Oldster turns standup n00b

I'd hoped to defer to others for a battery offering, but noone has chirped, so. . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36v-15ah-LiFePO4-Battery-5A-Charger-BMS-Electric-Bicycles-Rechargeable-Powerful-/131354629643?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item1e9558960b

Since I'm telling you to go 36v, there's a 36v battery. If there's anything useable to those three scooters, the batteries that come with might be okay as you use one during the retrofitting of the others, but I don't know that there'd be any serious remaining range to them. You might wire up three sets of two to get 24v to get a few miles from the house and back. Maybe you'll get lucky and there'll be a set that would last awhile, but don't hold your breath. If you mix one battery from one scooter with one from another, that seems to destroy them quickly, so try to keep them in original sets. If they're the OEM they're 10a.

The 350w Currie once took me 11 miles to recover my car, but the batteries were relatively new and I'm good at gliding. You run a 36v controller you'll go faster, for the moment you might anticipate on this pack to get you over 10 miles roundtrip at close to 20mph. Only one way to find out.

Dauntless said:
I'd hoped to defer to others for a battery offering, but noone has chirped, so. . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36v-15ah-LiFePO4-Battery-5A-Charger-BMS-Electric-Bicycles-Rechargeable-Powerful-/131354629643?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item1e9558960b

Since I'm telling you to go 36v, there's a 36v battery. If there's anything useable to those three scooters, the batteries that come with might be okay as you use one during the retrofitting of the others, but I don't know that there'd be any serious remaining range to them. You might wire up three sets of two to get 24v to get a few miles from the house and back. Maybe you'll get lucky and there'll be a set that would last awhile, but don't hold your breath. If you mix one battery from one scooter with one from another, that seems to destroy them quickly, so try to keep them in original sets. If they're the OEM they're 10a.

The 350w Currie once took me 11 miles to recover my car, but the batteries were relatively new and I'm good at gliding. You run a 36v controller you'll go faster, for the moment you might anticipate on this pack to get you over 10 miles roundtrip at close to 20mph. Only one way to find out.

Thanks!!!! Batteries are shot but all three are, or appear to be in excellent condition. No outward signs of abuse. There are some misc easily replaced bolts missing on the covers and motor guard but otherwise I just got three scooters for a few emails. I'm really amazed. I'm hoping that the S500 controller will take my 36V batteries. The seat post on the s500 has a mount for a water bottle and my batteries appear to fit. I'll do a fitting this week. So if the posts I've read are correct I may be plug and play for the 500. The 350's will need batteries. I'd like to customize one to use as a stand up with a larger deck and taller handlebars. Even the tires are in decent shape and holding air!!!

This is what I have available for the S500 2-36V Frame Mounted Packs 13.8Ah(10S 5P, 29E)& 11Ah (10S 5P, 22P)
Several sites indicate the controller MAY run at 36V. I'm likely going to buy a cheap set of OEM SLA batteries. I found a set for $36 delivered I plan of fixing at least one for the neighbor kids and customizing one for me.
Any suggestions on a new controller and or motor for the custom? This is all new so I'm struggling but learning and having fun. I'm paying Christofer to guide me into the world of HK Lipo for one. I will eventually need to learn those ropes and figured this would be a good platform to learn those concepts on. Any suggestions from ES members greatly appreciated. Not to be whiner but having had strokes means I get a little befuddled sometimes. The patience of any number of members here has been fantastic. Kepler, Teslanv, Jbrigman and more have been so helpful. And I owe you one for your time as well. I really appreciate it!

Once upon a time, I laced an old Wilderness Energy brushed hub motor into a 16" wheel for a Diggler scooter. The radial lacing required ridiculously short (like 65mm) spokes, which I got from Grin Tech as I recall. But it was a solid build. There are lots of smaller diameter hub motors than that these days.

Seriously? Never thought of that... One set of wheels are spoked... But a hub motor for a 12" wheel? I saw a Bafang "scooter wheels and motor, maybe I need to go back an see it that is a fit. In the meantime, does any motor come to mind? But I was thinking along the lines of replacement motor and belt/chain but I guess DD makes more sense? For now I'm anxious to have something up and running.

There are a number of hub motors built into 12 inch wheels, if that's what you're after. Golden Motor makes one.

