Oset 24" build

nice frame
what stock motor is in there and do you use it?

madin88 said:
nice frame
what stock motor is in there and do you use it?

When I get chance later tonight (and hopefully its not too hot in the garage) I'll take the motor out and do a detailed measuring and some close up photos. Gwhy is going to have a look at it for me to see which version it is.
I will be using the stock motor for now. Going to do a bit of community service and test its limits a bit and see what we can get out of their motors.

Ordered My controller from Kelly Controllers on Friday afternoon at about 4pm...Monday morning it was at my house.
There are many things about shipping to Australia that suck as we are so far away...but when your in Asia, electronics get to you sooo quick

Bring on home time! :twisted:

Great info and sick looking bike. Also good news about your health!

I just got an oset 20 and want to extend the battery range as much as possible and i was thinking of running some "Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 20C" Lipos in parallel and then in series. Is there a better solution? I also saw you mentioned a brushless motor, how hard would that mod be?

Also, what would the http://www.lifepo4.cc/72V%2040AH%20lifepo4%20battery%20pack.html do for me as for range and what would it take to connect it to the stock wiring/controllers? It's pretty spendy but I have plenty of crap laying around i could sell on craigslist to raise the funds.

thanks!

SZ

stonezone said:
Great info and sick looking bike. Also good news about your health!

I just got an oset 20 and want to extend the battery range as much as possible and i was thinking of running some "Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 20C" Lipos in parallel and then in series. Is there a better solution? I also saw you mentioned a brushless motor, how hard would that mod be?
Also, what would the http://www.lifepo4.cc/72V%2040AH%20lifepo4%20battery%20pack.html do for me as for range and what would it take to connect it to the stock wiring/controllers? It's pretty spendy but I have plenty of crap laying around i could sell on craigslist to raise the funds.
thanks!
SZ

Stonezone, you should make a build thread for your Oset 24, it worked out great!

Ive done a little bit of work on the bike. Forks fitted new bars have arrives, new rear wheel and tyre setup. Need to get the metal work done so I can crack on with it. Lifes too busy (as we all know).
I have put a little review of the wheel I will be running in the back:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63827

Swing arm is still the stock length so it looks a little odd. However im pretty happy with the overall diameter and how it will sit. Added a 1000lbs spring to the rear shock.

I'm starting to regret adding this much rolling mass to the rear wheel. Does anyone think ive gone a bit overboard? its not out of the question for me to run a 24 inch rear as the OD isn't too much larger.
Moto tyre and wide BMX rim: 1500grams for the wheel. 3220grams for the tyre, totalling 4720grams
24 inch mtb setup: 1180gramsfor the wheel. 1495grams for matching tyre, 2675grams

although the tyre will be hard as nails, it seems like a big increase.

Need to sort out something brake wise.

you might not regret it if you upgrade the motor, but as it I think you mav. What i realized about my Oset was, "it's not going to be a motorcycle" and it better better to me sticking to a beefier mtb setup....unless you were to seriously increase the power that is... as mine is now it does almost 25mph, and will climb a decent hill without too much trouble. Frame feels like it will snap under me if I hammer it too hard.

stonezone said:
you might not regret it if you upgrade the motor, but as it I think you mav. What i realized about my Oset was, "it's not going to be a motorcycle" and it better better to me sticking to a beefier mtb setup....unless you were to seriously increase the power that is... as mine is now it does almost 25mph, and will climb a decent hill without too much trouble. Frame feels like it will snap under me if I hammer it too hard.

Thanks for the feedback! I will be running 60v so in theory I will get a few more MPH out of it. I might revise my tire choice and see if I can get that weight down. If not, It will be back to running a 24 inch rear. Have you looked at putting that 3kw Golden motor into the Oset? or do you think that frame wouldn't be up to the task?

