A Very Very Low Cost Electric Bike from Pakistan

Dear All;

I have been really busy lately; did some work on my bike but couldn't find time to share what I did.

It was always a big problem for me to charge the batteries in a situation when the grid kept changing its voltage continuously throughout 24 hours, varying from as high as 230 volt to as low as 160 volt. Setting a conventional transformer was such a mess. It either over heated the transformer or did not charge the batteries at all.

I have found a high current rate laptop chargers and decided to use them. Did some charging experiments lately and found that few of them in series would work for me. So I bought 4 of them. 3 of them having out put rated at 20volts @ 4500 mA While one of them output rated at 19 volts @ 4700 mA. So a total of 20+20+20+19 = 79 volt. I have fitted all them having 220 parallel connection while output voltage in series to get to 79 volt. Having 6 batteries it will charge at voltage of (79/6 = 13.16) 13.16 volt per battery. I would also keep a check for any kind of balance issues in batteries. The best would be not to discharge them below 12 volt. I am sure that having to have so much power there would be no chance that I will discharge it below 12 volts.

Please do let me know if I can do something better with it.

Sincerely Yours
Naeem

Attachments

• Resize of Laptop Chargers.jpg
    Resize of Laptop Chargers.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 4,663
13.16v per 12v battery won't really give a full charge but should be quite safe to leave on charge for a long time. Depending on your batteries and how long you charge, you should aim for closer to 13.8v or even higher. At 13.16v, you will probably get a good percentage of bulk charge so may be OK for your needs.

If you can find a 5v supply to put in series, that would get you close to 14.0v, which would probably be much better for charging.

Those switching power supplies can compensate for a very wide range of input voltage, so should solve your power quality problem.

Thanks for the nice suggestion dear fechter.

I am sorry to be away for quite a while guys. I am into giving some series of exams and studies due to which I am unable to do my electric bike work.

I had that in my mind the fact that going as high as 13.16 will not fully charge the battery but leaving the charger on for all night would put some juice in the batteries while not over charging them. But I have found that this setup is proving a lot inefficient at times when I need to do a bigger journey, come back and then go for another ride soon again. It would probably need more than 8 hours to do some benefit to the batteries.

For this reason I searched out the market and found another 24 volt, 3 amp charger so I decided to do the following combination = 20 +20 + 20 + 24 = 84. Divide that to each battery 84/6 = 14 volt per battery which is good in my case.

After finishing my exams I would give it a try and see that how much time the batteries take to fully charge.

There is one more thing I have noticed; All six batteries are developing balance issues. So I need to balance them by charging them individually and monitor them each. Two batteries are going down sooner then the others and it seems their health is not that good. May be I would need to replace them for full performance of the entire setup because even one bad battery would bring down the entire pack to the level of that bad battery. That would cost a lot cause the price is going really high with the batteries these days.

The plus point of these switching power supplies is that they are pretty lighter than my old transformer. I hope they last longer.

Coming back in a week guys. Wish you all a very happy new year and best wishes.

May Allay Bless you all.

With lots of love and kind regards.

Naeem

Just Can't Believe my eyes guys; I am on TV (Dunya News TV). Few days back I was on my way for some shopping while I met this nice gentleman from Dunya News TV who asked me for an interview and a proper time for that on any time when I am free. So today it happened and I am watching it now. It was a very detailed interview and It took about 3 hours.

Talk about it later.

Sincerely
Naeem

numberonebikeslover said:
Dear All
Many Regards
I’m sorry for being absent for so long due to my official engagements. It is a truth that the people who work with dedication are always over worked by their higher ups (Boss).

I’ve done following modifications in my creation (Pics attached):

Motor pulley is replaced by a 10 tooth gear and chain system.

I’ve designed a PWM circuit with 555 IC (I didn’t knew electronics so I had to study a lot to make that) and an array of MOSFET (IRFP 15N) which is very cheap and readily available in the local market. As for being a newbie in electronics I had to do so many experiments and failed, but every failure gave me new strength to start over again and again and again, some time I surprise my self too.

The rare suspension is modified and embedded in between the gears so that it may look good.

There is a new concept I’m working on, which I took from the 3 phase alternator system of a wind turbine on the internet. I’m trying out the same in my front wheel. For this purpose I’ve collected as many hard drives as I can to obtain the most powerful neo magnets (the most powerful magnets I’ve ever known). The thing is still in pipe line. My theory is that while I’m paddling I’ll also be helping the bike to run and produce some of its electrical energy back into the batteries. Secondly there are many times when I hold the brakes slightly which cuts of the power to the motor but the bike goes on smoothly, specially when I’m intending to stop. This will also do the same (put back the inertial energy). Thirdly, there are a lot of downhill areas on my way back home. So it will be a fruitful effort I guess. Your feedback will be highly appreciated in this regard.

I’m also not satisfied from the front suspension of the bike. I’m also intending to improve the same that is on the bike right now, as this is the only suspension available in the poor market here.

