YK85 Controller (wont run)

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
rust   1 mW

1 mW

YK85 Controller (wont run)

Post by rust » Mar 19 2013 7:19pm

I purchased one of these to replace a "no-name" controller that quit on me, but I am having some problems getting it to work for me.

This is a 36/48V 250/350W brushless controller made by Yi-Yun http://www.yiyun.cn/

I got a diagram for it from an Italian forum
http://www.jobike.it/Public/data/Astrol ... -db0d2.jpg
and through Google translate, a description

1. Blue / Black - cruise / earthing
2. White wire - spare wire, no function
3. White / Black - Brake (low) / brake (low)
4. Purple - Brake (high)
5. Red / Black / Green - throttle positive / negative throttle / throttle signal
6. Red / Black / Yellow thin / thin blue / green thin - +5 V / Earthing / Top Hall lines
7. Thin Blue - instrument
8. Red / Blue / Black - +5 V / Signal / Earthing (Power assistant)
9. Thick Blue / Yellow Thick / Thick Green - Motor phase lines
10. Thick Red / Black thick / thin red - power positive / negative power / power lock

Of course, the thin red line (#10) has to be connected to the thick red for anything to work.

When I have it hooked up, the wheel does a little dance (goes forward about 6 degrees, then backs up about 6 degrees some 5 times) then runs forward for about 10 seconds and stops.

Also, the "Spare" white wire (#2) must be connected! No function indeed...

My bike has no PAS sensors (not required in my country). However I have tried shorting RED/BLUE (#8) with no positive results. Same thing shorted or not.

This has got me stumped. Any ideas?

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Re: YK85 Controller

Post by dogman dan » Mar 22 2013 8:30am

Sounds to me like you have the halls and phase wire combinations wrong when it does the little dance.

But I don't understand about it running ok for a few seconds later, then stopping. The no function white wire ( two of them that plug into each other), could it be a learning circuit?

Usually jumper wires like the two white wires are either regen enable, or a speed limiting enable.

dnmun   100 GW

100 GW

Re: YK85 Controller (wont run)

Post by dnmun » Mar 22 2013 1:15pm

shorting stuff is not a good way to start.

it does sound like your phase wires and hall wires are not synchronized to the motor.

but if you shorted some of the wires in testing there is no way to know the effect from that.

if you open the controller and can track down where the wire runs that you shorted to the B+ of the battery we could guess what happened.

rust   1 mW

1 mW

Post by rust » Mar 22 2013 3:18pm

Turns out that the wiring on the throttle was a little futzy. Re-soldered the connections, did the test again, and IT WORKS!

BTW, nothing to do with the Hall sensors. Also, the phase wiring was correct. G-G, Y-Y, B-B

I believe I was getting an anomolous reading when I checked the throttle (apply +5VDC to red, measure the return) because the CLIPS I was using to fasten the five volt supply would cause the faulty connection to work correctly. Snipped the wires down, re-soldered and BINGO.

It sure is nice to be able to ride again.

PS: Thanks dogman & dnmun for your input.

leffex   1 kW

1 kW

Post by leffex » Mar 22 2013 7:32pm

rust wrote: ...
5. Red / Black / Green - throttle positive / negative throttle / throttle signal
Also, the "Spare" white wire (#2) must be connected! No function indeed...
Yes the green wire. The green throttle wire must be changed to be in the middle.

My controller ( the one you bought) just died today. I just got about 6 months of use of this modell. I think you'll get more. I bought another one.

It was stuttering giving slow speed turning on and off. Two days like this so I dont know if a fet inside was not working ok. It died anyway at standstill with white wires connected(i really dont use them but tried to save the controllers heartbeat). Hmmmm ... don't connect the white wires they will destroy the controller(no function).
Salestech in an ebike store

toniovelo   10 W

10 W

Post by toniovelo » Aug 23 2013 1:18am

Hello friends!

I need help please to obtain cruise with YK85S ^^

I resume: i have one q100 motor, it run correctly after i connect white wires for function and unplug function tiny white wires. It's OK.

I've just one problem, it's the cruise.

I only connect motor x3 + hall x5 + battery x3 + throttle x 4.

No connected: 1 purple + 1 blue + white/black + red/black (chargingport) + another red/black + 2x tiny black + 2 tini white (function).

So, i connect what to obtain cruise? THANKS.

toniovelo   10 W

10 W

Post by toniovelo » Aug 25 2013 3:38am

nobody? lol

d8veh   100 GW

100 GW

Post by d8veh » Aug 25 2013 6:15am

Most cruises engage electronically by software. You hold the throttle still for 5 seconds and cruise will be engaged. To disengage, you blip the throttle or operate the brake switch.

Warning. Do not use this function if you don't have brake cut-off switches.

Even with brake switches, it'll scare you to death when it latches on to full throttle when you don't expect it, so be careful.

toniovelo   10 W

10 W

Post by toniovelo » Aug 25 2013 2:59pm

I still 5 or 10 or 20 seconds in same position with throttle but no cruise... help plz lol

I think i must connect others wires..?

rust   1 mW

1 mW

YK85 runs, but is a CON61 better?

Post by rust » Jul 30 2016 8:13pm

Well, I'm back. Not long after getting the controller installed and working, my batteries gave up the ghost. Or at least I seriously believed it to be as such.

For those of you who wanted to know what the controller was doing when it was doing its little dance, it was "configuring" itself automagically. I was in contact with an MIT guy who had been playing with that controller (his site is etotheiplusone dot net) and his few suggestions got me on the right track.

Apparently there is "low voltage protection" in this controller that "protects" the motor from voltages less than 31.5 volts...

I finally got the money together to buy three AGM SLA 1212 batteries while the bike sat in the garage collecting dust and I hoofed it around town. I got them, soldered them up and installed them into my battery pack and I've been tootling around. But I've been noticing that after a couple-three of kilometers distance, the low voltage protector kicks in and makes me wait for my voltage to creep back up -which isn't too deadly for the first while. So, I've been looking around to see if I should invest a few more bucks and get a "better" controller that doesn't "protect" me from low voltages. The original no-name controller I had would just make me go slower and slower until the thing would literally groan and moan but I had much much better autonomy. I've seen on GREENBIKEKIT dot com a "CON61" controller that seems to have a more sensible low voltage level, but their site is borked.

Any thoughts on this?