XPD: open-source keywin e-bike lab replacement

Experience and knowing the motor...How hot it is getting.

The Wattage is more concern to heating the motor. Do you have temperature sensor installed in the motor connected to the Cycle Analyst?

I do not know what current limits the controller you have can handle .

You should start a new thread...with the name of your controller and motor, with a request for maximum limits. A gear motor will be less able to take the power (generally) than a direct drive motor.

So make a new thread with motor and controller information and ask again on a new thread.

Yes I have the Mac 8t with temo sensor which is nice
I never rode it for the motor to get super hot

The controller is an Infineon 9fet 4110 30A
Thanks for the tips!!!!

Not owned this motor..so no idea.

Post new thread..suggested title :

"Cellman Mac 8T with Infineon 9fet 4110 30A limits please"

Also tell:
Wheel size
your weight
bike weight
Battery type and specification
Your rides...hills? flat ? on road ? in mud and sand?

Hi,

I tried following the prompts to download the software. I cannot locate the file ( xpd-x-x-x ) which was supposed to be created after unzipping the xpd files. I unzipped them individually as I could not figure out how else to do it?

Any thoughts??

Also assuming I get this software installed and operating.. How do I select the correct option for 6 fet IRFB 3077?

Thanks a lot!

That is totally about knowing your operating system and any in-built or 'aftermarket' zip/compression archive utility

Maybe unzip again and try and see where the files are put, or open your unzip program manually from the start menu and then open the archive from there.

Lets get that sorted first before worrying about using it.

image.jpgThanks Neil,

I unzipped all 8 ( photo ) and they were sent to my downloads.
I found the unzipped version of all 8. There just simply wasn't a folder called xpd-x.x.x.

Did I do it correctly?

Looks very much like you have not downloaded the installation packages, but something else instead, like old versions.

Go back to beginning of this thread and look there, the links used to me on first page

You need pre requisites downliad first, and that contains a Readme.txt of the order you need to install stuff

I your pic seems to show loads of folders.
Have you opened th to see the contents? They look very much like the XPD x.x.x folders you are looking for to me.

anyone tried to run it on Win8 please?

wojtek said:
anyone tried to run it on Win8 please?

YES! it works. The only problem is with USB-TTL but it can be fixed easily here: http://minhdanh2002.blogspot.com/2013/12/using-prolific-pl2303-usb-to-ttl.html

In case those links are removed in future, I have grabbed the instructions and the driver and added them here.

Using Prolific PL-2303HXA USB to TTL chipset on Windows 8
To avoid using the MAX232 level converter and a USB to serial adapter on my Mac Mini every time I needed to debug the PIC micro-controller via UART, I purchased a few USB to TTL modules from eBay, hoping that the PIC will simply appear as a serial port under Windows ready for use with any terminal program.

The module looks neat with output pins for GND, TX, RX, 3.3.V and 5.0V:

Although Windows 8 automatically installed the driver for the module, the installation was not successful with an error message "A device which does not exist was specified." shown inside Device Manager. The module works fine on Windows XP or Windows 7 and my other USB to RS232 adapter works fine under Windows 8.

Further research reveals that the module is using the PL-2303HXA chipset, which is not supported under Windows 8, as indicated on the manufacturer's driver download page:

Windows 8/8.1 are NOT supported in PL-2303HXA and PL-2303X (End-of-Life) chip versions.

What is so special about Windows 8 that prevents the PL-2303HXA/PL-2303X from working, while other variants in the PL2303 family work just fine? For all I know the only major difference is that Windows 8 requires the use of signed drivers, which is irrelevant since the Prolific driver is signed. In any case, the requirements of signed drivers on Windows 8 can be disabled by using the following BCDEDIT commands:
bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNINGON

With some research I found a suggestion here.
Apparently it is a driver problem that prevents the PL-2303HXA chipset from working on Windows 8, and not a chipset problem.

The solution is to use an older driver file (attached to this post) (not the driver installer provided by Prolific) downloadable from here and choose to install the driver manually.

When prompted, click "Browse my computer for driver software", select the driver's INF file, choose "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", and select the Prolific driver version 3.3.2 which was created in 2008 (not the latest version):

Attachments

• Profilic_Win8_x64_x86.zip
    89.8 KB · Views: 193
Hi,
I want to reprogram a 6 FET (sensored) Lyen controller.
Lyen put a sticker on it which says "Use EB312 profile Rshunt=2 mOhm".

