Winterized

Snow Beast
Got Snow Beast pumped up for Winter
Had to clean battery contacts! Sanded, then added electrical conductive grease.
Cleaned and lubed all bearings(wheel bearing grease) and cables (candle wax}, lost my Finish Line "wet" chain lube so cleaned with WD40 then lubed with 10w-30 motor oil and small "flux" paintbrush (30¢ at local hardware) - I drizzle a small amount of oil on chain, then spread by applying brush to chain and turn pedals till well coated.
Inspected and adjusted up brakes.

Took for a test run with re-re-recycled 33.3V 31.2Ah battery (12Ah usable at regulated 3.70-4.02V voltage window)
Warm battery and 70ºF temperature gave great torque but tested at 34ºF w/cold battery and found performance to be pitiful!
I believe that the controllers LVC of ~31V is causing drastic amp restriction rather than a direct disconnect.
So, I will be replacing the 36V scooter controller with the 500w 24V 25A controller I found with 24V-36V compatibility.
See also - Batteries vs Cold

Replaced center rows of screws in homemade studded tire.
Building "new" 33.3V 31.1Ah battery.
Still toying with extending mud flaps ...

Snow dropping right now so might get a test drive today ...
Gotta wait for ice or snow on street ... or studs will wear too quick!
I keep a mountain tire on spare wheel for quick swaps.

Consolidated pics of my homemade studded tire history-progression ...

Homemade Studded Tire Round-up

Please remember though ... studded tires are not a cure for ice and snow.
They just help give you a fighting chance!

Culminating in The HEDGE HOG ®

file.php

In upstate - western NY out 50 miles south of Buffalo and only got a couple inches of snow.
Parts near Buffalo got 60"+!

Got my Snow Beast ready, just in case ...

Oh! ... Picked up a snowmobile helmet over the Summer at a yard sale.
Has 3 separate adjustable vents and a dual layered windshield with a heating element between the 2 layers.
Connection should be 12V, but will try to confirm before I try it.
Since I will power the helmet, will likely add a flashing tail light and possibly a headlight?

Blue color matches my Snow Beast.

DrkAngel said:
Cold Ears!

Solved 2 problems!
Cold ears and The annoying sound of wind in my ears!
At 20 mph +, wind is distracting enough to drown out the sound of birds and rustling leaves.

A knit cap helps with wind noise but doesn't keep the cold off of, or out of, my ears.
Partial solution was a felt lined knit cap I found at local "Dollar Store".

Better!
$_12.JPG

Fleece earmuff

Several variations available:
Basic Fleece allows good sound and warmth without the annoying wind sound.
Fuzzy gives extra warmth and comfort.
Some have a vinyl exterior for best wind protection and warmth, but sacrifices hearing.

Recommend use in conjunction with hat for cold weather, but I will likely use the lightweight version for better hearing, less wind noise, year round.
Yeah I got a few pairs of these off ebay as well for a $1 each, great value.
I been dreaming for a long time / experimenting with different helmets (like riding with my snowboard helmet) but these basic ear muffs and a regular bike helmet crush all!

DrkAngel said:
Got my Snow Beast ready, just in case ...

Oh! ... Picked up a snowmobile helmet over the Summer at a yard sale.
Has 3 separate adjustable vents and a dual layered windshield with a heating element between the 2 layers.
Connection should be 12V, but will try to confirm before I try it.
Since I will power the helmet, will likely add a flashing tail light and possibly a headlight?

Blue color matches my Snow Beast.
Snowmobile helmet is an HJC with $200 retail price!
Not bad for $8 !!!

Windscreen heater is 12V.
Cigarette lighter adapter option, so, 12V - 13.8V+ capable.

Oh Crap!

I have a storefront with concrete "porch" and ramp.
Rode up the ramp and hit the brakes to stop.
Front tire hit the rubber door mat .. usually it sticks to the concrete nicely, but when cold, apparently, it slides easily!
Only took a second, maybe 2, but seemed an eternity of panic as I tried to figure what was happening.

Usually during Winter weather I lower seat till feet can ski, but roads were clear and took my pedal eBike with seat raised to tip toe height.
Survived, but had to do some tip toeing that a ballerina might be proud of ...

So, stay alert for changing conditions.

Cold Face
Possibly my worst complaint is a cold face.

I have tried Goggles, ski masks, Balaclavas, hoods and all suffered various degrees of problems.
After eliminating fabrics that let the wind cut through I began working on the problems of condensation and fogging up.