My friends I’m so much moved by the offers you make to me for any products that I need to be shipped to me. But I would say that “LET ME FLY ON MY OWN WINGS”, and let me put my self to the test, that what I can do good in the name of Allah (God) for the humanity. May Allah bless you all.

Wish you all the best of luck.
Sincerely Yours
M. Naeem Zahid
PA to Director/Programme Officer (Oslo Project)
Institute of Education & Research
University of Peshawar
e-mail: nickfay2@yahoo.comView attachment 3
Love the fact you have Phoenix cut into your chain ring.
In Greek mythology, a phoenix or phenix (Ancient Greek φοίνιξ phóinīx) is a long-lived bird that is cyclically regenerated or reborn. Associated with the sun, a phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor. The phoenix was subsequently adopted as a symbol in Early Christianity. The phoenix is referenced in modern popular culture.
Cyclically regenerated, perfect.
Unreal work man, I have a friend here in Australia who has done similar, great stuff!

http://dunyanews.tv/newsite/live_stream/new1_live_tv.php

If some one is online at this time the transmission is on and will be telecasted at the end of this news bulletin

unfortunately not viewable here:
Dear Viewer: STREAMING SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE IN NORTH AMERICA.!

amberwolf said:
http://dunyanews.tv/newsite/live_stream/new1_live_tv.php

If some one is online at this time the transmission is on and will be telecasted at the end of this news bulletin

unfortunately not viewable here:
Dear Viewer: STREAMING SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE IN NORTH AMERICA.!
Not workin to good in oz either cobb

Somebody (with proxy IP knowledge perhaps?) get this on YouTube ASAP.....

Congratulations Naeem!

Dear All;

Due to lots of disturbance in our country and political instability going on my part of interview was in the beginning of the news bulletin and was just few of my shots with me running the bike and the running gears and one of my close shot working on the bike alongwith vocal dubbing of the newscaster saying that "A brilliant gentleman of Peshawar has a made a unique bike which runs on electricity" and that is all.

Any way it was a hell lot of exposure and the my friends and others have been calling me and congratulating me about it.

I think I have made a great difference in the part of the world by going in the press and this will no doubt lay a firm foundation of green electric vehicles here. I am very happy for it was I who did it. My aim was not to achieve worldly benefits but to give a scientific idea and solution for transportation and let the people know that if I can do it, why not others who are in the profession the engineers etc. can do it. I feel like I am the happiest man on earth now.

The journalist who did the story said that he will give me the CD of his story for record. I will share that story with all of you with pleasure.

Thanks Ozjet; I did not know about the phoenix that much. Thanks for increasing my knowledge.

Some of Pakistani channels are not shown in some parts of the world specially USA for political reasons. Media is strongly controlled by the Govt. and therefore you will see and believe what they want you to see and believe.

Even if I am away from ES for a little while, I start missing it. Wish you all the best and I love you all.

Yours truly,
Naeem

Hello every body;

I had a road accident on my e-bike. Some times very minor things give rise to an accident. Thanks God I am OK with some scratches and bruises otherwise I am easily walking on my two feet.

What happened was that My front wheel got locked while I was cruising with the speed of 40 km/hr. The bike picked me up and slammed me like a wwf wrestler and I fell on my face. The front mudguard snapped off and locked the front wheel. The scary part was that I was thrown in front of traffic on the other side of the road. The vehicles had to hit the breaks hard and I had a real narrow escape. I was so confused. I thought may be a vehicle hit me from behind. It was a lot later when I come to know that It was my front wheel that got locked.

My front fork is bent inward and it seems like I would need to replace it. As it is homemade and there is no replacement available in the market I think I have to re-do every thing. If it is not that much damaged, may be slight bending back would resolve the issue but I have to carefully look for the points of stress on the mettle.

About the battery; It woks amazingly well and I am a very happy man today. Most surprisingly the battery was not hurt at all. It was very sturdy and firm therefore it did not even moved a bit.

After fitting my Lithium Ion Battery made from Laptop cells (used) it was my first ride. My bike became so light that it feels like a toy now. The accelaration is amazing due to light weight. Now I really understand how it feels to have a lithium pack.

Now is the time for fitting protection systems and HVC LVC cut off systems.

Yours Sincerely
Naeem

Glad you're not hurt too badly. How did the mud guard lock the wheel? I guess there is an advantage to having flimsy, thin mud guards.

Congratulations on your first lithium ride. You'll never want to use lead again. Lead is dead.
The BMS part is tricky. Most laptop packs have a circuit built in, but it may not be easy to use in a large pack.
If you never come close to fully draining the pack, it will reduce the chances of cell damage. Do you have any of the little boards that come with the laptop packs?

Even now when I recall the incident of the accident it scares me to death for if any vehicle crushed me and I would have died on the night when I was about to turn 41 the next day. I was indeed very lucky. by the way It was my birthday today.

No sir, I do not have any board that comes with the battery because I have bought only the cells and not the batteries of lap tops.

