Gear Sensor for Bafang BBS02 Mid Drive *+ other mid-drives?*

Alrighty, so i just got back from test ride no.1 with the Gear Sensor....

I admit, i was quite skeptical and had very low expectations but i have to say, it works quite well !!

I have a BBS01, 48v 10ah Li ( ebikes.ca Sony cell pack ) on a Tidal Force frame with 24" wheels.. i weigh 175 Lbs.

I tied it into the left side brake lever ( left ebrake disabled ) to retain the throttle side ebrake lever function.

Shimano thumb/index shifter, 7 speed.

The motor cuts out before the chain moves and power comes back on about 1~2 seconds later, just in time. Wen pedaling, the momentary loss of power slows you down just enough to shift cleanly unless you are mashing the pedals ( witch all cyclists know not to do .. right ?... )

More after further testing.

Short test ride No.2, using throttle only ( not pedaling ) going up a slight incline, accelerating, and shifting to a smaller cog, there are times when the power shuts off and does not come back on until you release the throttle and come back on.. not all the time, but on occasion... This MAY have to do with the way i installed the unit... :lol: .. easier to explain with pictures.

Ypedal said:
Short test ride No.2, using throttle only ( not pedaling ) going up a slight incline, accelerating, and shifting to a smaller cog, there are times when the power shuts off and does not come back on until you release the throttle and come back on.. not all the time, but on occasion... This MAY have to do with the way i installed the unit... :lol: .. easier to explain with pictures.
This is along the same lines that I experienced. Occasionally, power will not come back until a new command is entered into the controller. That could be a brake trigger, throttle input, or pause & restart of pedal cadence.

ok.. the GS is officially removed from my bike. :(

The occasional not-returning-power after a shift, gets progressively worse in wet weather... and at a busy four way intersection, the last thing i want is to loose power in heavy traffic. it was not fun.

The concept is a great one, and if done right it has serious potential, on production bikes used by newbs, it could reduce service costs i'm sure of it...

Honestly, as a bicycle user, this is a solution looking for a problem that i really don't have.. with even the slightest bit of seat time, you learn how to shift a BBS smoothly and it's a non-issue.

If the unit had a pinch screw to grab the cable mechanically, instead of a plastic wheel prone to failure and wear / slip .. it might be more consistent.

So I'm not the only one....
Ypedal, did you get your test unit from Tom?

I wonder if we just got a bad batch of units???

Yes he did. As soon as I did some harder riding I got the same results. Now removed. What a pain in my n00b arse!

Just curious - what di you guys do about the missing 2" of shift cable sheathing after removing the gear sensor? Did you completely replace the cable housing? - or other creative solution?

I'm thinking a short piece of metal tubing might do the trick???

Ypedal said:
I installed it inline on my frame where there is no cable housing, secured the unit to the frame with tape ( it was not moving, at all.. 100% certain ) .. so no need to re-do my housings muahahah.
Yup! I got something right for a change. BTW now that I've let them know what has transpired they've gone silent. As well as the USA distributor they're working on. I've written him and asked how the testing was going. Nada!

Just spitballing here, but I wonder if the hidden wire brake sensor could be adapted to this application. From a little clicking around, it's not clear whether its activation mode is appropriate for shift vs. brake cable operation. Anybody have one that could comment?

cycborg said:
Just spitballing here, but I wonder if the hidden wire brake sensor could be adapted to this application. From a little clicking around, it's not clear whether its activation mode is appropriate for shift vs. brake cable operation. Anybody have one that could comment?

I have two different versions of the hidden wire brake sensor, and none of them will work as shift sensors. They only sense movement in one direction, and only turn off again when the magnet inside is returnet to the off position.

I've just been mashing my gears under power and the chain flips to the next gear. :shock: Down (to the small cogs) is easier than up.
Probably not a good idea, but I have high quality KMC chain and a good derailleur so everything goes with a solid thunk.
Of course, I don't shift like an idiot and know when to change gears.

I did experience a lot of chain falling off in the beginning, especially the larger cogs where the chain line isn't exactly straight, but then I installed my front derailleur and fixed it to be stationary with the travel adjustment screws, no problems now.

A distributor is testing units and meeting with the GS group in Europe next week. More to come as it unfolds. I still really like the intended function. Perhaps we'll here, or get a review, from Paul and LeGrand too in Las Vegas
I'd like to have mine running again!

T

Not a peep. I guess I need to rattle a cage or two.

izeman said:
i would still like to test. i got a bbs02 installed on one bike (and it's REALLY needed there!), but could also test on my 2kw kona with middrive. so if you want me to test PM me please.
Contact the company. I contacted them because I was personally interested. I have no association with the company. I have several but shipping to you is expensive and I have no financial interest in their success. Have you tried contacting them?

i did contact them. took a long time to get an answer, and then they wanted to sell it to me for 50€+. sorry. no interest to invest my time and help improve a product and then pay the regular price for it. no will to pay some upfront fee to do testing for them :(
if i can test it for free i will, and post my findings.

Not much action that I have heard. I think Lectriccycles was testing the sensors as well.

The best advice I can give is to get used to tapping a brake lever to disable the drive so you can shift. You don't have to pull the brake hard, either, just enough nudge to break the connection of the sensor inside the handle. After a few rides, it should be second nature.

The advantage of this "learned technique" is that your brain can make it a "smart" kill switch and only kill the motor on up-shifts and during times of high-current, instead of indiscriminently killing the drive on all shifting actions.

skyungjae said:
... so nothing came of this?
Lectric cycles was purported to be in line to be the US distributor, but as is typical in my experience , leGrand is much talk and little action. Numerous emails to him and Gear Sensor remain unanswered. My last contact with GS representative accused us of having skewed the testing by tweeking Bafang software. Which is untrue. GS has refused to reply. As has LC. None of the samples I distributed were consistent performers.

Last sample sent to another professional custom BBS02 builder to test. Will report back with that review. I don't expect any change. Tesla's technique is much simpler than another bit to fail.

Dear all,

at first I would like to mention that I am sorry, that I didnt check the latest posts and that I didnt reply.
In fact we were really busy - we are right now working on compatibility with numerous mid-drive units.

We have analyzed your reviews (I believe that the GearSensor malfuction happened in bad weather conditions, am I right?).
We already know where the problem was.

The GearSensor samples which we sent to Tom were produced only in our samples workshop, so these pieces were not produced according to mass production technology.

Our samples workshop made GearSensor PCB lacquering by conformal coating hand spray (so the PCB was only spraid). Then the protection of PCB wasnt enough good against water, dust, salt water. This caused malfunction of GearSensor. The mass production technology includes different protention. In mass production we are dipping the PCB in special material which is resistant against water, dust... So then the protection of PCB is for 100%.

In fact we are right now finishing negotiating with importer/distributor.
I believe that in the next few weeks we will publish the name of the company.
Then the GearSensors from mass production will be available in US from this company.

We have also finished GearSensor compatibility with new Bafang mid-drive motor (MAX drive system).

Radim Mraz / GearSensor team

We'd like to test again, please!

Back