New scooter build PATY-neta

beto_pty

1 kW
Currently have 5 boards (4 are eboards) that i love.. the longboard, the learner, the stealthy, the push slayer and the beast.. they are all special and fit their design to the T. So I try to get the wifey to ride one of them just so we can go out together.. she (logically and wisely) refuses over and over.
She cant do it, she does not have the balance, she would hurt herself, she will look stupid, depending on the day i get a different answer... so being the dumass that I am it takes me a whole year to come up with a backup plan...
She needs a scooter!!The PATY-neta (patineta is scooter in Spanish except Paty is my daughter's name) har har har
It of course started with a carefully detailed plan and bill of parts purchase sheet.. very profesional.. every detail carefully laid out...
View attachment 11
After rumagging in my box of parts i picked out the following... a hk150 esc, 2 2600 6s batts, ntm5060... i ordered some gears from sdp/si a #25 chain and overnighted them (that is 2-3 weeks in my world) went to the local department stores and halfheartedly looked for an adult scooter, imagine my delight when i found it... a ladie`s scooter that would hold 220 lbs.. 12 inch urethane tires and quite light to boot... Wasnt the sturdiest thing ever but it had potential..
Just about then papertripping came up with this half assed idea of making a friction drive that would of course never work, and against all common sense (as well as my recomendations and experience he makes it work.... Two weeks later he posts a video of him running, no flying... awesomely on his board...at his weight (130 lbs) the system worked flawlessly... Since my wife weighs less than he does, and I was embracing my newly learned humility.. the whole design changed to a friction drive. Thanks PaperT!!!!

This made the recently arrived sdp/si gear superfluous for the initial design, they are cool as a backup or if the drive doesnt last..

So I mounted my outrunner, mounted my esc, batts in the enclosure... how the hello do i accelerate this thing.. other than grow a third hand?
Had prevously Looked for a thumb throttle for a posible drift trike proyect, but it looked sort of daunting.. I-d even gotten the servo and the thumb throttle a while back ... had to rumage quite a bit but finally found it. so I manned up and pulled out my soldering iron an 10 minutes later i was done...no sweat straightforward and very easy.
used
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8296__Turnigy_Servo_Tester.html
and a 5k thumb throttle I got on ebay.. 3 leads..was about 16 bucks I believe..couldnt find it anymore but it could have been an identical model to this...
http://www.electricscooterparts.com/throttlesstandard.html
ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 13 14.43.jpg
Opened up the servo found the potentiometer output leg...
took the blackredwhite Rx plug from the esc and connected it to the output on the servo tester...connected black and red to gnd and 5v in the thumb throttle , and welded the white to the output pot legon the servo tester potentiometer.. 10 minutes tops.. now when I use the thumb throttle or servo tester pot the esc rolls. The instructions require you to take out the pot for max speed, however i was unsure of what i was doing so i left the pot on.. and a fortunate side effect is that it halves the max speed the ESC sees.. so the wifey cant do more than 20-21 kph as opposed to a probable 40-45 on a full throttle range.

Made a stainless enclosure and screwed everything together... took maybe a day.. including the super simple motor mount...
ScreenHunter_15 Dec. 13 15.05.jpg
ScreenHunter_14 Dec. 13 15.05.jpg
ScreenHunter_13 Dec. 13 15.05.jpg
ScreenHunter_12 Dec. 13 15.05.jpg

Assembled the whole thing... and tadaaaa
ScreenHunter_03 Dec. 13 14.51.jpgScreenHunter_04 Dec. 13 14.51.jpgScreenHunter_07 Dec. 13 14.52.jpgScreenHunter_08 Dec. 13 14.52.jpgScreenHunter_10 Dec. 13 14.52.jpg

The scooter retains its awesome foldable properties.. and is not heavy at all.. I'll weigh it tonight but it feels ligther than my boards.. probably the small 5.2 ah 6s capacity... as well as the alum structure...

So I got the wifey to try it and she loved it.... all her friends went wild when they saw the vid...

[youtube]UecUtU7D2Z0[/youtube]

She is going 20 kph and the kids in the background are the concerned 3 and 6 year olds...
Interestingly .. the next sunday I get up at 6 to go to the bike path and my 6 year old daughter asks if she can ride it ... so we went out.. and she rode it for about 8 kms... she had a blast and fell only once... awesome proyect.

[youtube]MTgCqVXBpeM[/youtube]

Will give the scooter another 50 kms or so before i decide if i like it.. and if i do ill paint it bright pink... and get it all nice and professional-like... :D

Nice one! I sure would have been among the nay sayers of friction drive, especially on urethane wheels, but nice to see it works! I imagine chain drive would have been quite a bit more complicated or at least require lots more of modification. Wish I had more than 4s for my dumpster scooter, should probably give it to my girl when I use my board, too :)

I'm doing the same thing right now for my son. I am using a board though and bought a T-handle and a twist throttle. Wondering how to wire up the throttle to the esc though.
Wires are Red,Green and black. Did yours work right when you plugged it in or did you need something else?

-Edit-
In reading your thread more carefully I guess I need the servo master thing? I'll go buy one tomorrow and see if I can get this thing running.

Hi psyco
Ill post a diagram of what i connected to what. ..
It sounded a bit complicated till i tried it and it turned out to be pretty simple

The scooter rocks and allows me to go out with the wifey or my daughter and still ride my motorized board... with the kickscooter i had to bring my kick board. ..or it would be boring for her. ..

The friction drive is very weight sensitive. ..works ideally under 100 lbs.. Ok at around 130 ish and not so well above 170 or so... with me on it the thing barely rolls.. and does so in a ve4y troubled manner. If i were to think of one for myself. .or if the wifey gains 80 lbs :shock: 8d definitely go with the chain drive. ..

Thanks Beto! I'm trying to figure the wiring right now and it doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm trying to use a twist throttle though. Do you think that matters?

Her'e a pic:
scooter.jpg

torqueboards said:
Nice handle. Where did you get that?

Dave @ Roger's Brother's Downhill

Cool...good for you :D

beto_pty said:
Cool...good for you :D

Hope he like's his $1k scooter board! :shock:

Here is the diagram... just for anyone interested..

The output of the pot is the side with only one leg... the other side has 2 legs...

This affects your top speed approximately halving it.. if you want the full top speed take out the pot and connect the sensors signal wire where the pot's single leg would go...
ScreenHunter_61 Dec. 15 10.00.jpg
Takes exactly 5 minutes to do...
When you run with the pot connected it has to go half way (at about 50% turn) for the system to work appropriately. Much under 50% and it doesnt start well, and much over 50% and it will not stop ...

By the way this is not my idea it was in another thread but i searched for it and could not find it... if anybody knows please link it, as it goes much more in depth to the servo/thum throttle part of the setup.

The pot on my servo tester had all three legs on one side. The middle leg was the one I had to weld the signal wire to. Definitely a cheap, easy solution if someone wants to hard wire a throttle to an RC ESC. Thanks Beto!

Cool..
Did you friction drive the motor or did you gear it?

Dude, this scooter is awesome. I'm having similar problems with my wife. She calls my E-MTB the "arm-breaker project". I'm hoping i can show her your video and pictures and maybe i can convince her to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Back