My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
qqquent   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 27 2018 2:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by qqquent » Apr 27 2018 2:55pm

Hello,

Purchased one of the am1000 bikes that was brought over for the Sea Otter Classic. Put the bike together last night and took it for its first ride. Really fun.

Wondering if any of the other owners who have tweaked their motor settings can post screenshots of the software that shows the changes? Would be hugely helpful as I can imagine the settings being improved upon. Even a list of the tweaks would be helpful. Have seen recommendations throughout this thread but it would be great to have all the info in one place.

Thanks in advance.

jeffcrilly   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 8
Joined: Mar 04 2018 9:17pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by jeffcrilly » Apr 28 2018 5:08am

qqquent wrote:
Apr 27 2018 2:55pm
Purchased one of the am1000 bikes that was brought over for the Sea Otter Classic.
Ahh... if I had only known... I would've made the journey to Monterey.
Sounds like a good event. Maybe next year.

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » Apr 30 2018 10:55pm

Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area who wants to test ride the AM1000 or the FAT1000, let me know and we can arrange a day and time.

Also, I'd like to make a video walk around of both bikes, some side by side comparisons perhaps? Open to any suggestions, what is it people would like to see in a video?

I'll probably try to build some alternate wheels for both of them to see how many options will work and how it affects the feel of the bike and the difference, if any, in the clearance from the ground. I thought about trying out an IGH hub with one of them, but not sure I want to commit to removing the existing shifter and rear derailleur, so might consider it if I can leave both in place.

Also, something that was probably obvious to anyone who researched this bike or who has owned fat tire bikes or mid-fat/plus tire bikes, but totally didn't occur to me - you should make sure your bike rack can handle the wheelbase, the weight, and the tire diameter and width. Or be prepared to potentially buy adapters or a new bike rack.

The AM1000 with 27.5 x 3.0 tires still fits in my 1UP USA bike rack, but the wheelbase of the bike and the weight of the bike with battery installed were both stretching the limits of the rack. Next time I will try it with battery removed and see if the bounce and wobble are diminished. In case you can't tell from the photos, these batteries are solid, industrial-strength metal packs, not the plastic we've come to expect from the shark/whale/dolphin/hailong packs. Okay, so the 4 inch tires of the FAT1000 wouldn't fit. From the 1UP website:
– Fits 16”–29” wheels, up to 3.1” wide (see spacer kit for tires wider than 3.1”)*
– Accommodates up to 54” wheelbase


So I will need to get the $34 spacer kit for it:
Accommodates tires wider than 3.1” up to 4.9” wide

I don't own one, but heard good things about kuat NV 2.0 which says it can handle up to 48 inch wheelbase and the 4 inch tires with strap adapter. The Large Frey AM1000 has a wheelbase of 49.6 inches per the website, so that version would be too long for the kuat NV 2.0 as-is. Anyway, just so you're prepared, unlike me.


Thanks,
Sean
SF Bay Area

LowkeeRider   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 49
Joined: Jul 18 2012 1:32am

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by LowkeeRider » Apr 30 2018 11:26pm

Hi Frey:
I am so interested on the M600, can't wait what Frey's came up with. I hope is slick and slim like the one on the Bafang website.

Velophil   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 5
Joined: Feb 04 2018 12:10pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Velophil » May 01 2018 2:18am

I am so nterested by m600 too ! Ivy Said that bulk production Can be started from june.AM1000 is tooheavy for me ( 30 kg!!!) . So,i will wait. I have no informations about the Price and battery ( 48v 21ah ?).

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14862
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by fechter » May 01 2018 8:11am

dalysea wrote:
Apr 30 2018 10:55pm
Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area who wants to test ride the AM1000 or the FAT1000, let me know and we can arrange a day and time.
What part of the Bay Area are you located in?
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Hardcore   100 W

100 W
Posts: 141
Joined: Mar 22 2018 7:19pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Hardcore » May 01 2018 9:30am

Hi Sean,

I am very interested to see the comparison video and also some performance aspects of both bikes.

What 27.5 x 3.0 tyres did you put on the AM1000? I'm looking into using some 27.5 x 2.8 but they might be much wider due to their pattern. Also, what rim width does the bike come with?
dalysea wrote:
Apr 30 2018 10:55pm
Also, I'd like to make a video walk around of both bikes, some side by side comparisons perhaps? Open to any suggestions, what is it people would like to see in a video?

User avatar
Ivanovitch_k   10 W

10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Jul 15 2017 4:54pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Ivanovitch_k » May 01 2018 12:26pm

Hi guys,

i just got my am1000 frame and it appears the swingarm got banged up during transit.
am1000dmg - 5.jpg
am1000dmg - 5.jpg (189.42 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
am1000dmg - 4.jpg
am1000dmg - 4.jpg (131.13 KiB) Viewed 2676 times
An offset like that seems pretty strange.

