BBSHD fried?

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
samdavis   1 µW

1 µW

BBSHD fried?

Post by samdavis » Jan 16 2016 1:43am

Well I think I might have fried my bbshd. My bike fell the other day and the handle bars twisted so far that the connection between the display and the harness came apart. When they came apart the metal prongs in the connector from the harness were bent. So I got a small screwdriver and began bending the prongs back while neglecting to disconnect the battery! Well there was a spark, I then disconnected the battery and finished straightening the prongs without any more sparks. After reconnecting the battery and the display, the motor and the display would not turn on. No power at all. I checked the battery and it was ok. I was able to get a new wiring harness and that didn't help. I tried to connect my computer to it with the programming cable and software, that didn't work. So I'm guessing the controller is fried, but there is a chance that the connector from the display is damaged. Before I buy anymore parts I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or advice. This is my first build and I love commuting with it. I haven't been able to find a bbshd controller for sale any where yet, so I'm starting to get a little worried and sick to my stomach

Lurkin   100 kW

100 kW

Re: BBSHD fried?

Post by Lurkin » Jan 16 2016 2:50am

Relax. Breaking a new toy sucks, but fixing so its working again is also even better.

Firstly figure out whats wrong, then figure out how to replace it.

Do you have a multimeter? Take your battery off, test the voltage outputs of the battery. If thats ok, then its after the battery and is likely the controller. Not too sure how to test it beyond that, but given your getting nothing out of it and the battery is ok, its likely to be the controller.

Its worth taking a bit of time to inspect your connections and wiring loom again to ensure it isn't just a break somewhere else. Your multimeter can assist here, and leave you battery unplugged this time.

Do you know of anyone selling these near to you? they should be able to test it for you. If not, know anyone whose got one? swapping things between them can also check it.

Paul of Em3ev is pretty close to Bafang and should be able to get anything you require so don't panic. Its all replaceable, its a matter of money. 8)

Update your profile to show where your location is. This way, others can recommend better solutions for you with regard to supplier proximity and freight.

samdavis   1 µW

1 µW

Post by samdavis » Jan 16 2016 12:52pm

Lurkin wrote:Relax. Breaking a new toy sucks, but fixing so its working again is also even better.

Firstly figure out whats wrong, then figure out how to replace it.

Do you have a multimeter? Take your battery off, test the voltage outputs of the battery. If thats ok, then its after the battery and is likely the controller. Not too sure how to test it beyond that, but given your getting nothing out of it and the battery is ok, its likely to be the controller.

Its worth taking a bit of time to inspect your connections and wiring loom again to ensure it isn't just a break somewhere else. Your multimeter can assist here, and leave you battery unplugged this time.

Do you know of anyone selling these near to you? they should be able to test it for you. If not, know anyone whose got one? swapping things between them can also check it.

Paul of Em3ev is pretty close to Bafang and should be able to get anything you require so don't panic. Its all replaceable, its a matter of money. 8)

Update your profile to show where your location is. This way, others can recommend better solutions for you with regard to supplier proximity and freight.
Thanks for the reply. The first thing I did was test the battery with a multimeter and that was fine. I am getting power to the battery connector. The motor is off the bike and I have checked all connections, tried a new wiring harness and no go. Like you I'm guessing the controller. I'm just surprised there is no kind of fuse integrated for situations like these. I bought my bbshd from luna cycle so I'll see if they can help, nice to know em3ev is so close. Thanks again

melodious   100 kW

100 kW

Post by melodious » Jan 16 2016 3:04pm

I had a spill on a BBS-2 system, thought it was the controller, turned out to be a physical disconnection of the main power wires not in the battery, but within the battery holder, remedied by soldering. Then took another spill and found the system unresponsive again :? . This time it was carbon buildup between the battery plug & battery holder, it was loosing connection when riding coming off & me resetting the power back on, remedied by filling the plug hole with solder and drilling a new, better contacted plug. Since the new fixes, I've been golden for at least a 1000 miles, which is a success in my book.

Thinking it was a controller issue, I bought a spare and replaced the old controller, so I have some experience in the disassembly and reassembly of a bbs-2. The controller section was made of shitty material (hard plastic?) and can get damaged if you cromagnon you way to remove it from the main motor, which would damage your waterproof seals, for what that's worth (I ride in all conditions and so far my motor still runs fine :wink: ). From what I've read, the Bbs-hd controller casing is all metal so more forgiving when prying it out.

Another dilemma when replacing the controller are the 3 phase wires. It's pretty tight in there (you'll see :o ) and finagling the new controller wires into the motor & reinstalling the controller casing to the motor casing took some patience (or in my case a large rubber mallet and pounding it into the "sleeves".

Hope my experiences help.
Surly Ogre rigid 29er, rear 10T MAC @ 50V 25AH & 40A: 30mph road/gravel/hill machine
42" dual diagonal Eskateboard @6s & 90mm wheels
Next: eMTB @10-12s & 8"-12" pneumatic wheels; Got Strapped? d-(',')z

Eprilia   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Eprilia » Jan 16 2016 8:18pm

I too had the same thing happen to my BBS02. I bringing it out of the garage the handlebars turned 180 and the connector bent around the head tube and came apart bending the pins in the process. Using some needle nose pliers while the battery was still connected produces a few sparks with the same results as yours. Long story short, the controller was cooked. A replacement from Luna Cycles had me back up and running. Your results may be different, but would suspect you will also need a replacement controller as well. :(

tomjasz   10 GW

10 GW

Post by tomjasz » Jan 17 2016 2:11am

No money, no waiting for a part from China. You bought from Luna. You're golden!
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

samdavis   1 µW

1 µW

Post by samdavis » Jan 17 2016 4:43pm

Yes, luna is taking care of me. I can’t recommend luna enough. They're going to send me a new controller. This is the second time that they have gone the extra mile for me, their customer service is on point.

waynebergman   10 kW

10 kW

Post by waynebergman » Jan 17 2016 7:54pm

Hey Sam Davis you missed a good chance for a good user name ........... Sam e Davis :) option on the junior.

http://www.sammydavis-jr.com/ he was a funny guy.

speedmd   100 MW

100 MW

Post by speedmd » Jan 17 2016 9:09pm

My BBS02 got a pinched cable. Burnt the controller and throttle. Speed sensor survived. I would make sure to have a spare throttle handy. You will need to have-need one at some point.

Green Machine   100 kW

100 kW

Post by Green Machine » Jan 17 2016 10:47pm

At worst its the controller is fried...and thats the very worst...and i do have replacment BBSHD controllers in stock so just PM me and I can hook you up if this turns out to be the case.

samdavis   1 µW

1 µW

Post by samdavis » Jan 30 2016 5:58am

Thanks for everyone's input on this. The new controller arrived today and after a quick install the motor powers up again. Thanks to luna for the quick replacement. There was one plug from the controller that plugs into the motor that was drowned with silicone. When reinstalling the controller should I put silicone on this plug? Anyone have any suggestions on brand or type of silicone?

tomjasz   10 GW

10 GW

Post by tomjasz » Jan 30 2016 10:50am

Yes,

RTV silicone, electronics grade. Not your bathroom stuff. It's unpaintable.
Loctite brand meets the standard, I'm told. Or you can find "silicone, electronics grade" on Amazon.

I buy from PilotsHQ, they also have Mobil 28 at one of the lowest prices and decent shipping rates.

http://pilotshq.com/product_info.php?products_id=11053
http://pilotshq.com/product_info.php?products_id=11064
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.