3D printed parts Depository

brent said:
Is anybody else having issues with the wheel running out? The pulley insert seems fine, but the entire wheel (and the pulley with it) does a sort of wobble when it spins, with a visible runout of <1mm. Possibly because one of the bearings is partially(or fully?) sitting on the threads, which are undersized compared to the rest of the axle/shaft..

Bump?

Wheel runout has been a pretty major obstacle for tensioning my mounts; really curious about whether others have had the same problem, and how they tackled or solved it.

brent said:
brent said:
Is anybody else having issues with the wheel running out? The pulley insert seems fine, but the entire wheel (and the pulley with it) does a sort of wobble when it spins, with a visible runout of <1mm. Possibly because one of the bearings is partially(or fully?) sitting on the threads, which are undersized compared to the rest of the axle/shaft..

Bump?

Wheel runout has been a pretty major obstacle for tensioning my mounts; really curious about whether others have had the same problem, and how they tackled or solved it.

Assuming wheel runout means the belt slides off the gear towards the metal motor mount? It only happened to me on my rear wheel board a long time ago. As soon as i changed to front wheel drive (which spins the tire in the oposite direction) the runout is towards the wheel itself where the iner end of the gearand wheel hold it in place. never had problems again.. After 3000+ kms the belt shows a bit of wear on the last milimeter or so.. but the rest of the belt is totally unafected...

If wheel runout does not mean that then i have no idea... :shock:

beto_pty said:
Assuming wheel runout means the belt slides off the gear towards the metal motor mount? It only happened to me on my rear wheel board a long time ago. As soon as i changed to front wheel drive (which spins the tire in the oposite direction) the runout is towards the wheel itself where the iner end of the gearand wheel hold it in place. never had problems again.. After 3000+ kms the belt shows a bit of wear on the last milimeter or so.. but the rest of the belt is totally unafected...

If wheel runout does not mean that then i have no idea... :shock:

Ah, should've made myself clearer. I meant the wheel doesn't seem concentric; so it sort of "wobbles" as it turns, and the effective center-to-center distance between the wheel pulley and the motor pulley changes.

Not all wheels are 100% concentric as they are casted. As long as it is slightly off and not completely off it should be fine. It shouldn't be that bad that your center to center distance is completely different. That would have to be fixed :shock:

Do you have bolts going through your drawing? The bolts do help to hold it in place and keep it a bit more concentric.

ok now I understand..

Huh, okay. I've been having trouble tensioning the belt tightly enough so that it doesn't slip when breaking, without obvious resistance during some parts of the revolution.

Bolts through my drawing?

What kind of 3D printers do you guys have? I browsed around a few of them and want to purchase one myself next year. However I've read most are kind of finicky and it's more of a hobby. Just curious what people are using to make these parts

Flashforge is pretty good. Most of us use one as they are fairly cheap and you can get started printing within 20-30 minutes.

Flashforge is about the same quality as MakerBot not much different. Don't build one from a kit unless you want to make it a hobby.

Just as an update...
the stingray has passed her 200 kms use milestone..
the 3dprinted ABS 48tooth abec11 gear has gone 100 kms and shows no wear...
:p

Nice! Sounds great.

I definitely need to create an enclosure similar to yours that way everything is completely bolted onto the board. I'll try and get something setup soon.

I'm going to work on a Boosted type setup.

2x 3S 5000mah Zippy Enclosure
Battery enclosure for (2) 3S 5000mah Zippy Flightmax lipos. I'm going to try and make it so it's easy to rip apart and swap packs. I like to drop my board so batteries will be located at the bottom of the deck. Drop won't affect much. Will use hobbyking blue velcro to hold most of the weight of the packs and/or just have a very durable enclosure w/ padding. Enclosure will be slightly waterproof.

Electronics Enclosure
Will have a separate enclosure for ESC, Power Switch, Receiver.

I'll just sleeve the wires and they'll be underneath the board.