When disassembled, I noticed the rocker/link has to be compressed & pushed to the left pretty hard in order for it to fit back in the seat stay anchors. Compared to other FS frames it does not feel right at all to me :?
am1000dmg2 - 1.jpg
am1000dmg2 - 1.jpg (173.84 KiB) Viewed 2574 times

Also, there is a bearing screw that protudes out of the frame even when screwed correctly, wtf ?

edit: checked it thoroughly, this is by design, can't do nothing about it.
Grit will accumulate here, even if the bearing is sealed this is meh.
am1000dmg2 - 3.jpg
am1000dmg2 - 3.jpg (233.63 KiB) Viewed 2574 times

Could you guys look at your frames to see wether or not this is *normal* ?
BBS'ed Radon ZR Team 8:
BBS02B 750W - DPC750C - 48V 17.5Ah GA shark - 11 spd 11-40 Shimano XT, 42T N-W Precialps CW, KMC X11e chain, Gearsensor, XT RD, XTR Shifter, F Saint Brake, R XT Brake, RT99 200/160 Discs, magnetic shutoff, DT Swiss X1900 QR9 wheels, Manitou M30 air fork, 2.4" slick balloon schwalbe Super Moto X tires @2 bars, Suntour NCX suspension seatpost, ergon SFC3 saddle, ergon GP3 grips, Supernova M99 Pro + E12 Taillight

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » May 01 2018 4:52pm

Hardcore wrote:
May 01 2018 9:30am

I am very interested to see the comparison video and also some performance aspects of both bikes.

What 27.5 x 3.0 tyres did you put on the AM1000? I'm looking into using some 27.5 x 2.8 but they might be much wider due to their pattern. Also, what rim width does the bike come with?
dalysea wrote:
Apr 30 2018 10:55pm
Also, I'd like to make a video walk around of both bikes, some side by side comparisons perhaps? Open to any suggestions, what is it people would like to see in a video?
Good suggestion, I'll try to separate out my performance feedback between my thoughts on the Frey itself and my thoughts on riding a fat tire bike for the first time and what it feels like to have torque-sensing for the first time.

The tires are CST BFT 27.5x3.0 - I think Cheng Shin Tire is the parent company of Maxxis. Frey's alibaba page shows that it normally comes with Maxxis 27.5x2.8 REKON+ TLR. I'll have to check the rims and let you know.

Thanks,
Sean
SF Bay Area, California

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » May 01 2018 5:00pm

fechter wrote:
May 01 2018 8:11am
dalysea wrote:
Apr 30 2018 10:55pm
Anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area who wants to test ride the AM1000 or the FAT1000, let me know and we can arrange a day and time.
What part of the Bay Area are you located in?
I'm in Orinda, next to Berkeley.

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W
Posts: 177
Joined: Dec 20 2017 11:52pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » May 01 2018 9:17pm

Hi,

As you purchased only the frame with motor system and battery. We can't built the whole bike, adjust details and test in our side. Could you please help to build the whole bike and adjust it in the best condition to see how it works then? if there is any issue or problem. We will support you promptly. Please don't worry. We are always available!

Ivanovitch_k wrote:
May 01 2018 12:26pm
Hi guys,

i just got my am1000 frame and it appears the swingarm got banged up during transit.

am1000dmg - 5.jpg
am1000dmg - 4.jpg

An offset like that seems pretty strange.

When disassembled, I noticed the rocker/link has to be compressed & pushed to the left pretty hard in order for it to fit back in the seat stay anchors. Compared to other FS frames it does not feel right at all to me :?

am1000dmg2 - 1.jpg


Also, there is a bearing screw that protudes out of the frame even when screwed correctly, wtf ?

edit: checked it thoroughly, this is by design, can't do nothing about it.
Grit will accumulate here, even if the bearing is sealed this is meh.

am1000dmg2 - 3.jpg


Could you guys look at your frames to see wether or not this is *normal* ?

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » May 02 2018 12:57pm

Ivanovitch_k wrote:
May 01 2018 12:26pm
Could you guys look at your frames to see whether or not this is *normal* ?
Here is a photo of the bearing screw from an AM1000 that was assembled by someone from Frey, so it appears you have assembled it correctly. In other words, if it is a flaw, it is a design flaw, not a build flaw.
am1000_bearing.jpg
am1000_bearing.jpg (96.79 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
edit: oops, sorry, just saw your edit that you already figured out it was by design


-Sean
SF Bay Area, California
Last edited by dalysea on May 02 2018 1:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » May 02 2018 1:07pm

Hardcore wrote:
May 01 2018 9:30am
Also, what rim width does the bike come with?
No label on the rims, but I measured as best I could without removing the tire and they appear to be 40mm width outer edge.