Can I use XPD to do it?
I didn't see a default presets for a 6 FET EB312.
Should I use the presets for the 12 FET EB312?

Will I risk "bricking" the controller or any other damage if I program with the wrong presets?

Thanks,
Avner.

It applies to any 6 FET controller that has had the 'shunt mod' done.

In reality the profiles are not determined by the number of FET's but by the number and resistance of the shunt(s)

Lyen and Keywin (e-crazy man) modify the 6 FET controllers by fitting an extra shunt, an SMD one, on the rear of the board, in parallel. So you effectively have the same number of shunts as a 'standard' 12 FET comtroller.

The shunts used are generally 4milliohm
6 FET originally had one, therefore total = 4 milliohm
12 FET originally had one, therefore total = 2 milliohm
18 FET originally had one, therefore total = 1.33 milliohm

The profiles are just setup with shunt number in mind.
So you can only tell for sure by opening up and counting shunts

I am hoping someone can help me out. I just perused this entire thread and I can't find what I need (I think).

I downloaded XPD, installed it and I can open it and I also created a profile that I want to input into my controller.

The controller is a 12 fet IRFB4110 Infineon Controller that I bought from Cellman. After I created and saved the profile, I went to install it on the controller. I hit "apply" and press the button on the cable and hold it for over 10 minutes. It never completes the upload. What am I doing wrong? Does the controller have to be hooked up to a battery?

I am kind of at my wit's end. I finally got the bike to the point where I can take it for a test ride and now this.

EDIT: After a good night of sleep I re-read this thread and found the issue.

NeilP said:
EB 3xx and EB2xx require different wiring on the programming cable.

The USB side is the same, but you need a jumper wire from pin 1 to pin 5 on the controller end
The info why is on the forum here some where...I know I posted about it in the past.

I had modified an EB2xx and was trying upload it using an EB3xx cable. It was a simple case modifing an EB3xx template to get what I needed and it uploaded in a heartbeat.

NeilP said:
Programming DOES NOT WORK if speed switch is in any other position than speed 2.

What about the case where there is no switch? The documents on the EB3xxx seem to show it defaults to 'speed 2'.

I'm in the unfortunate position of having XPD work ONCE and don't have a speed switch :(.

If you don't have a speed switch then it is Speed 2.

it is not what the actual speed is called is the issue.
The 3 speed switch has three wires, connected to three pads on the board
Position one connects left pin to centre
Position two connects nothing
Position three connects centre to right pin.

As long as the pads on the board are not connected to anything ..( no switch) then you are OK

Controller needs to be powered off and discharged, no battery connected too.

Also check you have the correct cable, and if necessary the EB2xx to EB3xx adapter that swaps a few wires around on the cable.

Thanks for the prompt reply and the XPD tool!

NeilP said:
off and discharged

Is there a suggested way to discharge the capacitors? (ie throw a resistor on a 5v?)

Also check you have the correct cable, and if necessary the EB2xx to EB3xx adapter that swaps a few wires around on the cable.[/quote]

I'll make a new cable and try another USB->Serial cable and report back.

NeilP said:
Controller needs to be powered off and discharged, no battery connected too.
NeilP said:
To ensure discharged, I just unplug battery while controller is powered on.

Hi again Neil.

So today I tried an assortment of PL2303 and FTDI 'usb->serial adapters' wired with 'SLK2' and 'TX' on the controller side merged per instructions earlier in this thread. No go. :( I tried programming with the controller off on three machines - thinking maybe there was an issue with the USB 5v supply.

As a sanity check, I ran 'sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 38400,cs8,-parenb,cstopb' and powered on the controller to see what it spit out upon boot. Some characters showed up.

Then, for the hell of it, I tried to write from XPD again while the controller was still on. It worked! :)

Any ideas as to why?

No, I am no expert on these , I just know what the advice has always been.

I wonder if the 5volt power from your USB ADAPTER is not making it all the way to the controller to power it up.

May be you a comtroller board variant that can't receive it's power via the USB and requires on board power,
That's all best guess really

Back