Maybe it is just my oversized mutibusted nose, but anything that covers my nose fogs up my goggles.
Finally resorted to a felt "skirt" on the bottom of my goggles that extends to the tip of my nose and lower, below my cheekbones on each side.
Then I raise a Balaclava over the skirt but below my nose.
This allows a degree of recirculated mouth breathing (partially pre-warmed inhales) and occasional fog free nasal exhales (warms nose).

A Balaclava is a felt tube with elastic on top and bottom.
It is designed to surround:
low neck
high neck
chin
mouth or over nose
And yes, it is breathable, can be a rebreather for partially warmed air, or pulled tight to mouth for fresh air - without condensation accumulation.

But I also picked up a snowmobile helmet at a yard sale this Summer with a heating element in the visor ... will try if it gets down in the teens - ºF.

Forced to commute in the worst weather?
Nice, cheap, inexpensive, anti-stylish alternative.

US Military ECW (Extreme Cold Weather) Mask
file.php

$5.99 delivered

Attachments

• ECWmask.JPG
    ECWmask.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 3,547
Cold Feet!
After trying many types of insulated shoes, boots etc. I finally hit upon a simple thin add-in insulation solution that works better than anything else.
The sheets of closed cell foam that often comes in electronic components packaging. Less than ⅛" thick but works much better than thicker "normal" foam inserts

Place foot on sheet
cut about 2"+ in front of toes and 1" around rest of foot
fold foam back over toes, fold up sides, slice foam at small and large toes
slice similarly near both sides of heel
insert in shoe or boot
test for fit with thin socks
trim any bunching on corners?

Optionally you can tape into desired shape ... on foot before inserting in shoe?

Caution: might provoke stinky feet. Use foot powder?

DrkAngel said:
Forced to commute in the worst weather?
Nice, cheap, inexpensive, anti-stylish alternative.

US Military ECW (Extreme Cold Weather) Mask
file.php

$5.99 delivered
I got one of those and tested it out during our sub zero temperatures yesterday. It kept my face warm, but the foam in the bib was toast and leaked out all over my clothes.

DrkAngel said:
Cold Feet!
After trying many types of insulated shoes, boots etc. I finally hit upon a simple thin add-in insulation solution that works better than anything else.
The sheets of closed cell foam that often comes in electronic components packaging. Less than ⅛" thick but works much better than thicker "normal" foam inserts

Place foot on sheet
cut about 2"+ in front of toes and 1" around rest of foot
fold foam back over toes, fold up sides, slice foam at small and large toes
slice similarly near both sides of heel
insert in shoe or boot
test for fit with thin socks
trim any bunching on corners?

Optionally you can tape into desired shape ... on foot before inserting in shoe?

Caution: might provoke stinky feet. Use foot powder?
Closed cell will pool moisture. Wicking wool is best.

Was a bit too late getting into my Winter mindset!

1. Made the mistake of forgetting my glasses and hit high winds assaulting my eyeballs with stinging snowflakes.

2. Clear sunny day, in parking lot with recently coated blacktop, some snow piled on fringes.
Riding my Summer bike and didn't notice some snow had melted and frozen onto blacktop (black ice).
Turned, but front tire slid out, silently, straight.
  • Don't recognize-remember how, over the next partial second:
  • Scraped and bruised both ankles, on inside
  • Twisted and bruised right knee
  • Bruised right outer thigh
  • Bruised Left hip
  • Bruised and sprained right wrist and elbow
  • Buggered Left wrist and elbow
Lots of aches and pains ... because I forgot to lower seat to defensive mode.
During hazardous conditions I typically lower seat, allowing flat footed surface contact for skiing mode.
Likely, could have quickly lowered feet and remained upright! ... avoiding any injury?

Ski position works. Keep feet off the pedals!

I've had some bad heavy rain and high winds, and some ice (North East England) but not too bad yet- luckily I've managed to avoid needing to go out in it but it's gonna come .......

DrkAngel said:
Was a bit too late getting into my Winter mindset!

1. Made the mistake of forgetting my glasses and hit high winds assaulting my eyeballs with stinging snowflakes.

2. Clear sunny day, in parking lot with recently coated blacktop, some snow piled on fringes.
Riding my Summer bike and didn't notice some snow had melted and frozen onto blacktop (black ice).
Turned, but front tire slid out, silently, straight.
  • Don't recognize-remember how, over the next partial second:
  • Scraped and bruised both ankles, on inside
  • Twisted and bruised right knee
  • Bruised right outer thigh
  • Bruised Left hip
  • Bruised and sprained right wrist and elbow
  • Buggered Left wrist and elbow
Lots of aches and pains ... because I forgot to lower seat to defensive mode.
During hazardous conditions I typically lower seat, allowing flat footed surface contact for skiing mode.
Likely, could have quickly lowered feet and remained upright! ... avoiding any injury?