-Sean
SF Bay Area, California

dalysea   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 44
Joined: Mar 13 2018 8:42pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by dalysea » May 02 2018 1:49pm

Since Frey intends to begin ramping up production on the fat tire version of this bike, I'm wondering if there is any value in providing feedback on potential options to mitigate the so-called "self-steer" when riding on asphalt? I realize I'm not using the fat tires on the riding surface for which they were intended, but in other forums I've heard some people suggest that rim width and tire selection can almost eliminate the issue. And yet other people say it could just depend on the weight of the bike and the person riding it.

When I ride the Frey fat tire bike with the Maxxis fat tires on the road, I find that I'm fighting to keep the handlebar straight, the bike has a mind of its own. So does anyone have any suggestions we could provide to Frey, anything that has worked for people in this forum? Would changing to a longer stem reduce the issue? Some quotes below just from me doing a search:

"Vee Rubber Mission 4.0 - bad self steer"
"VeeRubber H-Billie 4.0 - moderate self steer"
"Schwalbe Jumbo Jim Snakeskin 4.0 - moderate self steer (this was the gen one JJ, not the new addix)"
"45Nrth Vanhelga 4.0 120 tpi - virtually no self steer"

"Maxxis Mammoths ... horrible for self-steer"

"Jumbo jims ... some of the lowest self steer Ive ever dealt with. Only fat tires I have been able to ride no hands"

"You want a demo of self steer, mount up some original Surly Endomorphs. they go everywhere you are not aiming. horrifying"

"My Barbagazzi's have zero self steer down on pavement down to 4 psi - haven't ridden them below that."



Thanks,
Sean
SF Bay Area, California

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14862
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by fechter » May 02 2018 2:56pm

To get a real comparison between different tires, you need the same bike and same rider to evaluate. The frame geometry and tire pressure has an effect on self steer also.

That said, I have some Kenda Juggernauts on my fat bike and they seem fine on pavement but do self steer a bit on dirt. I just chalk it up to riding skill. A really skillful rider can probably deal with any amount of self steer.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

User avatar
Ivanovitch_k   10 W

10 W
Posts: 96
Joined: Jul 15 2017 4:54pm
Location: Paris, France

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Ivanovitch_k » May 02 2018 4:03pm

FREYebikes wrote:
May 01 2018 9:17pm
As you purchased only the frame with motor system and battery. We can't built the whole bike, adjust details and test in our side. Could you please help to build the whole bike and adjust it in the best condition to see how it works then? if there is any issue or problem. We will support you promptly. Please don't worry. We are always available!
I will give you the benefit of the doubt. For now, I'm waiting a Rohloff IGH* to start lacing the wheels, then I will see how the frame behaves.

Though, can you make sure the swing arm to seat stay offset/bending is normal on other frames ?

dalysea wrote:
May 02 2018 12:57pm
Here is a photo of the bearing screw from an AM1000 that was assembled by someone from Frey, so it appears you have assembled it correctly. In other words, if it is a flaw, it is a design flaw, not a build flaw.
yes, this protuding screw design is unfortunate indeed :|

But I'm more concerned about the swing arm look. Never saw something like that to be honest :shock:

I reckon I would probably have overlooked it on a complete bike, but the fact that it scratched the seat tube only on one side during transit made me look into it...

Image

Image

Image


Will probably make a build thread here for other interested. The AM1000 frame will be outfitted with premium stuff:
a Rohloff Speedhub laced on 35mm-wide DT-swiss e-bike hardened rims + e-bike hardened version of the fox 36 fork + fox DHX2 coil shock
should be sweet :D !
BBS'ed Radon ZR Team 8:
BBS02B 750W - DPC750C - 48V 17.5Ah GA shark - 11 spd 11-40 Shimano XT, 42T N-W Precialps CW, KMC X11e chain, Gearsensor, XT RD, XTR Shifter, F Saint Brake, R XT Brake, RT99 200/160 Discs, magnetic shutoff, DT Swiss X1900 QR9 wheels, Manitou M30 air fork, 2.4" slick balloon schwalbe Super Moto X tires @2 bars, Suntour NCX suspension seatpost, ergon SFC3 saddle, ergon GP3 grips, Supernova M99 Pro + E12 Taillight

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W
Posts: 177
Joined: Dec 20 2017 11:52pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » May 03 2018 2:08am

I see. Will pay more attention in this point following.
Ivanovitch_k wrote:
May 02 2018 4:03pm
FREYebikes wrote:
May 01 2018 9:17pm
As you purchased only the frame with motor system and battery. We can't built the whole bike, adjust details and test in our side. Could you please help to build the whole bike and adjust it in the best condition to see how it works then? if there is any issue or problem. We will support you promptly. Please don't worry. We are always available!
I will give you the benefit of the doubt. For now, I'm waiting a Rohloff IGH* to start lacing the wheels, then I will see how the frame behaves.

