SEXY E-BIKES WITH MOTO WHEELS SHOWOFF THREAD

@ Rix the overall dia is 26.5"
I really like the weight saving of an mtb rim, plus i had the rim for years and had no use for it.
The tyre fits in a Giant dh comp 135mm rear end with no mods too
Darren

Its great fun, but took a good spill yesterday on a small, wet & slippery wooden bridge, banged up pretty good. :cry:

nice 2hr slow walk home, pedaling this thing is out of the question

pucksterpete said:
Its great fun, but took a good spill yesterday on a small, wet & slippery wooden bridge, banged up pretty good. :cry:

nice 2hr slow walk home, pedaling this thing is out of the question

That sucks. Yeah pedaling is an abstraction.

IIRC, there was another post awhile back by someone who also dumped it on a wooden bridge.

I think we can all relate to the walk of shame. Its not the walk so much, as the looks...

Rix said:
johnrobholmes » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:12 pm

My first front wheel from about five years ago, 10g spokes, cracked the hub flange in very short order . Only use 13g spokes or thinner with bicycle hubs!!

JR, did your hub flange crack because you drilled out the spoke holes in them? Or was it from spoke tension?

The flange was drilled, and they started cracking after jumping down a 10 set of stairs a few times. The impact wasn't absorbed by spoke stretch like it should have been.

2015-01-28.jpg

Vee Rubber vrm013 moped tires, 19" x 2.25"

Rix said:
I love the look of the post apocalyliptic machine. With that long wheel base, how does it handle?

53" Wheelbase, IIRC. As a cruiser, it handles great. Hands-free stable above 10mph up to and including 25mph. I normaly set for 20mph and make round trip to work 12 miles on 7ah of 36v a123, with pedaling cause I like to.
- Not a turn on a dime machine. - but that's not it's mission.

17x2,5 front and 17x2,75 rear Sava MC11 tires on holmes MMP rims. VOTEC V.FR 195 frame.

ltNNIg.jpg

m1ah7H.jpg

Very nice Maddin. I like your build. Got the whole super motard thing going on. With those rims on that motor, you got optimal MC advantage. The visor below your lights, is that part of a Kawasaki fender?

SkynightJohn, that's pretty impressive stability figures there. You alluded to the design wasn't for turning on a dime, which I figured out on my own previously :mrgreen: What is the intended purpose? I can see it as a cruiser, or weld a sizable rack on and it becomes a machine for moving cargo from point A to point B.

Rix, it's mission is to look good! 8)
But, I use it to commute. Streets and paths only. I love the secure feel of moped wheels/tires. I prefer the cruiser/feet forward posture (wrists and back feel better) but didn't find a good frame that fit, so I dove into making my own. Too heavy to be super-efficient or anything, but it's nice to arrive in style. I carry what I need for the work day in a backpack. A couple of Ammo can saddle bags would be a nice touch, though.

the visor below the lights was part of the helmet (the mud shield) :lol:

madin88 said:
the visor below the lights was part of the helmet (the mud shield) :lol:
A helmet visor was my next guess, I like it!

SkynightJohn, yah, some ammo can saddle bags would be awesome!

Rix said:
100volts+ said:
SkynightJohn, yah, some ammo can saddle bags would be awesome!

ammo cans +1

There you have it Skynightjohn, mount some 50BMC cal ammo can on there and you be styling.

8) OK, I'll add it to my ever growing list of things to do. I have two other frame projects in progress, too. I need to keep this one ride worthy until one of them can be ridden and the recipient of the e-parts, then I'll bring this one back to grind and weld. It's so heavy, though, since the main frame is 1.5"x0.083. The CCII frame is 0.065" tubing and noticeably lighter, even with the moped shocks. It might be more advantageous to start another from scratch, apply what I've learned, and make one even better with the rack/ammo cans planned in from the beginning.

Really like your build wingsuite, that's the nicest looking Phasor I have seen, granted I based that on the colors selected. I see you went moto with the pegs. Also nice. whats the plan for the pack? 20S lipos?

Thanks Rix. Haha I decided to not bother pretending I was going to peddle this monster. Cannot wait to get it up and running. So close! Battery wise I know they can be managed, but I just can't afford to go lipo. So i think I'm going to try to find some limn or something. Plan is to find/order something in march/April and have the build ready for summer weather.

Strong GT-S frame, 16" Pirelli's

amw6qa.jpg

My first ever experience building wheels. Turned out OK, no problems after 6000 km so far in city riding.
Very valuable and nice skill to have :)

wingsuit said:
Thanks Rix. Haha I decided to not bother pretending I was going to peddle this monster. Cannot wait to get it up and running. So close! Battery wise I know they can be managed, but I just can't afford to go lipo. So i think I'm going to try to find some limn or something. Plan is to find/order something in march/April and have the build ready for summer weather.

I understand where you are coming from, pedaling these machines is not practical under no power circumstances. However, for off road riding, pedaling assist on hill climb greatly enhances the hill climbing ability of the machine. That's the only reason my future builds will have pedals. I also understand the funds situation, this is the only limiting factor for why I don't have more fast ebikes :mrgreen: .

@LSBW, the epitome of a light weight electric supermoto.

When I started down this journey I was just looking for a commuter I could hook around on the way to work. It's kind of evolved as I've built it. Battery wise I can't justify lipo chemistry with where I store/charge it which is why I'm looking for alternate battery types that will fit in the phaser frame and still give me decent punch. The phasor frame is a little hard to fit in some of the larger pre built packs into which has made my search a little tricky. I went with the adapto mini-e so I also can't go over 98v. I was going to go with the hi power li mn 90v 13ah packs but I think they charge to over 98v so I might be stuck with their 78v

wingsuit, have you thought of building the battery by yourself or from someone who offers this?

I've thought about custom batteries, but don't trust myself to build one. I'm new enough to this electric bike business, don't think I'm quite ready for building batteries. I've enquired to a couple of the major battery builders about building one but none seemed interested. Especially as the battery would have to be custom shaped to best fit in the phasor frame.

Current best option seems to be the li-mn packs that hi-power cycles sells.

http://www.hi-powercycles.com/90v-13ah-hpc-elite-90v-13ah-li-nmc-ultra-high-performance-battery/

I say best because they are a safer chemistry (I can't currently go lipo) and they are a split pack so they are easier to fit in the phasor frame. Downside is they are pricey. Only other problem is I'd like to go with the 90v13ah but I think that charges to over 98 volts, which I've been told to stay under for the adapto mini-e (what I'm use ing) they make a 74v13ah. Just won't give quite as much zip as the 90, but should still get me to work (I've got a 26km commute (16mile))

Back