a good companion when on the road.
As stated before it´s impossible to take a short stop for whatever. People approach the bike immediately out of curiosity.
She turns more heads then any sports car around here.
Kinda weird, but it´s probably cause people have always read about these bikes and never seen one before.

The funny part is that it´s not even my ingenuity. All the information to build a machine like this is scattered around the web.
At first it´s careful reading. Then ordering the stuff necessary and with a bit of persistence the bike will eventually work!

-Still love this hobby so much-

I can udnerstand how you feel, what a relief!
Is it possible for you to consider about selling your self designed kickstand and fenders for ES members? I guess the parts could fit to Bombers? Really nice piece of work there.

Nice job.

A big word of thanks to " Hyena " for helping me out with some vital information on how to bulk charge. :)

Got myself a 2 Kw charger from BMS Battery. Just finished setting everything up! Works like a charm and fills up the entire pack in just around 48 minutes. :mrgreen:

So now all there is to do is finally install those fenders, put the charger in my backpack and head for Berlin.
A 217 km journey from here.

34ii6id.jpg

33js4kh.jpg

Nothing out of this world.

BMS battery got the following information from me:

Battery type: Lipo

Number of Cells in series: 18

Maximum charge voltage: 75,24 Volts 18 * 4,18 V

Charge current: 20 A

With this info they sent out a charger all set up to go. Just installed the 42 pin Harting plug with all the serial connections inside hooked up. The - pole of the first pack of 3 goes to the charger just as the + pole of the third pack does.

Now it´s time to discover all the great areas beyond the radius of a single charge. :)

There´s millions of homes here in Germany and almost 100% are hooked up to the electrical grid. It should be no problem to get some nice person to give me some electrons. :mrgreen:

So far the pack is holding up just fine.

There´s no sign of capacity loss!

Did cycle number 157 today. That´s over 6000 km of ridden distance so far.

If she gives me 300 cycles then that would add up to approximately 980 € for 12000 km of riding pleasure. :mrgreen:

It was time to give the first bulk charge a try.
I rode all the way to the Czechoslovakian frontier and stopped for a lunch break at this restaurant.
The friendly owners served good food and beer plus a free charge to get me back home.

Nice! :mrgreen:

2s1txmb.jpg

2n8vi2b.jpg

Amazing work getting plates on that build. Bike looks the tits and is surely a tribute to your craftsmanship.
Great work and a great thread which I am sure will inspire many builders.

Here's a short status update:

The bike has done 9746 Km so far.
For the ridden distance 267 cycles where squeazed from the pack.
I still get the same amp hours out of the Hobbyking Nanotechs as on the first charge.
This again proofs all the German forum guys wrong that criticised these batteries as low quality.

I bulk charge now.
Did 114 cycles that way so far without any issues.
The charger has an output of 20 amps, filling up the entire pack in just around an hour. :)

Still use the balance charger once a month.
If any cell is more then 0,10 off it is charged up using a single cell charger.

Max voltage per cell is 4,15 V.
Min discharge voltage per cell is 3,64 V.

Problems so far:

Had a broken wire going to the throttle. It was replaced with a higher quality one.

That's it, nothing else to report.
She works like clockwork. :)

There is a new project on its way right now.
This time it's a team effort and still to early for any details.

Once working and streetlegal it will be revealed here.
For the moment the postman is my best friend bringing me all sorts of components for testing. :)

Always look forward to updates on this fine thread. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Very pleased the Nanotech's are serving you well. Close to 300 cycles is already a big win. Goes to show that if you stay conservative with charge and discharge levels plus be diligent with balancing, very decent longevity out of the packs can be achieved.

As always, great work.

Hi there,

I think your bike looks awesome, and it is very impressive you got it registered as well!

Could you give a summary of what details the German Health Authorities required in order for the bike to be registered?

Many thanks!

Liebe Grüsse,

Kepler said:
Always look forward to updates on this fine thread. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Very pleased the Nanotech's are serving you well. Close to 300 cycles is already a big win. Goes to show that if you stay conservative with charge and discharge levels plus be diligent with balancing, very decent longevity out of the packs can be achieved.

As always, great work.
Thats true, as with most technical stuff. If treated with a bit of respect there is really no trouble at all.
The ultimate goal is to brake the 20000 Km mark using this pack. So far it´s been serving me without any issues.
To find out riding as much as possible is what has to be done.

Now that´s the best part anyways and does not seem like hard work. If any manufacturer of whatever electric vehicle ever needs a long distance test pilot, just PM me. :mrgreen:

Yes! :mrgreen:

Got an early X-mas present from Rix. :)

Thanks man, i really appreciate your help and all the time you´ve spent getting me…..

…… The X5404. :mrgreen:

But wait, before lacing up the beast it has to be taken apart.
Vent holes, new axle, bigger phase wires and then….

.. tada, let´s feel the torque at 10 Kw! :twisted:

The best part was when the German customs officials actually refused to understand that this " THING " was meant to propel a bicycle. They never had anyone that crazy around ordering something like that from abroad.
Well, got to get the guys here addicted and make them part of the silent revolution! :)

21nnk2u.jpg

Yep, the Cromotor is still sitting in my basement.
I like the X motors because all that metal just takes longer to heat up.
The one in use on my build has been vented and it runs cool even at 8,7 Kw continuos power.

This was not the case with the Cromotor.
Yes, it´s much lighter but at this power it would have died on me sooner or later.
My bikes are in use everyday. So reliability is important.
The Raptor will crack 12000 Km of ridden distance this year. It´s only a matter of weeks before this will happen. :)

But you´re right, there is an urge for a lighter hub motor that can take all the power we throw at it. :mrgreen:

By the way Allex, you have all my respect for pimping your Bomber.
That´s a thing i still have to do and learn! Build my own pack from scratch and swap the controller for a sine wave unit.

Cheers! You will not have any problems building your own 18650 because of your god-given technical skills :)
All you need is a spotwelder, after that, just give me a shout and I will hook you up with the complete BMS/charge/controller solution - all in a small package in minimal wiring.

Hi Dlogic for me this says it all finished and " enjoying the fruits of your labor" thanks for the beer, i hope to finish mine soon.

Dlogic said:
It was time to give the first bulk charge a try.Nice! :mrgreen:

2s1txmb.jpg

Back