HARDTAIL+9C clone Frame Build - (HD videos added 7/28/13)

Well I sold all my ebikes already to local customers and only kept my KMX trike .

As for this build the purpose was to find a supplier on ebay that could supply me a frame continuously. My goal was to design a battery frame that could house a 18650 battery and to keep it simple with entry level components so that I could replicate it later on. HEre are the specs;

1- Motor - 9C clone motor
2- Controller- 12 fet infineon controller
3- Battery- 15S4P 18650 Samsung PAck (I envisioned building a bigger pack, but now that pack is going to another build I have planned :twisted: )
4- Left throttle and switch
5- Controller mount and torque arm well you know where those came from LOL
6- Tires - Kenda K838 with rhino liners and thorn resistant avenir tubes

So far the other components were source fairly easy and I'll make a list later here with the specs.

For now enjoy the pics. Videos will come later once I am done with the moving process :?

Still need to figure out the rear brake. I can confirm that AVID Elixirs and 180mm discs don't fit so my next try is the mechanical BB7's in the back with the same 180mm. If anyone has some feedback on that I appreciate it.

Update 7/28/13

Well I ended changing the MAC motor for a 9C. Made a quick video of my test ride and uploaded it to youtube.

I've been updating my 808 cameras and will soon start making some cool videos. Stay tuned!

Here ya go;

[youtube]QiLvpHEjMhQ[/youtube]

Update 9/16/13

Took the bike for a spin this weekend and took some snapshots.

It is interesting to see a texaco gas station abandoned.. whatever

Just managed to get the rear brakes working with the MAC motor.

I bought avid bb7 brakes and 180mm rotors. Removed the outer adjustment plastic and grinded down the adjustment bolt. It fits with approx 1/8" of an inch clearance.

Will start to take some videos soon and upload them here. :)

Also need to figure out fenders for the rear tire.

Looks good. I notice a lot of people do a mod on the BB7 brakes, I got BB5 brakes on my Bafang 500w and it doesn't require any shrinkige mods.
Also I noticed you got a handlebar mirror, does that work well for you? I got a cheaper one the other day from ebay and its crap, its way too small to see anything and it shakes too much when riding.

I have now ordered a helmet mirror which I can't help but will alleviate all my problems.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=helmet+mirror&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHLW_enAU501AU501&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=oo3nUbjRAeiaiQLCo4CYBg&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=1360&bih=643&sei=s43nUenzMeT9igKMjIHYCw

TheBeastie said:
Looks good. I notice a lot of people do a mod on the BB7 brakes, I got BB5 brakes on my Bafang 500w and it doesn't require any shrinkige mods.
Also I noticed you got a handlebar mirror, does that work well for you? I got a cheaper one the other day from ebay and its crap, its way too small to see anything and it shakes too much when riding.

I have now ordered a helmet mirror which I can't help but will alleviate all my problems.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=helmet+mirror&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHLW_enAU501AU501&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=oo3nUbjRAeiaiQLCo4CYBg&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=1360&bih=643&sei=s43nUenzMeT9igKMjIHYCw

I never tried the BB5's but if they are a straight bolt on and go set that is good to add to the reference pages.

The handlebar mirror I have is a ZEFAL one. The mirror is essentially a reflective plastic. It should get worse with time but for now it is holding.

I commute mostly in the bike lane (right side) and it is good to see if a car is getting too close. Other than that when I don't use it it folds back below the handlebar.

The helmet mirrors are pretty good. I've only heard good reviews from them.

Bill Nye the science guy said:
what do you find is the difference between the mac and 9c. Which 9c and which mac?

bike looks great, what amperage are you running?

Unfortunately I never had a chance to get my MAC running due to a damaged shipping issue. At the moment I decided to store it and buy something else. I already had an old 9c clone and decided to swap it.

I kind of like the 9C clone it is good for commuting and reliable. I'm running 30-35 amps on this one but this is a soft start controller. I'm planning on changing it to a normal start one for more acceleration but I gotta say I get good range from this setting as it is.

Took the bike for a spin this weekend and took some snapshots.

It is interesting to see a texaco gas station abandoned.. whatever

In the next couple of weeks I'm gonna be filming some short "commercials" LOL for my website. This is gonna get interesting. :D

Love all the support this forum has given me.

Yeah I am setting up my helmet to have a permanent front mounted keychain camera for my daily commute. Then on top of my rear tailight I'll have another one.

I've been having way too many close encounters in the past couple of weeks. Stupid people texting or eating breakfast. One guy was actually eating breakfast with one hand texting with the other and driving with his knees WTF. People are crazy.

tomtom123 said:
Hard did you make that triangle case? what materials you used?

I made a dummy cardboard cutout of the triangle space then made some 3D sketchup models and had them laser cut out of ABS 3/16" sheets.

It uses the bottle mounts and it is VERY sturdy.

migueralliart said:
tomtom123 said:
Hard did you make that triangle case? what materials you used?

I made a dummy cardboard cutout of the triangle space then made some 3D sketchup models and had them laser cut out of ABS 3/16" sheets.

It uses the bottle mounts and it is VERY sturdy.

You got a laser cutter at home? or paid someone to do it?

migueralliart said:
I sent a 2D drawing to pololu.com they do all my laser cutting for me. so far never had any issues with them.
Btw what type of adhesive did you use to glue the sheets that were cut together to form the triangle? if possible what is the total cost of the trianlge frame, for materials and cutting? i want to make one. thanks in advance

The box is held together by small L shape brackets and bolts from home depot. The abs and all the bolts and pieces end up In total less than 80$ but it is assembled with a Phillips screwdriver and a bike multitool.

The cost of this comes down significantly if you order more than 3 but I didn't plan on selling them unless I could sell the frame + box which could be another possibility who knows.

Thanks for the comments guys!

migueralliart said:
The box is held together by small L shape brackets and bolts from home depot. The abs and all the bolts and pieces end up In total less than 80$ but it is assembled with a Phillips screwdriver and a bike multitool.

The cost of this comes down significantly if you order more than 3 but I didn't plan on selling them unless I could sell the frame + box which could be another possibility who knows.

Thanks for the comments guys!
$80 too pricey for me :(. i'll just buy an Em3v triangle then instead :D

love the abs frame triangle. i suppose if you were ever worried about someone trying to steal it you could use countersunk tamper-proof hardware. do you have a cad program? im going to put together some drawings and carboard mock-ups. maybe you can help me out a bit

Sorry for the very late reply I was out of a long vacation.

About the theft situation well I'm not really worried as I use my bike to and from work and I bring it inside my office.

The cad program I use if sketchup. You can use any program that can export a dxf file as this is what pololu uses.

Back