links in notification mails not shown anymore?

pucksterpete said:
Things are different today, no more links in the emails, I'm going to have to guess that this is a forum setting problem, bummer!
No, as discussed above, it is almost certainly a Google problem. They have bunches of servers so some of them may have the problem while others don't, at any one time, depending on what they happen to be changing within their software at any moment.

I like Amberwolf's explanation. Its fixed for me again. :roll:

[EDIT] Maybe its the N ES A setting up dummy repeater servers. 8)

amberwolf said:
pucksterpete said:
Things are different today, no more links in the emails, I'm going to have to guess that this is a forum setting problem, bummer!
No, as discussed above, it is almost certainly a Google problem. They have bunches of servers so some of them may have the problem while others don't, at any one time, depending on what they happen to be changing within their software at any moment.

If its a google problem, then why would it only affect emails sent from endless sphere and not others?

Pete

pucksterpete said:
If its a google problem, then why would it only affect emails sent from endless sphere and not others?
It does, just not evenly. Could have to do with whether or not the email i9tself is already in HTML and already linkified, or wehther it is sent in plain text expecting yoru email client or browser to linkify it (which will still happen correctly if yours is capable of doign so and enabled for that), or it could have to do with what google servers are having hte polbme and whether the email passes thru one of those at the time--idifferent emails may well go thru different server chains depenidng on their physical origin location vs destination location).

I don't actually *know* that it is a google problem, but based on the evidence presented so far it is the one that makes the most sense, since AFAICT all of the reports of the problme are people using gmail to receive the notifications, and people using gmails webmail to view them.

As far as I can determine without actually seeing the ES server's sources, the actual emails sent do not contain an actual html URL anyway, only a plain text link, which has to be linkified by your client reader under normal circuimstances

Gmail's servers nrmally take any URL in a plain text email and linkify it with a google prefix so it first goes to google's servers and then redirects you to the URL in question, presumably to track your web usage. When this problem occurs there is no linkification and no redirection.

If anyone cares to verify they could setup a non google account and change their ES email to that, and continue to monitor the notification emails for linkification of URLs (assuming that that email provider does any likification, which they may not).

Or simply use a local client, like Thunderbird that I use here, and set it to linkify URLs if it doesn't already do that by default (mine does; not sure if that can even be turned off). Then thre is always linkification, and there is never redirection, either (and presumably web usage is thus *slightly* more private as only the ISP would then be logging usage, instead of also having google do it via teh redirects).

My links haven't been working for the last month or so either. Don't have a clue of how to fix it.. Surprised to find this thread! But no solution yet.. :?

It's not happening now, but occasionally (over the last.. year?) my browser (chrome) will say "Endless-sphere.com isn't safe", or "security certificate is bad". Then I have to either "proceed anway" or (lately) click 'advanced' then "continue to endless-sphere.com".

[generic image]
Cibm_certificate_chrome.png

Maybe this is related to the email link problem?

Metallover said:
My links haven't been working for the last month or so either. Don't have a clue of how to fix it.. Surprised to find this thread! But no solution yet.. :?

It's not happening now, but occasionally (over the last.. year?) my browser (chrome) will say "Endless-sphere.com isn't safe", or "security certificate is bad". Then I have to either "proceed anway" or (lately) click 'advanced' then "continue to endless-sphere.com".

[generic image]
Cibm_certificate_chrome.png

Maybe this is related to the email link problem?

Same here, ever so often I get the same error message, I usually just proceed., links still not working in gmail :(

Got the same error you got while clicking the link in my email for your reply to this thread, but links work now, for how long though!!!

Back