New Bafang Crank-Drives

melodious said:
Speaking of gears, all our bikes are internal hub gears, either Shimano Nexus or Sturmey Archer (AB & S3X). They are not designed to be shifted under power, which means that chain has to stop moving. The motor has lag, thus when you stop pedalling, you have to wait until the motor stops... going up a hill, this means losing momentum. The ideal solution will be a sensor in the motor that cuts power as soon as the cranks stop turning. We have proposed a work-around where an instant-off button on the handlebar is spliced into the ebrake, because if you touch the ebrake, the motor instantly quits. The challenge going up a hill is to goose the brake just enough to cut power, but not slow the bike; pressing a red button would be like an electronic clutch. We'll report on it, if we get it in the next batch. The other way to go is to install the NuVinci N360 transmission hub that can be shifted under power.
quoted from an Aussie who was part of a group buy.

Kepler starts into the thread roundabout page 20. Still hunting for specifics ATM :| .

Edit: OK, page 42 starts the portion of modifying the cutoff delay. :lol: I just skip 4-6 pages at a time and speed read anything with Kepler in the title.

Bingo!
This what the Gearsensor is designed to do. There is a version for internal hub gears. They tell me the wrinkles are ironed out. BUT I'm not trying the IHG version just the derailleur version. http://gearsensor.com

Crazy how long this thread is. Is this where we can ask questions about Bafang, or can we open a new thread?

Two quickies (and no this isn't Kanye West speaking to Kim Kardashian)

1. Is the consensus here that putting a mid drive bafang under your bottom bracket is better suited to steel than aluminium frame bikes?

2. If buying a battery from China is too expensive, what European seller sells batteries that fit instead? Lectric cycles talks about how using ''nominal batteries'' is ok, so I'm guessing bafang didn't go proprietary on our asses. And someone did a post about buying a hardtail on craigslist and buying a normal battery but he was in the US.

100MM do it yourself kit about to be released. They already produce a finished kit, now they will sell the tools and axle to build yourself. Not for the fearful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY9gUmc3DZo

bogski said:
Crazy how long this thread is. Is this where we can ask questions about Bafang, or can we open a new thread?

Two quickies (and no this isn't Kanye West speaking to Kim Kardashian)

1. Is the consensus here that putting a mid drive bafang under your bottom bracket is better suited to steel than aluminium frame bikes?

2. If buying a battery from China is too expensive, what European seller sells batteries that fit instead? Lectric cycles talks about how using ''nominal batteries'' is ok, so I'm guessing bafang didn't go proprietary on our asses. And someone did a post about buying a hardtail on craigslist and buying a normal battery but he was in the US.

You can put the BBs drives on steel or aluminium without problems.
I answered your battery question on your other thread.

Any time soon :D

Sent an email to Doug and he replied with a nice pdf file with all the info / pictures of the kit and pricing and such :mrgreen:

Don't want to spoil anything so I'll let him '' spread the news '' ... such a teaser, I know lol

cjh said:
tomjasz said:
100MM do it yourself kit about to be released. They already produce a finished kit, now they will sell the tools and axle to build yourself. Not for the fearful!

Any idea when?

samsavvas said:
John Bozi said:
in this thread of 158 pages? or somewhere else... I ll start at page one...

"There can be but one thread, there is only one thread..." etc etc

Savvas.

thanks samsavas and melodious, there are more threads than we think.

Keplers build must be the best I have seen.....
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60375&p=985783#p985783

Nice ride, great blackout look. Wow.

Ooohh a lefty :D
Looking good but looks a bit side heavy with that pannier on the side.

Thx Tom and KINNIN.

Yes,, its a bit heavy because of the Lifepo4 15Ah battery but its low down on the bike, so i barely feel it.

But look at that enormous frame triangle!!
Can you not get the battery in there,it will make all the difference

scfoster said:
Melbourne said:
My new BBS02 Cannon Bad Boy 48v15Ah

Was just looking at that particular bike.... is the Bottom Bracket 68mm?

Yes... But not sure about the High end model..Bad boy 0, They might be using the BB30.?

Aushiker said:
Melbourne said:
My new BBS02 Cannon Bad Boy 48v15Ah

Nice ... Do you get much drag from the pannier?

Andrew

Didn't notice it...got it to 60kph on the velodrome. I think my own body is the biggest drag.

G'day Melbourne ... very close to finishing a similar build to your badboy. Just wondering what
gear ratio your running to achieve the 60 kliks. I've been aspiring to a top speed circa 50k
with a 48f / 11r. I have multistar 2 x 16ah's mounted in rear panniers.

ThunderDuck said:
G'day Melbourne ... very close to finishing a similar build to your badboy. Just wondering what
gear ratio your running to achieve the 60 kliks. I've been aspiring to a top speed circa 50k
with a 48f / 11r. I have multistar 2 x 16ah's mounted in rear panniers.

