Charging at 247 Amperes

Doctorbass

100 GW
Ho worrie guys, it's not me charging at 20C my ebike.... :lol:

it's a picture i found about the New TESLA supercahrger of 90-120kW!!!

Yes guys!! TESLA GOT THE POWER !! :twisted:

You can see that it is charging at 362Volts and 247Ampere!!

These 3.1Ah 18650 cells are used close to their max rating!!

96s 74p arrangement

247-255A-90-kW-2012-12-30+17.18.05.jpg

Here i a description on how these supercahrger are electrically arranged:

For your info, here's how a typical (in this case the Port St Lucie, FL) supercharger infrastructure is configured:

The eight bay setup takes a 12kV, 750kVA feed from the utility, steps it down to 480V three phase on site, pushes that into 2000A switchgear which feeds four (one for each pair of bays) SuperCharger units at 480V/200A. Each unit contains 12 [Model S] 10kW rectifiers for 120kW.

For safety reasons the 'pod' that the car plugs into is not energized until the cable has done a handshake, so if something accidentally flattens a pod or the cable is cut there is no danger.

Each unit is 120kW and will load balance between two bays - if two cars are at the same SOC they'll each get 60kW, whereas if one is empty and one is close to full it will split it 90/30. So...if you come into an SC station and there are several empty bays DO NOT park next to an existing car unless you first check the label on the SC - each one should be labeled 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. Avoid taking the same number if you can so you get the full 120kW.

Strictly speaking all old SCs are only 90kW, but are being upgraded. All new SCs are 120kW but will only push 90kW right now because the cars require a firmware update to take 120kW, and a tweak is needed at the SC station. No date on when the change is going to happen.

Tesla is exploring pushing the units to 150kW in the future.

Update: I forgot to add - to accelerate the build out SCs are being built without solar and without the 'spaceship' signage. Both are over 10' tall and therefore have additional zoning restrictions that delay the permitting process. Tesla is committed to getting the SCs out as fast, far and wide as possible and is currently limited by the permitting process. They are therefore doing everything to speed that part of the process up. At some point in the future when some unspecified criteria are met, TM will begin the process to add solar and signage to some/all (?) of the SCs.

Doc

deVries said:
How much $ is it to charge per charge or by subscription at Public Access charging stations where you live in Quebec Doctorbass???

Some of these Super Power charge stations you mention here are being installed in Austin, TX next year 2014.

Everyone is invited to post your public charge info linked here:

How Much $ is Your Public Charge Station???

I have answered yor thread :wink:

Great thread idea btw!

We have about 90 Tesla S in Quebec but still only one Chademo...

Doc

Back