-WAYNE'S # 3-

Got something to sell? Have extra parts that need a good home? Have something that others would need to complete their kits? Post it up here and see if anyone else is searching for what you are selling. Guest may post replies to topics already here. All topics here will expire after 90 days of inactivity.
waynebergman
10 kW
10 kW

-WAYNE'S # 3-

Post by waynebergman » Sep 13, 2014 11:44 pm

02.jpg
02.jpg (80.64 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (55.3 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
01.jpg
01.jpg (37.65 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
I am going to move over some of the electric components from my Giant DH build over to a lighter cross country style bike, a Giant XTC AC1. These bikes are pretty old but I figure there is still a lot of fun left in them both.
I now have a 50v 9.5 ah Pack of 20r cells from cellman that will fit in the main triangle of this Giant XTC AC1 frame. If the build goes well and I like this lighter bike I may go with this as my main trail bike and sell the Giant DH frame complete with the KIWI drop out torque arms but that depends on how this lighter cross country bike turns out.
I have taken a nasty fall on the Giant DH and nursing a broken collar bone right now so I have some time on my hands to chip away at this project. The Giant DH is a nice frame but all in with the big forks etc its an 85 lb tank and I think I would rather have a lighter bike so we will see how this turns out. Shown in the photo's here are my start up efforts at some home built torque arms and I think they should do the trick. I think the theme for this bike is use what I got in the spare parts pile and keep the costs down.
I am using the Mac 10t motor from my old Giant DH. The Giant DH took a major cart wheel in its demise on its last ride so I have re laced its motor into the rim that was on the Giant XTC AC1.
I am thinking the new pack 9.5 ah will be ideal for shorter rides which is mostly what I do anyways these days, and I can parallel my old 14.3 ah pack in a back pack for longer rides when needed. Also I am thinking I would like to build a tadpole trike which I have the plans for from A-Z and then these two packs running in parallel could also be used for that project.
Before falling off the Giant DH I had plans for mid drive on DH but I may now go for a light weight cross country and the tadpole but time will tell. I hope to have the XC up and running in the next couple of weeks but I may not be able to actually ride for while after that.

spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW

Re: -WAYNE'S # 3-

Post by spinningmagnets » Sep 13, 2014 11:48 pm

Sorry to hear about the collarbone, Wayne (OUCH!). Best of luck with the new build, and heal up quick...

waynebergman
10 kW
10 kW

Post by waynebergman » Sep 17, 2014 6:57 pm

0002.jpg
0002.jpg (68.66 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
0003.jpg
0003.jpg (47.34 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
0004.jpg
0004.jpg (42.3 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
Chipping away at the battery box today. I feel the neoprene will help cushion the pack inside of the ali bat box when the trail gets bumpy. The torque arms seem like they will do the trick. I re used an old Doctor Bass drop out I had in the spare parts pile and welded it to a piece of 1/8" steel stock and simply riveted it to the drop out for the right side of the bike. The 3/8" spanner was cut and welded up to some 1/4" flat bar and then attached to my rear brake mount & will have to do for the left side. I really like the size of this little 9.5ah pack that Paul is now selling. Its quite a bit shorter than Pauls 14.3 ah packs so it fits this bike no problem. Also having the 10c rating is a bonus.
Attachments
0001.jpg
0001.jpg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 2199 times

waynebergman
10 kW
10 kW

Post by waynebergman » Sep 18, 2014 6:43 pm

0005.jpg
0005.jpg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
0006.jpg
0006.jpg (48.48 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
I think this is going to work OK.

Lenk42602
10 kW
10 kW

Post by Lenk42602 » Sep 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Clever.

How will the alu batt box stay affixed to the down tube mount you fabbed up?

What kind of rig are you using to weld - and are you using it for both steel and alu?

Cheers,

len

waynebergman
10 kW
10 kW

Post by waynebergman » Sep 18, 2014 8:42 pm

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 6.37.48 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 6.37.48 PM.jpg (42.55 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
Hi Lenk

I am hoping the tabs that hold the assembly to the rear shock mount will stop the anchor plate from rocking as this flat ali plate is of course only sitting on a round tube and somewhat tensioned to the down tube by the rivnets normally used for water bottle mounting.