Sorry to hear man. Hope all is better. You should post pics :)

Have a couple questions for you.

Have you tried the heated jackets? They say if you warm the core, your extremities are not as cold.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PSJ120L-102-12-volt-Lithium-Ion-Battery/dp/B00MXZI6SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480365721&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+heated+jackets

Balaclava with nose hole (trying to see if this fixes foggy glasses with hole for nose).
https://www.amazon.com/Seirus-Innovation-2885-Ultra-Clava/dp/B0018BL2HA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480365767&sr=8-1&keywords=seirus+balaclava

Do anti-fog glasses not fog? Example of glasses below.
https://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Nemesis-3020121-Safety-Glasses/dp/B002JG55BW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1480365840&sr=8-13&keywords=anti+fog+sunglasses&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

Haven't tried heated jacket.
Resorted to newspaper across chest when weather turned worse and got stuck in light jacket.

Balaclava helps, but proper (usually expensive) ski goggles + felt skirt over nose does the trick!

"Anti-fog" kinda works ... somewhat ... same with anti-fog spray.
Heated helmet visor works!

Getting my Snow Beast ready.
An eZip with studded tires, upgraded with 37V for extra umph through the snow. (23mph with summer tires)
37V Homemade recycled Lithium packs all worn out.

So, decided to convert for my 33.3V batteries.
Have 33.3V 43.2Ah LiPo in insulated 6pack cooler and 33.3V 31.2Ah recycled 18650 LiCo in oem eZip battery pack.

Problem is ...
When it gets cold, 33.3V battery sags to 36V controllers 31V LVC way too soon!
So ... will replace 36V controller with one of the cheap 24-36V+ capable controllers I found.
Of course, without a reasonable LVC, I will monitor battery voltage with a handlebar mounted volt meter.

See - Batteries vs Cold

Gooo ... Snow Beast!

Showing some wear and tear after 8 Winters of salted slushy streets.
Rust abounds ...
Metal painted frame still perfect but all bare steel and some chromed components have acquired a "healthy" growth of rust.
Guess I forgot to switch to "hot wax" at the car wash at the end of my Spring cleaning?

Cleaned up the rusty chain. Loosened with WD40, then lubed with 10w-30 synthetic blend.
Broke derailleur cable and buggered 1 segment of cable housing, replaced.
Cable adjustment at derailleur broke off, can make due without.
Tried freeing up the derailleur itself but still seems awfully stiff, due for replacement I guess.
Broke shifter ... fixed with top quality duct tape.

Actually ran it manually 1st, without motor power, for a couple miles, to wear in components.
Then strapped on 33.3V 43.2Ah 6 packer and took a lovely jaunt.
Streets are reasonably clear.
Bare road lets me hear the clicking rumble as the studs hit the pavement.
1/2" of snow seems ideal for my studded tires.
2-3" deeper snow, from edges of plows, pushes its limits.

Gooo ... Snow Beast!

Most useful, lately, seems to be my small can of WD40.
Gotta free up levers, cables etc. and helps prevent snow-slush-ice buildup.

I have had great success preventing buildup on frame using cheap silicone spray or cooking spray. (Might smell like butter on sunny day)
Worked great on my snow shovel so tried on bike frame ...

Avoid getting spray on wheels!!!

PS
Note: "Stainless" shifter cable, from China, got rusty quickly!

Furniture polish is another useful "weather" coating for bicycle frames/components.

Please remember though ... studded tires are not a cure for ice and snow.
They just give you a fighting chance!

Mounted up a Schwalbe Ice Spiker on the front and Kenda Klondike on the back - carbide studded tires.
Got a little too aggressive on a roundabout and front tire slid out ...
Not sure if too much pressure in front tire or not enough weight up front, ice just didn't hold the studs ... ?
Slush on top of ice! ... possibly melting ice was soft and studs just tore through it?

Gotta learn to tuck my elbow in, instead of landing on it.
2nd fall this Winter, once on left side, once on right.
(limping on both legs isn't technically limping, reputedly, just makes me look severely constipated.)

drew12345 said:
I really hate falling on ice and wet bridges because it happens so fast you don't have time to react.
1. Wet pressure treated lumber can be nearly as treacherous as ice.
2. Freshly coated-sealed blacktop in hot Summer, after a rain, ranks right up there also!
3. Yes ... wet leaves too
4. Don't know how I forgot - wet grass clippings in road!

Added above:
3. Wet leaves
and
4. Wet grass clippings!

Back