currie motors , free

mainfuse

100 µW
I have a few old school brushless currie motors from stand up scooters and bikes. some working , some with blown controllers.
we would use other controllers to hot rod these and use them for projects, free just pay shipping or come by
thunderstruck motors to pickup.
mainfuse@thunderstruck-ev.com

Hi Brian, long time, no hear from.

I'm trying to think of what I could use one of those motors on. Those were pretty good little motors.

yes, been busy for some years, cleaning out my shop and down sizing , hate to throw stuff away. hope to find folks that want to play
Brian

What are the general specs on the currie motors? Like ballpark size, shaft diameter, rated power, rpm? Dont need specifics I am just completely unfamiliar with them and may be able to put one to use if it will survive 2000watt bursts.

We should see what Brian says, but in general, I've seen two types of Currie motors. The older ones were inrunners made by Kollmorgen and were rated for 400w. The newer ones were outrunners made by MAC/BMC and rated for 600w. Both used internal controllers but can be modified for external controller (with a lot of work). I used a BMC motor on my old Vego scooter with an external controller and it held up to 2kW bursts OK. The Kollmorgen motors were OK up to about 48v. At 60v, the magnets would fly off the rotor.

Yes, fechter is correct here, we would run them with external controllers and get 1000 watts from them, if they get too hot over over speed then magnets start to fly off . so much fun

Do you know which ones you have? I guess a picture would be great.

I think I have at least one of each type in my junk.

Hi... very interested in this ... sent pm. I am pretty new to owning an E-bike, have a Dahon folder with a Bionx 36v system. It was nearly costless to get and got me my first e-grin... but I now realize that I want/need more. I am 5+ miles out of 'town' here in SW New Mexico and have to travel those miles on narrow county roades with dually farm trucks and 18wheeler trucks loaded with hay. Can you say 'Death Trap'? I have an old steal frame 26" wheel Mtn bike I'd like to convert/use for transportation, but a budget that is way low. I am a DIY type person and willing to learn things like lacing a wheel (I learned last year battery rebuilding on my 36v Bionx). So, here I am, ready for the next adventure. Hope to be able to get in on this deal, I think I can afford shipping.
Where oh where has Dogman gone? he is only 50-60 miles away and I think he could have been a mentor/friend/helper... seems like he left just as I signed up.

yeah Thanks again, looking forward to having them in my hand so i can start building these karts around it, im building 6 i only need 5 if all the family here is gonna ride out. its gonna rock and im hoping to get the kids involved too ;)

I didnt ask any of the specs but hey for free i know its bound to be at least good enough to get going on a project, by the end of the year ill be happy to say i built 10 electric vehicles for less than 2k but probably less than 1k if i ican source enough battery packs.... the hardest part of all my projects is going to be hand tooling the rotor laminations, not because i dont have other options but because not all of them are the same and theres something theraputic about hands on everything creative work that i dig... its a blessing... then after i build one if i want to do more i can cad them and have the machines make them... i build guitar pedals for fun too lol...

Last edited:
Back