A hub motor would have to be really tiny in diameter to be spoked to a 12 inch rim, notwithstanding the fact that there are no 36 hole rims in that size. For 12", you want a mag wheel.

12" hub motors seem to be mostly 250w. There's the occasional 350w claim, even 1,000w, but there's always a separate mention of 300 watt power. Leafbike does offer a 2,000w motorcycle wheel, but that seems a bit much if it's for real.

The Currie site no longer offers the 1,000w replacement motor, but you can get it elsewhere: http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/36vo10mowsps.html Or the whole thing: http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/36vo10mowsps.html Haven't swapped those motors around, but they're supposed to be one size fits all. Getting to be a pricey job for a little Currie, eh?

At that point you might consider using a 350w for the upgrade, giving the 500w in stock form to the neighborhood kid.

Hub motor is out. Not a good fit. I think there may be other motors that will work. And other controllers. That said several posters claim the controller can/has/may/will (take your pick) handle 36v. Well soon see. More poking around needs to be done. Someone has done more with these, I just need to find the upgraders. I'm thinking that there may be other motors that will work other than those easily found. Looking for motor specs and on developing better questions. That's where it sits today. Lots of answers but I'm still learning to gain enough knowledge to ask the right questions.

Thanks Daunless you've been a great help.

What about this battery?

http://www.bioennopower.com/collections/24v-series-lifepo4-lithium-iron-phosphate-batteries/products/24v-10ah-lfp-battery-black-w-pvc-pack

http://www.bioennopower.com/products/36v-10ah-lfp-battery-black-w-pvc-pack

Since I'm pushing 36v, let's try this one. A bit pricier, lower power. Same chemistry. Up to you.

Dauntless said:
http://www.bioennopower.com/products/36v-10ah-lfp-battery-black-w-pvc-pack

Since I'm pushing 36v, let's try this one. A bit pricier, lower power. Same chemistry. Up to you.
Are you dautless on the scooter forum talking about LA and hills and a 650?
I have 2 36v batteries. Just thinking about leaving well enough alone. If the controller doesn't handle 36v i'm in another $60 for a new contoller and $130 for a motor. I still need batteries for one or two 350w. I guess i really need to get with Christofer and think about lipo. To get running and maybe just drop $40 on an SLA to see what is actually working. No hills, i want to get one working for the neighbor kids and think about hotrodding one for myself. Remember I'm an old fart whose ebikes tickle at 20mph and the one the Mrs uses is limited to 15mph and she thrilled. I keep fussing about a cheap way to use 36v because I have two and it's primarily me that uses them. I switch them back and forth to keep them in use. I carry one as a back up for longer rides in good weather. Rifgt now it's winter in MN so the rides are short and I carry the battery in when shopping and riding on 20F days.

How about an adapter plate for a brushless rc motor option? Now what are my options for motors?

Can I do things like this... And find a controller to make it all work?

http://www.radicalrc.com/item/Brushless-Motor-Adapter-Plate-for-Schwinn-Currie-Scooters-104239
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18129__Turnigy_Aerodrome_SK3_6374_192kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 2,095
tomjasz said:
Are you dautless on the scooter forum talking about LA and hills and a 650?

I guess you mean here on ES, can't think of what post you might mean. I got my 350w Currie so that I could park miles away in L.A., a common occurrance, but around Hollywood, North Hollywood, etc. it's hilly with narrow roads and traffic; this thing just wasn't doing me a lot of good. I do live some 30 miles from those neighborhoods in Orange County, but my own neighborhood is hilly and the 350w can't get me home. I used to have a 650w that was better but not good enough.

Just so you know, I have 2-750w 24v that I need to make time for. One is the direct drive rear and I want to try it with both the stock controller at 36v and with the Currie 36v, (1000w) just to see how it does. The 350w wasn't impressed with 36v feeding it, even when I did the shunt mod with some extra on the wire loop inside the controller that is supposed to carry some extra juice. The problem might have been that adding 10% to that weak little thing didn't mean much. When I get the 36v controller I'll try it out there, too. I might also yank the controller off my 650w Razor dirtbike. A kid put up a YouTube video where he put an adapter and a 7.4 volt RC battery on hanging from the side with the stock 36v batteries and it's faster. But there's no space for more fullsize batteries to go 48v proper.