It is very easy for me to use a relay which is operated by a LA 741 which reads the pack for low voltage. Moreover, I would be using three of such LA741s. Two would read 6p7s portion of entire pack respectively while the third one will read the remaining 6p6s portion of the pack for low voltage. If any one of the three portion senses low voltage, it would shut off the entire pack. It would not start until the higher voltage are gained by letting the pack rest for may be 5 minutes or connected to the charger. I am sure it will work just fine.

One of the member has promised to send me three Lipo monitors in near future which will make the entire setup very secure.

Not only this, I also intend to include a break switch which is mechanically re-settable. It will cut off battery insteantly incase of a short circuit or suppose the motor gets stuck too bad due to any mechanical problem.

Thanks for your valuable comments.

Looking forward for feedback and guidance.

Naeem

Happy Birthday Naeem, glad you were'nt seriously hurt, my dad's birthday is today also but he has a few years on you though, over here we call it ground hog day. kool on the new batteries i still have the lead affliction for monetary reasons-have a good day-steve

FfredDRredD said:
Happy Birthday Naeem, glad you were'nt seriously hurt, my dad's birthday is today also but he has a few years on you though, over here we call it ground hog day. kool on the new batteries i still have the lead affliction for monetary reasons-have a good day-steve
Thanks steves and all my friends out there. It was a miracle that I was saved. I met with some people who were watching my accident and they have their shops there. They said it was a scary seen and there was a lot of chance for you to be hit with upcoming traffic from the opposite side.
Thanks for the birthday wish.

Off the topic but here is something very interesting. A guy by the name of Mr. Asif looks 80 ti 90 % like Mr. Rowan Atkinson the British Actor who did the comedy series known as Mr. Bean. In the following funny video a guy (black P cap) is bluffing with him and says that he has given Mr. Asif an advance of Rs. 45000/- for acting in a commercial with a cow, while such an incident has never occurred. The two friends of Mr. Asif have set the whole thing up to create this funny situation for a local TV channel's programme (just like the international programme "Just of Laughs"). I am sure you all will enjoy it.

<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=323719497746259" width="400" height="320" frameborder="0"></iframe>

With kind regards
Naeem

Have often wondered how Naeem was doing. This event is truly sad.

The type of radicals that would gun down school students, are really cowards that need to be wiped out. I fear the USA will also come under attack from within. It's just a matter of time, because of the lax security at the borders. It's far better to throw money at Wall Street than to beef up security at the borders. :roll: :roll:

Hi, Naeem, I've not seen you post in a long time, and have been wondering how you have been doing, and how you've gotten on with your projects?

Hello guys;
I hope everybody is keeping well. I don’t know where to begin try to be brief.

Firstly I want to condemn the cowardly act of terrorism which took place the other day in Abdul Wali Khan University and students and professors were killed. Those who are responsible are neither human nor animals because animals don’t such brutal things. The Government, organizations and people are fighting this war on terror with their meager resources but now people are rising against these bullying coward attacks on their own and when the people unite, they win the war because unity is strength. Even I have requested my Director to purchase a gun for me to defend my institution with the best of my abilities when the time comes and I promise you I wouldn’t go down with out a fight. I’m not sure about my university and the lives of all of us whether I will be there to tell the story to you people out there tomorrow or may be this night of mine is the last to tell my story from my room.

The reason for my absence is that my mother got so sick that I had to leave everything for her, even changed my life style and quit things I liked the most. She is her early 80s and first she was diagnosed with Tuberculosis. During medication she became worst and worst due to negative response of her body reactions towards huge antibiotics and at a point we lost hop of her recovery. As soon as she regained she got caught up with Asthma and still she is a patient who needs oxygen on regular basis. I am so busy with her and remain so worried for her that I lost the will to do any thing other than serving her. And that is the major reason for me being absent from the forum. Moreover, I started my studies from graduation(general qualification) then Bachelors in Education (B.Ed.) and just today faced viva of my Masters in Education (M.Ed.) now I have to wait for my results. I have also been given the opportunity to work as a lecturer (Specialized in Teacher Training) at my University in Directorate of Distance Education and hence got extremely busy with my daily routine.
Another reason for me being absent was that I lost my usnername and passward for entering the forum. Today I struck upon some old diary whereby I noted paswards and stuff and here I am.

My electric bike is in the garage and I am unable to use it as it requires a good DC motor as the old one burnt off once again one day and also destroyed my Lithium battery that I made out of laptop cells.

I became a professional teacher trainer with the thought that I as a person can make may be one or two bikes, but imagine if I teach and transfer my knowledge to kids through training their teachers, I can’t estimate exactly how many great scientist could be produced who will discover and invent may be other ways of doing things the way we never thought would be possible.

I’ll try to stay intouch intermittently in weekends.

Sincerely
Naeem

Naeem-
Caring for a loved one in those straits can certainly consume one's life and every thought - she is lucky to have you to look after her.

Very sorry about your difficulties, but it is good to hear from you again. The resourcefulness and inventiveness that went into your bike remain inspiring today and I am certain your teaching efforts will be as well.

The best to you and your mom.

Back