DrainBrain V1 series -OUT OF PRODUCTION!!

Justin is not making them anymore! If you managed to get one of the originals.. Then Bob's yer' uncle.

No worries, mate. It only gets better!!
http://www.ebikes.ca/drainbrain.shtml

:wink:

-S

Happy-sad news. Say, I hope the new version can apply to non-Crystalite e-bikes.

Justin's page to which you linked, Steve, has a new history.
I'll pluck one captioned photo from that page.

here's The Man

He was generous of his time to meet my request.

here's to Justin Lemire-Elmore

Thank you Justin, Alison, Segue

Yep, I bought one of those blue beauties before they went extinct. It is quickly becoming my favourite R&D tool.

Have a look at what the DB V2 can do. Too cool.. is that adjustable current limiting that I see?

DrainBrain_V2_Prev.jpg

Oops, hosed the thread. Can't stop to care.

:D

-S

Snipped from the "HomePage of the Brain"..

Quote-

Formerly Known as DrainBrain, Ebike Amp-Hour Meter

End of Name Announcement, April 2007:

So what could be more exciting than receiving three registered letters from a law firm on the same day? Hard to say. But it turns out that another company had registered the trademark "Brain Drain" for a power/amp-hour meter in the summer of 2005. That's not DrainBrain, but "Brain Drain", which isn't even a cute play on words, although fair enough that there would be confusion between the two. I didn't register any trademark. So, we're going to have to come up with a new name, and I'm going to tap into the community of users and ebikers once again to help find it. Stay tuned for an announcement of a new naming contest for the V2 DB device, and let the creative juices start flowing.

-Unquote

Wow, Reid.. you REALLY called it!

screenshot545xp6.jpg

It sucks that Justin now has to come up with a new name for the device formerly known as DrainBrain (perfect descriptive), but easier and cheaper than paying lawyers to go into legal battle, I guess.

I can't help but wonder if there might be some protection for him, and the name "DrainBrain".. considering that the DB's name was conceived in the public domain at about the same time -or just before- the name "Brain Drain" was trademarked.

While I didn't have anything to do with it's release, I can't help but feel that our collective intellectual property has been snatched. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyway, get yer thinking caps on!

-S

No, he has no legal recourse. We are talking about trademarks, not patents -- I believe it makes no difference when he started using it. In any case, it's only a name -- I couldn't really care less.

So let's discuss name ideas!

Up-Watts. :lol:

They're way over there in China.
Besides, it's good to give them a taste of their own medicine.

DrainVinci?
I suppose this other company now 'owns' the words drain & brain so those are out of the running completely. :roll:

Just In LeMeter.
W.H.I.P. - Watt Hour Instrument Panel. Or perhaps LeWHIP.
WMD -Watt(hour) Meter Display, Watt Meter of Distinction WatthourMonitorDevice, Weapon of Measuring Drain.

Jeepers,

Everybody is already starting...

OK. for the record (I hope the winner gets one).

EVB or EVBee or EVeeBee
(Electric Vehicle Brain)

:D

Those are some good ideas, guys.

I imagine that Justin may lay a V2 device formerly known as DrainBrain on the person who comes up with a new name.. don't really know.

Here's one-

Drainium

-S

Just checking out this forum to post the official launch of the naming contest and see that you guys are well ahead of me! Anyways, the new information on the V2 device is up at:

I'm trying to collect all the name ideas in a single location, so if those of you responsible for earlier suggestions on this list want to send them in an email to:

drainbrainname@ebikes.ca

that would ensure that the entries get counted and I'll know how to contact you.

-Justin

Stevil_Knevil said:
Those are some good ideas, guys.

I imagine that Justin may lay a V2 device formerly known as DrainBrain on the person who comes up with a new name.. don't really know.

Here's one-

Drainium

-S

I wonder if the Cranium legal department would be ok with that one.

Back