New Bafang Crank-Drives

Samd said:
tomjasz said:
Who is the vendor please?

Haha, sorry for the delay but I thought youd figure it out. See the red text below in my signature? :lol:

Oh, we're supposed to read sigs. :oops:

Hooked up a six fet sensorless today. Syncs ok.
http://youtu.be/s8J2e1ULMKM

Bit of sage-sounding advice from Paul at the EM3ev news page"

"Regarding BBS02 software settings. Please be aware, it is incredibly easy to either damage the controller or adversely affect how the BBS02 kit functions, by changing some settings in the software. I really do not advise customers to make changes and if you do, please be aware that those changes could easilty result in a controller failure. The standard settings on the BBS02 are really not bad and in future we will only make small changes, to allow 100% throttle at all times, remove the 40km/h speed limit on throttle and for throttle to work in assist 0. We will not be making any other major changes and I would respectfully ask that users do not consider a failed BBS02 to be a warranty claim if they have made changes to the software."

Savvas.

He's basically talking about not having the throttle or PAS come in at 100% (the default is 30% or 20% then a ramp up).

Also, "keep current" is another setting that users should be aware of. 50% is the defualt, so it will only pull about 500w constant (not peak). Setting keep current to 100% can allow 1000w constant, which isn't good for the motor or controller.

so it will only pull about 500w constant (not peak). Setting keep current to 100% can allow 1000w constant, which isn't good for the motor or controller.

Hmmmmm.......so by that reasoning setting it to 100% would be ok if you are running a 500W 48V that is actually a de-rated 750W 48V ??

Interesting as the consensus on this thread so far seems to be that 100% is good for Keep Current.

Kepler said:
Looks promising. Do you think there would be enough room in the stock controller casing for the 6fet circuit board if you gutted it?

Hmm, I'll check it out when the new BBS controller arrives but I doubt it due to the curved shape of the casing, and the overlap inside of the ring gear of the clutch assy. I was thinking of running the phase wires down from the controller inside a rack battery case, about 50cm each I guess....

I gutted the dutch style chain cover last night, pretty ugly behind there but you don't see the holes I drilled from the back side.
Had to bolt it to the motor casing using m3 screws.

And I need my laser cut 104BCD adapter, stock chainwheel won't fit inside the opening....

Anyway, the unit hides nicely back there I think...
IMG_20141005_171342.jpg

Received the battery from EM3ev today and installed the gear tonight. :)

Wound up putting a HWBS on the front brake and used one of the brake levers that came with the kit on the rear since could not separate the front deralier shifter from the left brake handle.

Charged the battery for 4 hours till the led went green, and everything installed very easily, turned it on and it just works. :) Did the initial settings from the display. Limited speed to 35km/hr and selected for 9 PAS levels.

Below is a very bad photo. Little in the way of lights in my backyard. :(

IMAG0024.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ivs2w5z697i7ob/IMAG0024.jpg?dl=0

Anyhow, took it for a ride up the street and around a couple of blocks. This is a VERY different beast from the Aseako Alto my OH has. :) :)

The power difference is profound. Bucket loads of torque and very responsive. I suspect one difference is the gearing as the Aseako's feels quite high and also i opted for the smaller 46T chainring on my kit.

So far have tried on throttle and up to PAS4 and very happy.

Only frustration is trying to tidy up the cables. Suspect i have a couple of iterations to go on that one.

Dealing with Paul and Moon at EM3ev has been great. Product arrived well packed, just as described and discussed with Paul.

Ordered on the 19th Sept and ALL arrived by today, so, 12 working days total from online order to having a running ebike. That's pretty good i reckon.

Would certainly recommend EM3ev as a vendor based on my experience.

So, off on the commute to work in the morning and will see how it goes. All i have to do now is find some lycra clad road bike riders to blow away............... :twisted:

astmacca said:
.....All i have to do now is find some lycra clad road bike riders to blow away.......
One of my favorite parts of Bafanging. :)

darth_elevator said:
astmacca said:
.....All i have to do now is find some lycra clad road bike riders to blow away.......

I dig the verbization! I hope to do some "Bafanging" soon!
Muhahahaha.... :twisted:

darth_elevator wrote:
astmacca wrote:

I personally like the term 'fanging' . Not sure how this translates outside Australia, but to 'fang' around on the bike has been a term we occasionally use in Australia to refer to "skylarking" or "joyride" or :twisted: -"drive with aggressive intent"

Thankyou to all of you for your insights/advice/ and generous sharing of knowledge......really. I could not have attempted my build without it.....really.

