BBSHD failed - Display working, intermittent at first then total fail

two_shirts

1 µW
Help please!
Everything was fine, then motor started cutting out all together. Display fine, no error. Power cycling would fix the issue and it would run fine again, although its possible that the power was reduced, not 100% sure. That worked for about 4 power cycles, then total failure. Very heavy ride home!

Today I investigated. Did all the normal check of disconnecting the cut-off switches, checked all the wiring etc.

Then opened up the controller. The green wire spade connector totally fried. Cracked off all the burnt plastic and reconnected (pretty sure it was connected). Still nothing.

Now I am not sure if the fried connector is the cause of the problem, a symptom of the problem or unrelated. My instinct says that given that there was no obvious loss of power, and that power cycling the system reset it a few times, that the probably an electronic problem not electrical.

Having done a bit of reading, I think my next steps are to try and connect to the controller with the USB cable that I bought years ago and have never used to see if its alive, and check the resistance of the three phases to ground for a short.

Is that the right approach to confirm if I need a new controller?

I am also a bit concerned about replacing the spade connector, as the wire will be getting a bit short. Would need to decide if try and keep the existing one, cleaning. It up and adding another type of sleeve.

Finally, I think from memory that the motor has done about 10,000km with a couple of repairs over around 6-7 years. Is it worth the cost of the controller replacement?

Thoughts please?

Well a new controller could be a backup to a new motor should it be more than a controller problem on the old BBSHD. But 6 years 10,000 km, and I'd feel better with a new bare motor.

Back