New Bafang Crank-Drives

So the rainy season's coming on....what have people been doing with their Bafangs? I've taped around some of the connectors and plastic-wrapped the screen, but I'm still scared to take it out in more than a very light drizzle.

Any experiences, good or bad, with the BBS02 and really wet conditions?

Mine is standard and I have been through a foot deep ford 6 times with it without problems.
Its the lcd and throttle that would need waterproofing.

astmacca said:
Curious now though about wH / km?

With the programming i run and my riding normal habits i seem to be getting about 4 - 5 wH/km "fuel economy".

Hammering it ( for me), by using 85 - 100% current on PAS ( 15 - 18Amps draw) and being liberal on throttle use i'm getting about 9wH/km.

Hmm.. at that rate 440wH / 9wH/km is a range of 48km. Noice. :)

Had a look in this article:

https://www.electricbike.com/watt-hours/

and they are saying real world use is around 20wH/mile ( 12.4wH/km). That seems a lot??

Most of the bikes in that article are Hub drives though. Are Mid Drives (that use the bikes gears, i change gears a lot actually) that much more efficient??

wH/km are affected by speed, gearing, terrain and the biggy how much effort you put in, when healthy I averaged 3 to 5wH/km, now the trike does all the work a bit under 10 wH/km, to get 20wH/km you would have to be not pedaling and travelling fast.
A Cd can be more efficient if you use the gears efficiently, if not it will be similar to a hub, although as Kinninviekid shows compared to a DD hub he is getting double the range.

Geebee said:
You will need the LCD which also has the PAS and on/off switch unit attached to it permanently, also the speed sensor although that can be setup on the ring on the cranks if you wanted to but you lose accurate speed indication.
I suppose you could mount the lcd in the battery bag if you want it invisible?

thanks geebee -

Forgot to ask does the controller/motor have its own heat temperature cut off limit?

I'm interested in running all this on my hub motor bike to have two motors. Hence I don't want any more displays... clutter

just a neat tidy mid drive block and throttle / kill switch.

cheers

If I remember correctly the newer version have a temp cutout on the controller, I have never hit that temperature and hope I never do :)
The cheapest place to buy as you are in Oz is emax, plus quick delivery. http://www.emax-ebikes.com.au/

Hey there. Im in the planning stage of building a pack for a bbs02 and have a configuration question for my battery build.

specs 200 sansung 25 r .

will 14s 14 p (51-8v-58.8v) work ok voltage wise?

Thanks

20141126_084023.jpg

Wow, that'll be nuts. I'd probably consider using the cardboard tube separators or plastic grid holders to ensure a short doesn't occur. That's a lot of energy between your legs :p

I'd also be curious how well the controller holds up to the 14S pack voltage long-term. Teslanv has a 14S setup and has run a few hundred miles but I've not heard of someone whose ran long term at that voltage (but I'm still searching). The caps are rated for just 63V so 14S at 58.8V is certainly going to be stressing them. You may want to consider charging to 4.1V (57.4V) to increase longevity of the cells, plus give a touch more margin on the controller components.

That'll be a fun bike :)

-=dave

tungsten2k said:
Wow, that'll be nuts. I'd probably consider using the cardboard tub separators or plastic grid holders to ensure a short doesn't occur. That's a lot of energy between your legs :p

Also curious how well the controller holds up to the 14S pack voltage. Teslanv has a 14S setup and has run a few hundred miles but I've not heard of someone whose ran a long term at that voltage (burin still searching). The caps are rated for just 63V so 14S at 58.8V is certainly going to be stressing them. You may want to consider charging to 4.1V (57.4V) to increase longevity of the cells, plus give a touch more margin on the controller components.

That'll be a fun bike :)

-=dave

Good point i was planning to under charge with those figures. Ill put the the build in th 25r thread and have some more questions with how im to go about it.

Thanks

58,8v a lot, I will not show correctly on the display. 14s not BMS. Motor at this voltage and maximum load skips performance. When the voltage drops to subside. I also 14s li-poly batteries.

I suspect there are many BBS02 users running em3ev's 14S packs. I don't think 58V is anything to worry about, as long as you are not riding it on the throttle hard for long periods and overheating the motor.

I don't exactely know what is my max speed on granny gear but 20kmh sounds right as for off road i mainly stay on the road but when i go off road the only problem is the chain dropping some times but i m planning on putting my front deraileur to solve that problem

you could try the race face and choose your best t count, just need the adapter, no guide needed

Red8fun.png

However my set up is much more complex as I want this to run with my rear hub too which is in a small 20" wheel.

I was told by emax that I can't use my custom crank set up... (which I spent over $200 on!)

I am guessing its the spider... the bafang crank needs it connected to the drive shaft...

s600-30t.jpg

the bafang cranks look too hollow to shorten...

bafang-8fun-48v-750w-brushless-geared-mid.jpg

the drama continues
edit:
hold on

would these unicycle cranks fit?

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/uni-shop/cranks/cranks-cotterless102.html

102mm is very short (but look usable), I have used 155mm and they are nice (on a recumbent trike), the 110mm I tried did not alow a lot of torque to get moving.
If you don't mind the DIY finish look grab a kids 24" MTB crankset as alot are 155mm and cheap, cut away the spider and tidy up with grinder and sander.

Have many members used hub geared bikes for cyclone or bafang crank drives, as riding in town with derailer going to a lowest gear from a high gear would be better with these, as it is with my nuvinci hub. Can all hub geared bikes go from top gear to low while stationary as nuvinci .

I have an 8 speed Alfine hub on a Tonaro crank drive, you have to stop the motor to change gear, but you can change gear stationary, most hubs are like this, I have Sram 7 speed and Sturmley archer 3 speed that can be changed whilst stationary as well.

Got my bb02 750w25A last week...from btn aliexpress delivery took 10 days....

What is the easier/quick way to limit the power to 20Amp as my Lifepo4 battery will not like 25a?

750watt / 48v = 16amps

get a watt metre and keep your eyes on not drawing hard would be easy, keep your watts to the continuous rating... of 750-820

20amps x 41 lvc = 820w and then once you know the settings that might limit it to that on the display stick with them...

Thanks Geebee,
-- my next worry is how long would it the 8 speed last etc , We always take power off changing gear& my usual power is the 500w .Seems Buying a whole bike with these gears in (8 speed)here is cheap compared to trying to to buy a hub with gears only here in NZ on line.

Back