Revolt Rv-120 pro/ norco aline Video teaser

Ok this is my new built. This built is all about stealthy , space management and look.
I only have access to the basic tools ( jigsaw, drill press ) no cnc or any other machinery.

The frame it's a norco aline 2009. The best feature about this bike frame is the removable dropouts.
I extended the swingarm to make room for the motor.
I use the rv-120 from revolt 45kV. I'm waiting for the max-e controller.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 14,483
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 14,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 14,479
Are you planning on having freewheel on the brake side and have only re-gen braking for the back wheel? or have a brake sprocket combo on your electric drive side?

Looks like a lot of fun! Nice mounting location.

thats cool, the rv-100 doesn't look bad at all for a mid drive setup….

That's going to be pretty insane, especially given that the Adaptto should be able to give you 10kW peak and the motor's rated for around 15 peak, 5-7 continuous. Keep us updated!

Thanks.

So far the bike performers way beyond my expectations. like what the f... Is this THING!
I'm using a crystalyte 18fet stock, 100V 60amps.
The pedal side is on the left with a 16t freewheel.
For the motor side i use a 52t sprocket and for the beauty only i use a disk brake for the body part ( just look cool)

Videos soon...

Awesome build! looks great. With that motor it should fly! Subscribed..

Are you using regen braking? If so, does it work well? ( I am asking because I am building something quite similar and plan to use regen braking).

What chain are you using?

Thanks for the compliments!

You can't use regen on this drive because of the hub freewheel. The low kv make this motor ideal.
The bike is almost to scary to ride. With the batteries on my back pack, I only add 5 kilos to the bike with motor and controller. So verry lightweight compare to anything I have build so far. This motor can do 15000w peak so this is a completely different game.
Now I realy understand what Luke meant: choosing the right motor instead of adding transmission and gear to get performance.
I'm using normal bike chain for now, but I have a bmx chain for back up:twisted:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 14,223
Great job, man! :wink:

Can you show more of the motor support (geometry, materials) and the chain tensioner?
And how is attached to the bike?
Thanks!

We want a video! :mrgreen:

boisrondevens said:
Motor shaft: 11t
Rear wheel: 52t

so you are running 100v with a 45kv motor on a 26" wheel with a ratio of 11:52 if im understanding this correct :|

and the motor is happy is it i.e don't get hot :?:

gwhy! said:
boisrondevens said:

so you are running 100v with a 45kv motor on a 26" wheel with a ratio of 11:52 if im understanding this correct :|

Here's my back-of-the-envelope calculation (please correct me if I'm full of BS):

According to Wolfram Alpha that would gear the bike up to about 73-74mph unloaded. Using Wolfram Alpha, the standard drag equation (Fd =0.5*Cd*A*p*V^2), and appropriate values for individual terms (effective frontal area (Cd*area) of 0.38m^2 taken from the abstract of this PubMed paper, 1.225 kg/m^3 as the density of air at sea level, and 33.1m/s (a little over 74mph) as the velocity), the drag force on the vehicle at 74mph is about 255N. That force is then acting over a radius of about 13 inches (assumes a 26-inch bike wheel), giving you a back torque on the wheel of 82.88Nm. Feed that through the 11/52 gearing you're using, and you get a back torque of about 17.5N*m on the motor. A motor with a KV of 45 requires about 4.72 amps per N*m of torque you want to put out, so you'll need about 80A or so to actually sustain the torque to overcome drag at that speed. That motor's rated for 60-80A continuous, maybe more, so it should be fine.

ARod1993 said:
gwhy! said:
boisrondevens said:

Here's my back-of-the-envelope calculation (please correct me if I'm full of BS):

According to Wolfram Alpha that would gear the bike up to about 73-74mph unloaded. Using Wolfram Alpha, the standard drag equation (Fd =0.5*Cd*A*p*V^2), and appropriate values for individual terms (effective frontal area (Cd*area) of 0.38m^2 taken from the abstract of this PubMed paper, 1.225 kg/m^3 as the density of air at sea level, and 33.1m/s (a little over 74mph) as the velocity), the drag force on the vehicle at 74mph is about 255N. That force is then acting over a radius of about 13 inches (assumes a 26-inch bike wheel), giving you a back torque on the wheel of 82.88Nm. Feed that through the 11/52 gearing you're using, and you get a back torque of about 17.5N*m on the motor. A motor with a KV of 45 requires about 4.72 amps per N*m of torque you want to put out, so you'll need about 80A or so to actually sustain the torque to overcome drag at that speed. That motor's rated for 60-80A continuous, maybe more, so it should be fine.

:) i just have my doubts about the 80a cont with a kV of 45

ARod1993 said:

That seems fine. I used a loaded speed of 65mph in my spreadsheet and got a torque at the motor shaft of 14.2Nm. The motor weighs 4.3kg so that requires a specific torque of 3.3Nm/kg, which is believable....

Great job. Very clean build.
You have made me re-think my whole approach to my RV-120 build.

What rear hub are you using?
Where did you get the 52 tooth sprocket?

Thanks.

That seems fine. I used a loaded speed of 65mph in my spreadsheet and got a torque at the motor shaft of 14.2Nm. The motor weighs 4.3kg so that requires a specific torque of 3.3Nm/kg, which is believable....[/quote]

Thanks again Miles!

I dont have any real numbers in term of top speed and temperature for now.
I did a ride with my friend Benoit last weekend and atfer the run is cromo was not really touchable and mine was warm to the touch.

I have made the 52t sprocket to fit the rear hub freewheel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 14,009
boisrondevens said:
I have made the 52t sprocket to fit the rear hub freewheel.
Looks like a 52t chainring bolted to a disc brake rotor? I wonder if you shouldn't flip it around so the rotor spokes are in tension rather than compression. What kind of hub is that with disc rotor mounts on both sides?

wow, thats a badass middrive :)
do you know if Max-E works with this motor?

@ cycborg

it is fine that way the brake rotor installed ;) though i think it will not hold chain force..

Only 255N drag at over 70mph? Very interesting - I would have guessed it would be much more than that.

I like the brake disc sprocket, very clever. Did you have to soften the metal to drill and tap it to attach the sprocket?

John Bozi,

"The unsprung weight is still there."

The weight of the motor is barely unsprung. The center of the motor is about 4" from the swing arm pivot. The motor is moving up and down less than a quarter of the wheel travel. Plus the other benefits of better weight distribution and longer lasting wheels.

Back