52T/11...and very hard pedaling....lol

Looking forward to your build..pics pls:)

Melbourne said:
52T/11...and very hard pedaling....lol
Looking forward to your build..pics pls:)

Thanks for the reply Melbourne. Motor is fitted and all the
peripherals are loosely positioned on the bike. Just gotta line
up my brother to solder a few connections and its test ride
and photo time. woohoo!

Based on a new hardtail mtb, its a bit of a tank compared to
the clean, mean and minimalist build you have achieved. I do
however have some slicks to fit when the stock knobblies wear out.
Should be good an extra 2 or 3 kph ...

KINNINVIEKID said:
bogski said:
You can put the BBs drives on steel or aluminium without problems.
I answered your battery question on your other thread.

But aren't aluminium bikes prone to dying over time? I think I read somewhere (or dreamt it) that some guy was having an argument with his LBS mechanic and the mechanic was refusing to install a bafang on a carbon bike and insisting to put it on a cheap steel one.

My understanding is that carbon is the weakest, that aluminium is stronger but weaker and eventually breaks (and gives a bumpier ride too) but that steel keeps its quality at about 80%.

I would not trust carbon myself(especially not Chinese carbon) but I dont see a problem with aluminium as once the motor is attached properly it does not move at all relative to the frame so would not cause any problem.

Aluminium does not give a bumpier ride than steel,its the surface you are riding on that has the bumps :shock:
How these bumps transmit to bike and rider depends on many things including tyre type and pressure,suspension,seat composition etc.
Steel wheel dropouts are obviously stronger than aluminium but as long as your wheel is tightened properly it should not matter (no one I know of has fitted a torque arm on a BBS equipped bike).
The weakest parts in my opinion are the rear freewheel and the chain.

A few quick real life observations.
Kit has been performing perfectly...3800kms now on 750W Fang.
The last 15 years I have raced mountain bike competitions prior to the Fang joining my stable of bikes, but in recent years less active (secondary to lack of opportunities to train properly for said events). I'm 45yo and work long hours in desk job.
Since owning Fang I commute to work 42kms each way. Perhaps (3) assist to work and (4) assist for the gentle ascent back home. But the whole time I am contributing my full human wattage to the crank. I mean I am physically spent at the end of journey most days ....but only if I am in the mood.
Last month I entered a XC (cross country) endurance event. Format was who could ride the most distance in 6 hours over a looping single track course. Nauseating endurance.
I ran a top ten finish with no other training except for commuting to my desk job through Melbourne's winter. You see..... on my expensive Giant anthem dual suspension 'Normal' bike I get better quality training practice. BUT on the Fang I am inspired to spank that beast through my commuting course every friggin' day. 'Cos I know she can carry me for a while until my brain forgets the pain and I resume the training again.
Every day i feel like i own a $120,000 Tesla- a high end bike version of electric tech. I feel lucky that we in Australia (who have limitations to our wattage on motors--- 250W maximum) have found a compact, stealthy mid drive that rarely draws any attention to itself. Instead I get all the credit as i pass by club road bike riders. They see plenty of bursts of speed from many casual riders, but they are blown away by the constant/relentless speed that I generate. I often feel like the petrol head bully at the traffic lights---no one wants to make eye contact with me :twisted: :lol:
I continue to save between $100 and $150 bucks a week keeping the car at home (petrol; freeway toll; parking fees; and the big one- depreciation on the car from high kms on odometer).

Finally, may have been mentioned in earlier posts but thought I should give heads up for Australian punters.
I noticed Dillenger http://dillenger.com.au/shop/conversion-kits/electric-bike-kit-750w-bafang-8fun-mid-drive/
now offer the Fang in all its configs. I know nothing about their batteries and not sure about the warranty, but should come under standard Australian warranty laws....so 12months should be bare minimum.

Still waiting to see another Fang on the road/bike trail.

Kit has been performing perfectly...3800kms now on 750W Fang.

I've just cracked 1790km since i installed at the beginning of October. :) All running very nicely.
My work commute is only 9.5km each way but yup, i have been doing it every day rather than the 3 days / week i was managing before.
Having the electric means that when the wind blows i can still face it knowing that if i get really knackered or the knee gives out i can still get home easy.

On observations, one thing i didn't expect was for the 46V 11aH battery to give such a useful range. I did a 59km ride around the river yesterday and used about 6aH (based in just getting down to 3 bars on the display after some Watt meter testing previous) worth. Mainly flat, but some small hills on either end and about 2/5 of the ride into a light headwind. I'm actually glad i didn't spend any more on a larger battery which would have been heavier, less convenient to mount, and for me not much more use on a day to day basis.

Back