Though, can you make sure the swing arm to seat stay offset/bending is normal on other frames ?

dalysea wrote:
May 02 2018 12:57pm
Here is a photo of the bearing screw from an AM1000 that was assembled by someone from Frey, so it appears you have assembled it correctly. In other words, if it is a flaw, it is a design flaw, not a build flaw.
yes, this protuding screw design is unfortunate indeed :|

But I'm more concerned about the swing arm look. Never saw something like that to be honest :shock:

I reckon I would probably have overlooked it on a complete bike, but the fact that it scratched the seat tube only on one side during transit made me look into it...

Image

Image

Image


Will probably make a build thread here for other interested. The AM1000 frame will be outfitted with premium stuff:
a Rohloff Speedhub laced on 35mm-wide DT-swiss e-bike hardened rims + e-bike hardened version of the fox 36 fork + fox DHX2 coil shock
should be sweet :D !

Jebu   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: May 10 2017 3:40pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Jebu » May 03 2018 3:09pm

The original cassette after a week of use.

Image

qqquent   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 27 2018 2:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by qqquent » May 03 2018 5:11pm

Jebu, do you know what caused this?

I'm also having issues with my AM1000 and think a worn out cassette is to blame. I did a rather thorough alignment of the derailleur last night and still have issues this morning. Hard to believe the cassette is already bad as this is only the third time I've ridden the bike. The chain skips on the two highest gears (the smallest cogs) when pedaled hard. It's bad enough that I can't use the highest gear.

Did you order a new cassette? If so, what did you get?

Hope this issue isn't ongoing.

Jebu   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 29
Joined: May 10 2017 3:40pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Jebu » May 03 2018 5:29pm

I'm testing somethings. I don't think the cassette is the problem.

Animalector   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 902
Joined: Mar 17 2012 4:50pm
Location: Mareeba - Queensland

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Animalector » May 03 2018 5:45pm

check the hubs for loose bearings, we bought some ebikes with Novatec hubs, and they were not particularly high-end, anyway, the slack in the hubs' bearings would deform the cassete alignment and result in chain jumping issues. New quality hub and cassette and problem is gone, with all of the identical drive train.

qqquent   10 µW

10 µW
Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 27 2018 2:44pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by qqquent » May 03 2018 7:09pm

Thanks for the reply. How would you check the hub for loose bearings?

FREYebikes   100 W

100 W
Posts: 177
Joined: Dec 20 2017 11:52pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by FREYebikes » May 03 2018 7:18pm

Very strange, we have never sold any of our AM1000 come with this kind of black cassette. All we sold out earlier is SHIMANO in silver color.
If you got the bike from some distributor, please check with the distributor.
Thank you for all friends' attention here!
Jebu wrote:
May 03 2018 3:09pm
The original cassette after a week of use.

Image

Drop Dead Fred   100 W

100 W
Posts: 120
Joined: Dec 16 2017 3:51pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Drop Dead Fred » May 04 2018 12:03am

Hey q,

I believe you probably have an adjustment problem. While I prefer SRAM and it is mainly because I seem to knock Shimano out of adjustment regularly as they seem to be a bit finicky. Did you have a bike shop set your bike up? You might want to take it down to a shop and get a tune just to be sure and they will let you know if something is having an issue.

Fred
qqquent wrote:
May 03 2018 5:11pm
Jebu, do you know what caused this?

I'm also having issues with my AM1000 and think a worn out cassette is to blame. I did a rather thorough alignment of the derailleur last night and still have issues this morning. Hard to believe the cassette is already bad as this is only the third time I've ridden the bike. The chain skips on the two highest gears (the smallest cogs) when pedaled hard. It's bad enough that I can't use the highest gear.

Did you order a new cassette? If so, what did you get?

Hope this issue isn't ongoing.

Drop Dead Fred   100 W

100 W
Posts: 120
Joined: Dec 16 2017 3:51pm

Re: My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Post by Drop Dead Fred » May 04 2018 12:06am

Mine's silver, also looks like the number 1 gear is smaller too?
FREYebikes wrote:
May 03 2018 7:18pm
Very strange, we have never sold any of our AM1000 come with this kind of black cassette. All we sold out earlier is SHIMANO in silver color.
If you got the bike from some distributor, please check with the distributor.
Thank you for all friends' attention here!
Jebu wrote:
May 03 2018 3:09pm
The original cassette after a week of use.

Image
Attachments
IMG_20180405_115651.jpg
IMG_20180405_115651.jpg (217.53 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

Post Reply