I would like to put it in there but I'm just going to start from scratch and go huge in an attempt to build my own frame. I seriously thing i'd break the Oset frame, but maybe I just need a beefier rear shock.... The GM has a larger diameter and is thinner than the brushed Oset motor so there would be some work to fit it and since it's actually pretty decent for what I'm using it for now I'll just keep it. I think you are 100% on to something with the 60v, I wish i had gone that route when I upgraded my controller, BUT I have had my motor get pretty hot already when I hammer on it so I always had the feeling that I would fry the motor before i ran out of batteries. All in all, i'm super happy with my Oset. I learned a ton from modifying it and everyone that sees and rides it, loves it. I just wish i had one when i was 3 years old or however the lucky kids these days are getting on it.

stonezone said:
I would like to put it in there but I'm just going to start from scratch and go huge in an attempt to build my own frame. I seriously thing i'd break the Oset frame, but maybe I just need a beefier rear shock.... The GM has a larger diameter and is thinner than the brushed Oset motor so there would be some work to fit it and since it's actually pretty decent for what I'm using it for now I'll just keep it. I think you are 100% on to something with the 60v, I wish i had gone that route when I upgraded my controller, BUT I have had my motor get pretty hot already when I hammer on it so I always had the feeling that I would fry the motor before i ran out of batteries. All in all, i'm super happy with my Oset. I learned a ton from modifying it and everyone that sees and rides it, loves it. I just wish i had one when i was 3 years old or however the lucky kids these days are getting on it.

good to know mate. Thanks for the info.
Sadly I'd be stepping waaaaaay outside my comfort zone in an attempt at making a custom frame. I Just wouldn't be able for it.
I still mountain bike for my off road rush, the Oset is just a big piece of fun for me. My more serious build is going to be starting soon, got the heads up from Samd That my MXUS 3000w motor has arrived =) so this may be put on hold, as the high powered cruiser is more my end goal. I'd be in handcuffs in my area if I tried to ride around town on my Oset. Yet my city is full of bikies (the scary type) so maybe my Ruff Cycles frame will blend in a bit.

Hey Sean, just found your thread. Will drop you a pm, lets get that MXUS over to you!

lucky i live in hawaii. no real rules or if there are there is no enforcement. dirtbikes all over the streets all the time. the deathbike wouldn't even raise an eyebrow..... pack a chainsaw and you can go anywhere unbothered.

stonezone said:
lucky i live in hawaii. no real rules or if there are there is no enforcement. dirtbikes all over the streets all the time. the deathbike wouldn't even raise an eyebrow..... pack a chainsaw and you can go anywhere unbothered.

Living the dream brah! :)

3D68777A-F31B-4B3D-8D30-0E6DD3991126_zpsgbj3saza.jpg

New DNM rear shock. Much more adjustability

40F7F824-F897-40A4-93FE-74AA5943583D_zpscy0gkzar.jpg

Oset sprocket carrier. So purty, 76 tooth 219 sprocket.

BD00BC82-B2FE-4838-9995-4BF17B8AAFFC_zpsgnltktup.jpg

Stock sprocket next to aftermarket

skeetab5780 said:
Sub’d but cannot see pics :(

yeah like me , just subbed , he used that photobucklet to upload pictures, horrible, an internet betrayal platform

his last post was from 2015 tough

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
I think Sean also got a surron so he's probably riding that ..

Is that supposed to mean the Sur-ron is more fun that a Oset 24? Sur-ron is not that powerful. Im sure the seat is more comfortable...

depends on how and where you ride, that's why you need more than one bike..
for technical trial riding I would prefer the oset, but for trail or street riding I would prefer surron or lmx, etc.. but surron also has more range and there is less risk of fire hazard with production bikes .. but all the flowers in the garden are beautiful, each different and unique.. :banana:

So the Sur-ron was just easier. Buy it now button and roll!

Although they have the oset 24 in stock now! For a grand more..but im too tall for the trial and prefer an actual seat

skeetab5780 said:
So the Sur-ron was just easier. Buy it now button and roll!

Although they have the oset 24 in stock now! For a grand more..but im too tall for the trial and prefer an actual seat

I think the kuberg is great for a tall rider.. one of the first in the genre and they are even available homolgated now (but the seat is too tall for trial) ..

I ride trials, not mx and the surron is def a better bike all around. Upgrade the controller and batteries and you have infinite options for power delivery. I squeezed a 19x3.5” trials tire on the back. With the bike being on the smaller side, that rear paired with some 27.5 dorado forks and mtb tire makes the fit sweet.

Still not a true trials feel without a clutch

Back