The other 750w is a chain drive; I want to tear it apart as a donor and make a trail bike out of a beach cruiser. So would it do better with that Currie 36v, or with a YK43B? http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-36V-500W-48V-60V-1000W-Motor-Brush-Controller-for-E-Bike-Bicycle-Scooter-/280912828366?hash=item4167b597ce&vxp=mtr That one might overwhelm any motor you have, but the 500w will be a bit sterner than the 350w.

I know people put the RC motors on those scooters, but that's an experiment in itself for a better platform than no suspension and little braking will be. A controller to run it will cost hundreds anyway.

OK not getting to far except I have found a controller and that the currie motors do take some overvolting. Reminds me of my overlocking AMD computer days. Burn a few run a few.
Found this controller 24V-36V 500W 48V-60V 1000W Motor Brush Controller for E-Bike Bicycle Scooter http://www.ebay.com/itm/280912828366
and a 36 Volt Controller (Model: YK42-3) I also sourced a currie motor adapter and it looks like I'm on my merry way to utilizing my 36V batteries.

Also found a fairly reasonable motor that is able to overvolt my1020 in a number of voltages. Lower torque than currie but we'll soon see just what a24V currie motor can take <insert sick giggle> It seems easier to find used whole scooters and they're cheaper than buying parts. The S350 has a busted seat post and has the least use. It runs like a champ. I'll likely move the motor and gear over to the improved s350 frame and build that one out for the kids and move the 500W and new controller to the busted seatpost model to turn into my standup beast. Next to find a front brake. I can't believe these things don't have front brakes FFS 80% of the braking on two wheels come from the front. Is this why they lost popularity. Bad at stopping?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=65472#p984044 now to figure out a battery config. Damn hard time getting this all sorted the help comes slow....not sure how to squeeze more info out. It seems many learned the hard way and expect everyone else to...nog a bitch, just very different from my years on the Vespa forum. But it looks like I can back seat the battery project and get up and crazy with my 36V existing batteries for less money than getting 24V lip going.

I keep running into old Dauntless posts on several scooter and EV forums...

modifiedelectricscooters.com has some great leads. So regardless of the participation I'm going to continue to post the adventure and maybe someone will someday have the same enthusiasm and stumble on the thread and get the leads I'm struggling to find. Struggling in a fun sense...I've learned a bunch tonight and so far the Mrs hasn't flipped on the hours of searching while she watches the b00b tube.

Attachments

• image_13521.jpg
    image_13521.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,987
  • image_62369.jpg
    image_62369.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,987
Same controller I posted. Just the thing to try out. You gotta go ahead and buy one.

May or may not be me at other forums, mostly don't like attitudes on one, don't see much going on at another, etc. Don't even remember all of them. I'm probably not the only one out there as Dauntless. (Though I'm probably the only one who got the nickname from his Father.)

Dauntless said:
Same controller I posted. Just the thing to try out. You gotta go ahead and buy one.

May or may not be me at other forums, mostly don't like attitudes on one, don't see much going on at another, etc. Don't even remember all of them. I'm probably not the only one out there as Dauntless. (Though I'm probably the only one who got the nickname from his Father.)
Any idea how it's settings are changed? I do have one fried controller on the S500, which is the scoot I want to customize. It looks like the YK43B at TNC but the photo is blurred. Intentionally I assume.

Ordered...we'll see...thanks...

I still want to find an outrunner to try...

Well 4 years later the scooters were cleaned up and running. Custom 18650 24v packs made the neighbor kids happy. It was a great learning experience.

My Sidewalker should be here for next weekend. Was gonna use my CA2 but now it has a job with the Grin battery,
Grinspector. 48v 10t MAC. My big 2wd adventure was way more bike than I want and need. Short ride and a tear down within hours. BUT it would have been a great hunting power system.
Like Ykick, front motor on the rear. Goofy, dorky, and as excited as I was over my first eBike. Might polish my Birkenstock shoes for the inaugural scoot across town.

I've done one of these...or rather it's the same size as those Schwinn scooters. Mine is based on the Currie frame which I liked a bit more. Mine runs on 66 volts, tops out at 45mph and runs on 4kw.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83830

Next model to convert this summer. MAC 10T.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 2.12.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 2.12.43 PM.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,068
Back