HPC striker v4 motor what do you think????

rider95

1 kW
I am looking at this hub motor High Power Cycle says it will hold up to 2000w with np anybody know any thing about there motors?? Its a BMC that HPC says has been reworked be stronger then a stock BMC HPC calls them striker motor it ,s made for climbing hills thinking about replacing my Mac 10t with one are they worth the money???

Attachments

• bike compressed.jpg
    bike compressed.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 4,412
BMC and MAC motors are extremely similar and the gear clusters are actually interchangeable. There are some minor structural differences but you are talking about essentially the same motors. So this gets down to the stock BMC vs the HPC BMC.

BMC V2S = MAC 8T
BMC V2T = MAC 12T
I don't know how this plays out for the particular HPC wind and their funky name - 8T? 10T, 12T? Dunno...

HPC made some improvements - some old propaganda description here- but the MACs have thinner lams as well and the case sizes are similar. Stock phase wires are fine.

HPC are well known here and let's just say they are 'enthusiastic' in their claims.

In the end, you have virtually identical motors with similar efficiencies, the same size cases, and the same heat dissipation issues - you simply can't bleed off much heat before the motor begins to overheat. It is impossible to run either BMC or MAC motors at 2kW continuously without a meltdown. More like half that (surprise! 1000W motor). That said, I run my BMCs at 2kW for sprints as do many MAC owners - but that's not the motor 'rating'.

You might consider going 2WD (twice the torque, splits the heat across two motors) if you are looking for huge hill climbing power, but otherwise DD is your only out. Making the HPC buy cannot possibly give you sustained high power or huge power improvements over what you have (although a different wind than yours might have a different torque/speed performance (e.g. if HPC is equivalent to MAC 12T).

Thanks very much for the reply teklektik so two mac 10t would split the voltage so each motor would have half the watts per motor now that gets me thinking So I could run both hubs off the same battery wonder , what it will do to my range ?? I am getting 22mi on road and 12mi off road with my 12.5 battery and mostly ride off road . Would I need two speed controllers?

Gee - all the right questions... :D

Since the two motors have the same efficiency, if you were to travel at the same speed (say 20mph) one motor or two will use the same power and you will get the same range. If you have hills, then it may be that running two motors will actually use less power because the motors will be less loaded and will be running at a better point on the efficiency curve. The reality is, though, that you will probably use the available power and if you goose it a lot, the range will go down (so you may need more battery capacity).

Both motors get the same voltage and each requires a controller. At any given speed, each motor will only be doing half the work and so will use half the amps and generate half the heat as a single motor drive. But - when you pound it, both motors will run to max and you will draw twice the current as one motor - so your battery must be able to supply that. Ideally, you want a single battery that can supply all the current you need. This makes everything simpler to monitor and manage.

If you are going to do this, I would recommend getting a CA V3 with an external shunt to drive them so you can have a single throttle and single battery monitoring. It's also relatively easy to rig this so you can select to run on either one or two motors. I run on one at low speeds on bike paths to keep the noise down and get the single motor up into a decent efficiency range. Basically, you can rig this so it drives just like a normal bike - nothing unusual to control. Two motors will give you a top speed just a bit higher than a single motor, but not a heck of a lot.

Here's a thread about a 2WD MAC. He started with dual 8Ts and went to dual 6Ts. I don't remember anyone building up a dual 10T - that would be a torquey mama. See my build thread for some details on a another 2WD build using BMC motors - the equivalent of MAC 8Ts. These builds are similar in that they both use the idea of identical motors/wheels to simplify the control. Others are fans of mixed mode drive, but those solutions require too much management for me and are difficult to run at good efficiency since one motor or the other is always off the peak.

So - if you want to pursue this path you need to look at your battery current capacity for two motors, see if you can squeeze in another controller, and think through the controls you want and how to do them. This sin't complicated, but bad planning can lead to unpleasantness...

FWIW - the V3 will allow you to have 1WD/2WD PAS as well. This isn't too good for more technical stuff, but if you want to cruise groomed bike paths and have controlled assist for easy riding or health improvement, PAS works great. I also find it useful as a range extender since it keeps me honest with limited assist - I can't cheat by just twisting the throttle a little further. My PAS install is discussed in the build thread.

On the downside, if you are wailing away on more technical trails, 2WD may be a mixed blessing because of wheel spin and traction loss on the front wheel. If your speeds are low - not so much - but certainly a real consideration. This might be a real deal-breaker and push you to a bigger DD or perhaps one of LightningRod's mid-drives.

Just chiming in here. The changes on our BMC Motors are very minimal. In fact, the only difference now is the phase wires which are doubled out of the axle and 1/2 the length as well as being silver plated. Our significant changes planned for the V2S/V2T/V3 seemed to have gone out to everyone when the V4 was released. Next time we will have things in writing! Anyways, we sell the Motor only for $699, so if you can get it for less elsewhere, it might be worth your while unless you are really trying to run it hard closer to 2000W. Our Striker is a V4T with the minor changes above.

We stopped making bikes with these motors as we are awaiting the next version which will have temp sensors, and a revised hall sensor board with easier access. BMC has made some new controllers that we are testing now that operate smoother, are much physically smaller and weigh only 1 lb. When we finish testing, all dealers will have access to them directly from BMC. Ebikessf.com sells the V4C motor for $625 currently.

Back