To answer you question about the batt box affixed to this plate assembly I will epoxy industrial strength velcro to both the bottom of the batt box and also the top side of the down tube mount. I may also reinforce with a raptor straps (see photo attached).

Regarding the welder it is an Everlast brand. It is an AC DC combo unit. A china cheapy but seems to work well. It has plasma cutting, stick weld and tig function for both AC and DC so I can tig weld Aluminum, Steel, & Stainles Steel.

waynebergman
10 kW
10 kW

Post by waynebergman » Sep 19, 2014 6:05 pm

0009.jpg
0009.jpg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
0007.jpg
0007.jpg (52.57 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
0008.jpg
0008.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
I will bolt on the CA this weekend and then test ride time.

waynebergman
10 kW
10 kW

Post by waynebergman » Sep 25, 2014 9:15 pm

10.jpg
10.jpg (46.72 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (49.58 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Bike feels good. Took it for a real short spin around the block and it shows a good deal more pulling power up the hill I am used to climbing just down from my house. This bike is obviously lighter than the Giant DH and also this new battery pack I am using has the extra C rating and also a few pounds lighter than my old 14.3ah pack.

I figure it will be a good two months before I will be in any condition for trail riding so I will not know for sure if this will replace my Giant DH or not. I also think this xc frame is a better match up for the little mac motor. The old DH was very plush and fun to ride but with the geared mac you could never fly over the bumpy stuff like the bike was meant to do so the DH as it was always was kind of a compormised package. I think the DH would be better suited for something like the LR kit or a high volt DD hub.

When my shoulder heals up and I know for sure if this xc bike will be my main trail bike, I may just sell the DH as shown in the photo here.
12.jpg
The frame would come with the KIWI drop outs @135 axle spacing, the aluminum battery pack case I made for it that will fit cellmans 14.3 ah 18650 50v packs and of course the front forks. NO BATTERY OR ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHAT IS SHOWN IN PHOTO WOULD BE INCLUDED. I figure it would be worth around $450 cnd as shown. If anyone is interested in this frame shoot me a PM and we can talk but like I say it may or may not be for sale but I will know for sure by Dec 1...........the other two threads shown in my signature also shows more about the Giant DH during its time in my possesion.
Last edited by waynebergman on Sep 26, 2014 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Danschutz
100 W
100 W
Location: Wyoming. We have at least 6 months of winter followed by several months of wind :(

Post by Danschutz » Sep 26, 2014 3:10 am

Wow your a magician with aluminum! Nice build :)
I would certainly be interested in your frame when the time comes. Hoping the shipping cost won't kill me though!

Noticed that you might not be using the fork mounted battery mount at this point, would you consider selling that separately? I may be able to use that on my current build.

Dan L.

waynebergman
10 kW
10 kW

Post by waynebergman » Sep 26, 2014 9:49 am

Sorry Dan the extra 14.3 ah pack I have is going to be used on a tadpole trike and or in parallel for a range extender in my back pack for the trail bike. And the old 10ah packs I had way back have been sold last year. I will be in touch in December if I feel the frame is for sale. I hope your Wyoming winter holds off for some extra riding for you this year.

Danschutz
100 W
100 W
Location: Wyoming. We have at least 6 months of winter followed by several months of wind :(

Post by Danschutz » Sep 26, 2014 12:51 pm

That's ok Wayne, had to ask! Ive looked at Kiwi and Oatnet's front mounts but I really like the simplicity of what you've come up with so at least I have something to show a fabricator.

Im super excited to get the frame if you decide to let it go, I don't post a lot on ES but I generally check things
about once a day so getting ahold of me usually isn't an issue.

We've already had two snowfalls this year, just natures way of asking, are you prepared for winter lol.