I'll post it all on Thingiverse once I'm done.

Voodoo, Beto and I all have FlashForge printers. They are great out of the box printers. However, the market is fairly big so you can find quite a bit out there that are great quality.

I recommend on deciding if you want an out of the box solution and/or a DIY Kit option. The latter being an entirely new hobby. :mrgreen:

flashforge rocks! defnnitly recomend it

Just a note: my Flashforge extruder doesn't really agree with flexible filaments. The filament path isn't constrained well enough, and the filament buckles in between the drive gear and the actual hot end.

I think there are printable extruders on Thingiverse that'd let you print with the flexible stuff. Haven't bothered to try them.

yes, many people recommend to use the proprietary thread, it's where you get best results with not a lot of settings. The zortrax has its proprietary ABS filament, results are pretty awesome; but well it's 2000USD !

The way i see it there are two options around this...
http://www.makergeeks.com/popofl3dprfi.html
this might not quite be ninjitzu filament but it definitly Karates a bit...
Flexible enough to bend and can be extruded... quite pricey but hey we are all rich here... :shock:

the other alternative is a thingyverse gear that confines the filament till it reaches the gears (or is it after it passes the gears).. cant remember off the top of my head..but i will look for it.

Being in Panama getting the filament is quite costly at around $40 ish per kilo shipped to miami plus another $8-12 shipping... So a pink hello kitty stamp for my princess costs me 75 bucks and 2 weeks wait cause i gotta buy the whole spool... so I will be getting these beauties next Jan...
http://www.extrusionbot.com/product/the-eb2/
http://www.extrusionbot.com/product/the-cruncher/
http://www.extrusionbot.com/product/colorants-2-oz-bag/
It Allows me to extrude my own extrusion grade prime quality abs filament (I got 100kgs of A grade extrusion ABS from my regular polymer provider as samples) and can color in one of 12 available pigments... I have 100 kgs of ABS and the way I see it I will have made back my investment on the first 15-20 spools or so... Just an idea for those of you in faraway (expensive shipping) lands.. Also it will allow me to try some cool ideas like collecting/recicling milk jugs and 3d printing in HDPE which should not be a problem assuming the melt index is low enough..
Also opens up the posibility for my wife's shop to get her own flashforge , a beanbag and trinket/jewelry/bracelet store.. www.tuspoofs.com to sell 3dprinted thingys, nametags, (wheel gears, eboard enclosures maybe) and all sorts of stuff that can be 3d printed...
ok but I ramble...
Ill look for the ninjaflex gear printing thingys...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:231310

I think this is the part that will allow you to print ninjaflex..

beto_pty said:
It Allows me to extrude my own extrusion grade prime quality abs filament (I got 100kgs of A grade extrusion ABS from my regular polymer provider as samples) and can color in one of 12 available pigments... I have 100 kgs of ABS and the way I see it I will have made back my investment on the first 15-20 spools or so... Just an idea for those of you in faraway (expensive shipping) lands.. Also it will allow me to try some cool ideas like collecting/recicling milk jugs and 3d printing in HDPE which should not be a problem assuming the melt index is low enough..

Nice beto. Are you going to get ABS pellets by the truck load and make your own filament spools for Panama?

torqueboards said:
beto_pty said:

Nice beto. Are you going to get ABS pellets by the truck load and make your own filament spools for Panama?

I buy about 60,000 lbs a month of HDPE for my rotomoulding company, and sbout 30,000 lbs for my EPS company, both from a single provider, and they carry a bunch of other products.. like injection grade ABS for instance, nylon, etc, so once or twice a year they will provide me with a couple hundred lbs of samples for trials or just to play with.. so this year it was ABS... So if it pans out I figure we could sell pigmented ABS rolls for under 29.99 at my wife's shop... also get some cheap DIY kits (maybe lower cost flashforges actually)... or equivalent.. 3d printing is still a black art here.. it would be cool to help change that.

Back