Where is good place to buy Bafang BBS-02?

k90211lee

1 mW
Newbie here!

Just got Giant Talon 4, thinking about installing Bafang mid-drive. Is 8Fun and Bafang the same? Where is a good place to buy? Couple of US vendors are selling for $800. Saw a few vendors from china ~$600. $200 saving can go to battery budget but not sure chinese vendors are reputable. Please enlighten me on pro and con on Bafang mid-drive for nood!

Kav

The Bafang BBS-02 has proven to be a great solution for ebike conversions. '8FUN' is the model name of the kit, but most everyone refers to it as the 'BBS-02' because there is an older BBS-01 model that is no longer available.

California Ebike stocks many internal replacement parts and supports customers directly with any issues during installation or down the road. Here's an installation video created by Doug Snyder (owner of California Ebike) if you haven't already seen it.

http://california-ebike.com/bafang-8fun-mid-drive-installation-video/

I think Bafang actually translates to 8Fun going from Chinese to English.

I have one on order from Paul at EM3ev in Hong Kong. ( motor and battery) Picked him as he has a good reputation on this forum and others. My order is in transit at the moment but so far have found Paul good to deal with and excellent at queries and communications by email.

If you want to order online from china, I've had really good support from http://www.em3ev.com/store/ . Great prices also, but shipping will be a bunch, but such is life.

Em3ev.com is very reputable. There is also conhismotor.com & elifebike.com which are cheaper, but more sketchy.

greenbikekit is also reputable... and cheapest of the Trust list.. he also stock spare parts which is good idea to stock up.
http://www.greenbikekit.com/bafang-8fun-mid-crank-driving-bbs-02-kit-48v-500w-750w-central-driven-motor-kit.html

What's the difference between the BBS-01 set and the BBS-02?

k90211lee said:
Saw a few vendors from china ~$600. $200 saving can go to battery budget....
+1 for the poster above who mentioned greenbikekit. I bought my Bafang BBS02 750W from greenbikekit.com for $530 shipped -- that's another $70 you could put toward batteries over the $600 option you mentioned. (500W version is $20 cheaper if you don't need the 750W version, although if you live in a hilly area you'll be glad you spent the extra $20 to get the 750W version.)

http://www.greenbikekit.com/electric-bike-kit-1/central-motor-kit/bafang-8fun-mid-crank-driving-bbs-02-kit-48v-500w-750w-central-driven-motor-kit.html

What type of batteries are you planning on buying? I built a 15Ah lipo pack for $240 (that's $80 per 5Ah) and got a 250W charger for $61 shipped. Details on my batteries on my build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63166

I bought the older version of the BBS02 and a 11,8 AH bottle battery mounted pack in April from conhismotor. They seemed to be the cheapest non-dodgy vendor at the time. I received a motor which sounded like it had a bunch of rusty old nails in it. I spent a lot of time taking it apart, and could never find the problem. I'm not retarded, but there is a limit to how much time I was ready to put into a brand new product I bought and eventually gave up. I'm not into buying trouble if that make any sense ?

I opened a Paypal dispute as it was clear the thing was never quality tested, and after many emails, they agreed to send me a new one if I sent back the defective one at my own cost, plus they would make a 50$ Paypal refund. 3 months later, I just received the replacement, and it's working OK so far. Oh, and they now refuse to reimburse me 50$ as they gave me the new model, which have the new controller, which cost them more asked me to accept 30$ instead... I gave up arguing with them, and asked them to send me a spare throttle and a spare bottle battery charger as both the kit and battery pack seem of average quality at best.

I'm now saving up for a spare kit as I KNOW this POS will give up on me someday by the look of it and what I saw inside while trying to fix it (the controller being the worst part). If I were to start over, I'd go with a MAC from em3v instead, or a brand new BionX D-Series as the BBS02 pedal assist sensor is far from smooth.

So the moral of the story is, I saved maybe 150$-250$ going with a less reputable vendor, but ended up wasting my summer. Food for thought.

edit: Actually, I was not even taking into consideration the 120$ I paid to ship it back. SO the kit ended up costing me at least 300$ more than the sticker price in the end.