Dan L.

waynebergman
10 kW
10 kW

Post by waynebergman » Sep 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Sounds good Dan. I will be in touch before December. Maybe santa can deliver it. :) and if it cost too much for shipping I could always make you a duplicate of just the battery box with faster system and then ship that if you end up getting a Giant DH from closer to your home. Shipping can be expensive I know. I sent a my little mid drive frame to Montreal and it was a pain to ship and I think it cost 60 bucks. Who knows what they will charge for a heavier bike that is also bigger. My guess is it will be over a 100 bucks shipping.

waynebergman
10 kW
10 kW

Post by waynebergman » Jan 17, 2015 8:58 pm

s2.jpg
s2.jpg (41.01 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
s1.jpg
s1.jpg (28.18 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
This is my latest effort just to kind of try and make the bike not look so obviously electric. I don't think I will really fool anyone that has the time or interest to take a second look but I plan to be in the Sedona area in a few weeks and the last time I was there I got a serious shunning from the bike shop when they saw my old DH with all the wires etc hanging out for all to see.

The covering over the battery pack and controller is doing double duty as it hides the mess and the electrics but more importantly is should keep the rain off of the battery pack and wiring harnesses. The cover is actually an old snorkling neopreme vest. I have cut a few darts out of and it and tapped back back together with gorilla tape. It just zips up at the underside of the down tube.

The bike bell is a good idea anyways and as I rarely use the three speed function on the throttle the bell covers over an area that also screems, hey I am an electric bike.

Again I dont expect to fool many, but hoping it comes across a little less obvious as an electric.I do however think it looks uglier like this but I dont care so much about that kind of thing these days.

waynebergman
10 kW
10 kW

Post by waynebergman » May 11, 2016 6:30 pm

MY BIKE HERE IS NOW FOR SALE. ....$ 550 Canadian local sale only. Sorry I will not ship. Changes from photos shown in this post
1. No dropper post included in the sale or the WTB saddle
2. No hydo brakes I have swapped the hydros over to my fat bike and put the cable discs on this bike now.
3. Flat pedals not clippless included in the sale.

Took it for a good spin today and it is still pulling pretty strong. After 8ah of use I had a resting voltage of 48 volts and did not want to take it to far to kick in the auto cut out. I just wanted to get a feel for how much of the life of the pack is left. Not sure if this resting voltage after 8ah of consumption is a good indicator of the state of the battery or not?

The reason I am selling this is I would like to buy some Bluto forks for my fat bike. There are some issues with this bike and I will be up front and honest to anyone interested with all the good and the bad. I feel at the price I am asking this is good value.

The issues with the bike are
1. one spoke on the rear wheel is broken. I am light in weight and I simply put good even tension on the rest of the wheel and it has been fine like this for over a year now.
2. The front fork leaks oil but seems to work good enough for me so I have not dealt with the leaking seals.
3.The frame has a weld that failed where the seat tube meets the BB shell. It was rewelded 5 years ago and has been fine but it looks a little scabby. At that time I did not have a tig welder so I got it done by a local welder (he is a bit of a hack but like I say it seems to be holding up fine)
So there you have the bad, the good is it rides real nice and goes good for a 1600 watt mac hub bike. Version 3 CA, I have two extra new rear tires I will throw in and of course the Cell man battery charger. The Aluminum battery pack enclosure is super solid as are the torque arms. I figure a nice new battery next year and you are good to go! Also I have a nice large big ring on the front for pedaling at up to 30mph.

I

beast775
100 kW
100 kW

Post by beast775 » May 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Im interested but never been to pender ? maybe i have, but been 15yrs? ago.. just saw the bc ferries goes from swartz to pender, im pedal -ebike only, so would have to bus it, might be an adventure.
2 FINGER SALUTE TO ESSO.no buying gasoline for 7 years now.
I spent all my money on bicycles women and beer the rest i just wasted.

waynebergman
10 kW
10 kW

Post by waynebergman » May 12, 2016 7:09 pm

Howdy Beast, actually it's Pender HARBOUR not Pender Island. I am on the Sunshine Coast. The Horseshoe bay ferry takes you to Langdale. I am a one hour drive from there but if you traveled foot passenger I could meet you at the Langdale Ferry terminal. You can ride it around there at the ferry terminl and see what you think before buying if this is of interest to you. Once you land in Langdale its a two hour wait for the next ferry back to Horseshoe bay.

Another option is I am coming into Vancouver this Wed for a doctors appointment. I could meet you mid day in North Vancouver if that works for you? My appointment is on Lonsdale in North Van at 1:15 so I would be free to show before or after that. Send me a PM if that works for you to go over options if you are interested..........wayne