V-twin Electric

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
sportscarpat   100 µW

100 µW

V-twin Electric

Post by sportscarpat » Mar 22 2017 11:19pm

Hi Guys,
I am new around here and am working on a new electric bike with a vintage look. I have been building gas motorized bikes for a few years now under the name Sportsman Flyer. I have developed a few different models based on early motorcycle designs, around 1918 vintage, when motorcycles still had functional pedal cranks. There were many manufacturers back then and I have been careful not to try and copy say an early Indian or Harley. What I have done is to build my own designs based on the common design practices and manufacturing techniques used at that time, while incorporating modern manufacturing methods where it makes sense, at least to me. The basic platform is called a Sportsman Flyer which uses a drop loop style frame where the large loop in the frame down tube allows room for motors, and a single speed reduction unit that shares a pedal crank system like a bicycle. Right side of the bike is the pedal side and the left side is the motor side. I have standardized the various components used on the Flyer to produce pedal only bicycles, and then gas engine packages from 80cc to 250cc.

A typical Flyer bicycle looks like this:

ImageSportsman Pedal Bike by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

A typical Flyer gas bike looks like this:

ImageBonneville Flyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

You'll notice the similarities between the two extremes. Both have the same basic frame style, the drop loop, and both closely follow vintage design practices. The pedal bicycle is a cruiser model while the 200cc gas bike is a board track racer.

sportscarpat   100 µW

100 µW

Re: V-twin Electric

Post by sportscarpat » Mar 22 2017 11:33pm

The gas bike shown above has my standard reduction drive system I mentioned earlier. It is a single speed design on the motor side with fixed gear ratio. I use a kart racing centrifugal clutch on the engine, and from there feed power back to the reduction unit on the pedal crank, and then power is transmitted to the rear wheel. The basic drive system allows flexability to use various power sources, including electric motors. After kicking around different ideas to add an electric motor to the drop loop frame while keeping the vintage style I like so much I decided to build out a v-twin type case to structurally support the electric motor.

Here is the first motor case I developed for the electric motor.

ImageElectric Flyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

And here is the motor case just balanced into a Flyer pedal cruiser to test fit.

ImageElectra Flyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW

Post by MadRhino » Mar 23 2017 12:03am

Nice work. Those electric flyer frames are calling for a motor. Some ES members did build on them. I hope to see one similar with a soft tail. :wink:
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street:
Trek Session 10 mod. Variable geometry. 70mph
Dirt:
Santa Cruz V10. 50mph

dingoEsride   100 kW

100 kW

Post by dingoEsride » Mar 23 2017 12:09am

Looking good,
Gotta love retro classic gasser conversions, does remind me though of the Juicer using Headway cells as cylinder barrels 8)
Attachments
ranger.jpg
ranger.jpg (183.76 KiB) Viewed 3733 times
ride like the wind

Lebowski   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Lebowski » Mar 23 2017 7:43am

Have you thought of, instead of fake cilinders, using 2 RC motors both feeding onto the same big bevel gear (house in the 'crankshaft' housing) ?

craiggor   100 W

100 W

Post by craiggor » Apr 07 2017 5:56am

Batteries fit in the crankcase of the Munro.Image

sportscarpat   100 µW

100 µW

Post by sportscarpat » Apr 19 2017 5:44pm

Here is the cruiser bike finished up. This was a simple build to test my drive system and it worked as intended. The battery is a 52v 30ah with Big-Block electric motor from Lightning Rods. Can't say enough good things about Lightning Rods. They pretty much specified the big block electric motor, battery, and controller and took the time to educate me on the entire package. The battery resides in the "gas tank", controller is in the tool box, and the motor is mounted in the v-twin crank case.

ImageTesting by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

From there I built out a board track model. This is another standard Sportsman Flyer model where I build basically every component except the rims, hubs, and tires. The same chassis is used for my gas bikes. This bike has the same exact electric drive system as the cruiser then uses a Sportsman Flyer springer fork, seat, handlebars, and disc brakes front and rear. So far the bike has been able to maintain just over 40 mph on flat ground. I cruise at 30 mph. This bike handles beautifully!

ImageSportsman Electraflyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

sportscarpat   100 µW

100 µW

Post by sportscarpat » Jan 18 2018 11:45am

Another cool cruiser build. 52v 30 ah. I used 3" tires on this build and disc brakes. Also has Triumph type motorcycle fenders in aluminum.

ImageSportsman Electraflyer Cruiser by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

sportscarpat   100 µW

100 µW

Post by sportscarpat » Jan 18 2018 11:50am

This one is a cool boardie (board track racer). it uses a 72v battery. If I complete it in time it should be at the Grand National Roadster Show in a couple weeks.

SlowCo   100 kW

100 kW

Post by SlowCo » Jan 18 2018 1:12pm

8) Beautiful bikes!
Very nice work.

sportscarpat   100 µW

100 µW

Post by sportscarpat » Jul 07 2018 12:26am