Best Multimeter?

My meter is reviewed in the previous post. It tracks the fluke most accurately, showing 30.00V when the fluke did (the nearest voltage benchmark he used). The reviewer chose the extech though, a meter that totally failed the diode test. Ignoring it's lack of probe holding case, and saying the jacket didn't come off mine, before taking it off to change the battery. Biased bugger ignored the fact non of the others had sufficient leads to meet the safety catagory, looking instead for branding. No talk of currant carrying capacity or the transistor checkers that set it apart. My meter was clearly the best one there. Even the bench mark fluke looked no more accurate and did less. I'm happy to see that, although ffs It took an hour to watch.

I recently bought the UT-61E. I think it's really good for the money.

In it I installed the 9v from a $3 meter that died simply by rotating it's dial when hooked up to voltage source (also display had missing digits a week after I bought it) . Also had a $20 autoranging meter which was doing all sorts of weird things. Terrible accuracy!

Anyway, you can find the UT-61E for around $50-60. Highly recommend it. There's also a mod for it to enable backlight on the eevblog forum!

I picked up a Fluke 115 off Ebay about 4 years ago for $55. Its a great meter and still is working perfect.

I was looking at the fluke 115 (117 and $75 now I think) but found the cheaper vichy (linked to by a few people now) measured twice the capacitance with 4 times the accuracy. Fluke can make cheap meters just like everyone else can. Only they don't have to drop the price accordingly as some people will think buying a brand is a good decision. It's not a tool show though. We are trying to test a bike.

I think the best advice here is spend next too nothing while getting as much functionality as possible. Something you can loose or smoke, because it was buy one get one free. You do need a very accurate voltmeter though if your setting up critical charge voltages. One you can verify occasionally, or have calibrated by someone responsible. Few cheap meters can be calibrated though. If I had to draw a single line between amateur and professional meters, I would say certification.

Edit: Had a visitor so cut short before..

I do like flukes. Who doesn't. It's hard not too. What you get is very professional. They are at their best when someone else pays for them though. You don't get much functionality for your money. Which I think a newbie posing this question needs.

I'm still happy with my £25 inc meter. Too happy to be honest. It seems sinful to get this much happiness from $40. Finding out it is most probably certifiable is a hoot. On a down note after 14 mins it demands attention, and at 15 it turns off. A bar graph is a bit pointless on an auto ranging meter. Mostly though, the continuity buzzer needs switching on every time you select the resistance range(presuming you want the beep). It is just one push of a well located button, but I would rather be able to switch it off than on. The screen is great though. The numbers are large and near the surface, making extreme viewing angles a cinch. Once it has fell off my seat on to the floor, I can still read it through my spokes. Easily.

Giovanni LiCalsi said:
This looks very promising and the price is right.
What is very inventive about these wireless multimeters is that the can automatically set off a silent or audible alarm and can also send you an email to warn you about changes in voltages and mechanical movements.

http://www.i-voltmeter.com

That thing looked awesome. Unfortunatly, It says it was cancled back in 2012. That sucks, as I would love to have a tool like this.

bought a fluke 115 now. they seem to be cheap everywhere except europe. i paid 135€ for it (p&p and taxes included). this meter does everything i need and is very accurate. i never used transistor testing or temperature on my other meter. voltage, current, diodes and capacity is all you need for ebikes imho.

1st point, most fancy DMMs have "true rms" readout. This is handy for sizing wires & fuses but most other times is plain confusing & leads to lots of schoolboy errors. One to watch out for, for example battery current into a PWM controller can be wildly wrong if you're trying to work out how longthe battery will last & you have an rms reading meter
2nd point, a clamp on ammeter is extremely handy. Most of them only measure AC. Tenma do/did a DC reading one that was on offer at £20 when I got mine - it has 40A and 200A ranges. It uses (I suspect) linear hall effect & you have to zero it with apot onthe instrument if you want to trust low amps readings. Look out for this one, I've seen them on ebay, but it's VERY easy to buy an (identical) AC only one by mistake.
3rd point, places like aldi often offer DMMs at £2.99 or similar. I've had a few of these & for what they are they work fine + you don't care if they're dropped or nicked or stop working. When you get a chance calibrate yours against somebody else's fluke!!! Mine have all been surprisingly good (i.e. all the digits you read were about right)
At work I have a couple of flukes, one with a 5digit readout. Great tools, but not what I can afford for me.
Bob

I am looking to get a proper multimeter and looks like I will be shooting for fluke, but which one? I need to measure termination resistance etc. 179 caught my eye but perhaps 116 would do the job just as good?

agniusm said:
I am looking to get a proper multimeter and looks like I will be shooting for fluke, but which one? I need to measure termination resistance etc. 179 caught my eye but perhaps 116 would do the job just as good?
i guess the 116 is a great one. i didn't take care enough and bought a 115 which lacks microamp measurement :(
but i'm still very happy with it. especially the very fast "closed circuit" testing with beeper is very nice. much faster than my other meters.

The new HP meter is my new favorite. This is coming from using a Fluke 289.

liveforphysics said:
The new HP meter is my new favorite.
Sorry, I'm having trouble parsing this. Does "new" mean "new-to-me, 15-year-old", or does "new HP" mean "Keysight"? Or does "HP" stand for something other than "Hewlett-Packard"? Perhaps a model number would sever this particular Gordian knot.

Funny, I didn't realize until now that Agilent had spun off their electronic measurement business...

This meter is my current favorite. It uses my phone through bluetooth for logging and display, it's extremely fast to give you a precise reading (maybe 1/4 the time it takes my 289), it's readings are very steady and repeatable, and it has the best display I've ever had on a meter (particularly so when it's using a galaxy note3 display).

http://www.keysight.com/en/pd-2180564-pn-U1273AX/handheld-digital-multimeter-45-digit-oled-display-40c-to-55c-operating-temperature?nid=-34618.1032171&cc=US&lc=eng

Back