I 'fanged' by bike last night along my 42km commute on a 10.25 Ah 519Whr Em3 battery through the 750w Fang. Yes I achieve that 42km commute on that little battery, usually on PAS 3 or 4. Speeds mid 30's km/hr. Often above 40km/hr.
i have no battery monitor and i really am a noob when it comes to electricity. You say watt and I say what? So all my experience is from this forum; the batteryuniversity website and http://www.electricbike.com website (inparticular spinning magnets authoured contributions).

The 750W fang is paired to a 29r XC mountain bike hardtail with road/commute tyres. My insights are only as a long distance commuter 84kms every day...rain or shine, describing real world observations. I wish i could contribute to your more linear note comparisons but i fear I have no instruments or tools to provide meaningful data. I will publish some of my bike eye candy soon. The Fang rocks!

This unit has not overheated once regardless of moderate uphill distances. Heavy downpour rain and the Fang says "so what". I have not made any special modification ('cos i don't really know how? :? ), just plug and play and have now reached a little under 3000kms on the 9Fet Fang.

Give me a yell if you put any of those up for sale on your website Samd and i will try to convince SWMBO i need one. :)

I feel very bad adding yet another post to this already 144 page mega-thread, but I did indeed read over it all over the past day, and now have 25R 29E 82650 and all sorts of batteries spinning through my head and in my dreams. In any event, I am in San Francisco and did a couple demo rides on some electric bikes at New Wheel and now am hooked on the idea of an ebike. Unfortunately the Bosch 350W Felt bike is way out of my budget (it costs as much as my motorcycle!!!). So I've pretty much settled on the bafang mid drive 750W but haven't ordered one yet. I'm concerned about the geometry of my donor bike. It's a Marin Alpine Trail 29er. It has a pretty thick frame, so I'm worried about clearances. http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/description/2013-alpine-trail-29er-usa-can-int-int-uk The BB width seems to be standard though at around 66mm (measured with an inaccurate tape measure). But it seems to be buffeted and grows toward the weld point at the BB, which concerns me. What do you think, will I be able to mount the bafang 750W to this frame? Also it's an aluminum frame, and I know this isn't ideal, but will it work OK for moderate trail use?

I very much like the downtube battery packs that have a locking mechanism for their simplicity and think I'll start out with one of these, perhaps a 25R based ~10Ah pack from em3ev as my starter battery. But I'm not sure I can wait the ~4 weeks and may go with something I can find locally.

Hi Kzahel

You should have no issues with that frame fitting the bbs. Worst case you may need to add a thin spacer washer if case clearance is at issue but still have plenty of thread remaining to properly secure the bbs to the bike. If your using it mostly off road, get the smallest stock sprocket they will supply and live with what ever top speed you get. 9- 11ah 18650 cell inside the triangle battery will be great for this setup. Aluminum frame is fine and you can always add a suspension seat post. Good luck with it.

cheers.

kzahel said:
I very much like the downtube battery packs that have a locking mechanism for their simplicity and think I'll start out with one of these, perhaps a 25R based ~10Ah pack from em3ev as my starter battery. But I'm not sure I can wait the ~4 weeks and may go with something I can find locally.
I too fell in love with the smoothness of the Bosch setup at New Wheel but the $4700 price tag was just too rich for my blood. I tested all the other hub drives they had and they just couldn't compare to the middy. Doug who runs California e-Bike out of Benicia carries all stuff you would need for a 750W Bafang locally but charges a premium accordingly. He also has some e Prodigy turn-key middy 350W/36V bikes that I am planning to try and get out to test. Check them out if you can't wait for a battery.

EDIT: Giving equal time to locals, Matt at Empowered Cycles in Castro Valley has Bafang middy's and batteries too plus a demo bike available.

-=dave

what's the best chain and cassette to get?

What about this?
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=2;product=24282

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;menu=1000,4,8;product=159

speedmd said:
Hi Kzahel

You should have no issues with that frame fitting the bbs. Worst case you may need to add a thin spacer washer if case clearance is at issue but still have plenty of thread remaining to properly secure the bbs to the bike.
There are other concerns besides the BB width. The drawing below shows that the ID of the BB shell has to be > 33.5 mm all the way through (no projections from joining tubes, etc.), and the BB shell thickness has to be < 12.8 mm to fit between the BB and the motor. (Drawing originally posted here.)

file.php

cwah said:
what's the best chain and cassette to get?

What about this?
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=2;product=24282

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;menu=1000,4,8;product=159

Chains for Ebike would be better...a bit expensive
KMC X9e EPT E-Bike Chain
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;menu=1000,2,83;product=94463

KMC X9-93 Chain
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;menu=1000,2,83;product=7762

Back