Thank guys for all the reply!

I'm still deciding on greenbikekit or em3ev which to order. I got the email from Paul, em3ev. They have latest stock from factory according to their blog, this would avoid old stock and model.

Kav

cbzen said:
The Bafang BBS-02 has proven to be a great solution for ebike conversions. '8FUN' is the model name of the kit, but most everyone refers to it as the 'BBS-02' because there is an older BBS-01 model that is no longer available.

That is not quite correct. They are two different models.

Andrew

cbzen said:

Beats me where you got this information - it's 100% incorrect.

8FUN is Bafang's corporation name.

The BBS01/02 are both in full production - BBS01 is 36v and BBS02 if 48V

There are several variations on both units, mainly to do with the controllers fitted to them.

Savvas.

Anyone try Alibaba?

I've done some research and many people have had positive reviews of the kits off Alibaba from vendor Amy ke.

Can anyone confirm experiences with them?

I got mine from Aliexpress. Seller was General Electric. I didn't have any issues, but I've read about others. I see the 750w version is listed at $465 shipped to the US from Elifebike. Tempted to get another for friends to ride with me. Aliexpress has been pretty good to me the one time I had a bum seller. They refunded me before I even had a chance to complain.

I wish I could recommend a vendor that was more communicative and responsive to the Bafang threads here. But we depend on second hand info. A shame really, but I do understand the reluctance. Still it would be helpful to get straight answers rather than the teeth pulling that seems to be needed to get some answers. The hardest part of owning A Bafang Mid drive is sorting through hundreds of pages to find answers and direction.

But, whining aside, I really like the choice I made. EM3ev and Lectriccycles.

Good luck,

T

OtterPi said:
Anyone try Alibaba?

I've done some research and many people have had positive reviews of the kits off Alibaba from vendor Amy ke.

Can anyone confirm experiences with them?

Yes.. I brought from Amy.

Shipping was slow and communcation not good... BUT the BBS01 from Amy is still going Strong!

Just got my stuff installed on the bike yesterday. Bought from EM3ev. Would recommend Paul easily based on my experience.

Fast shipping (12 working days from online order to delivered)

Good communications and willing to help out.

Order exactly as expected.

I Just purchased a BBS02 36V 500W motor with a 36V 13ah Battery from CNEbikes on Alibaba. They have been very helpful with answering questions, gettting back to me very rapidly and sending out the kit promptly. CNE also added the Hydraulic sensor at no extra charge. With shipping, the kit cost me $826 and was on my door within 1.5 weeks

jslabonte said:
I bought the older version of the BBS02 and a 11,8 AH bottle battery mounted pack in April from conhismotor. They seemed to be the cheapest non-dodgy vendor at the time. I received a motor which sounded like it had a bunch of rusty old nails in it. I spent a lot of time taking it apart, and could never find the problem. I'm not retarded, but there is a limit to how much time I was ready to put into a brand new product I bought and eventually gave up.

So the moral of the story is, I saved maybe 150$-250$ going with a less reputable vendor, but ended up wasting my summer. Food for thought.

edit: Actually, I was not even taking into consideration the 120$ I paid to ship it back. SO the kit ended up costing me at least 300$ more than the sticker price in the end.

You choose to pay no attention. Not to rub it in but hopefully others can learn from your mistakes.

jslabonte said:
I love Cellman reputation and all, but once on the paypal page after I wnet though the "pay" button on Cellman's site, after paypall fees, currency overhead and all, this vendor is almots 400$ cheaper.
I know it's not his fault canadian money is worth 10% less, but nonetheless, I'm a cheap SOB and I think I'm ready to gamble...

I have had positive experiences with both Lectriccycles.com & em3ev.com

FedEx managed to lose my >$1000 shipment for two weeks, but that's another story (and not Paul's fault.) I eventually did get it, though. :roll:

Wow tom, did you really had to go pull that quote from myself?
I shared in the intent of helping other make an informed decision about a specific vendor, not for other to pity me.
Too much time onyour hands?

Back