Help with Cycle Analyst

wehey

10 mW
Hiya all
I have just bought a CA V3 DPS and am in the process of setting it up.
I don’t yet have the auxiliary switch.
I want to set up 5-6 PAS assistance levels but am unsure if this is possible without the Auxiliary switch.
Any advice?

Hiya all
I have just bought a CA V3 DPS and am in the process of setting it up.
I don’t yet have the auxiliary switch.
I want to set up 5-6 PAS assistance levels but am unsure if this is possible without the Auxiliary switch.
Any advice?
You need the digital aux switch from Grin or you need to make one.

If you want to used a potentiometer as an analog input, that's an option, but it will be a continuously variable level adjustment rather that 5 or 6 levels/steps.

Last edited:
Are you using torque or cadence sensing?

Either one is continuously variable, directly modulating either speed, power, or current (torque), and unless you have a really powerful system that has to be limited in that power for certain usages to prevent accidents, will probably not need different levels of assist.

So, try it out without the levels first, and dial in your usage scenario into it, so it responds the way you want without any level limitations. I bet you'll find after a bit of riding around and tuning that you'll not need them.

If you do, then the digiaux (which is simple enough to make if you can do that sort of thing or are willing to learn) would be your simplest option to tune one parameter in steps to limit something (speed, power, current, etc).

If you find you might only need one or two or even three levels, you can use the three presets in the CA for limiting, and use a three-position switch for this (it plugs into the same place as the digiaux, and AFAICR can actually be used together with it, for different things).

Myself, I use the three-position aux switch as a speed limiter--there's a 5, 10, and 20mph preset...and though I did use the 5 a bit at first, years back when I set this up, for parking lots and other places, I quickly learned good control via the pedals just like any unpowered trike and don't have any problems varying the speed as necessary just with those, so it stays in the 20mph preset all the time now. If I could think of another parameter the presets could change that I would use, I'd use the switch for one of those, but so far it "just works" (with a few exceptions for my specific use case that I'd have to build hardware for, and/or update the firmware to use some of the newer features that enable these things)

Last edited:
If you do, then the digiaux (which is simple enough to make if you can do that sort of thing or are willing to learn) would be your simplest option to tune one parameter in steps to limit something (speed, power, current, etc).
Easy to make, but not easy to make one that's practical to use. The only type of switches that are compact enough to incorporate into something that you can mount near your grips, like Grin's, and those small flat tactile switches. Then you need to house them to keep the elements out and mount them on the bars. If you have room, you could mount a rocker switch horizontally below the handle bar, so the depth of the switch isn't an issue, and you could reach with your thumb. I'm not in love with the Grin unit, but it wouldn't really be a cost savings to make one and have a finished look.

Easy to make, but not easy to make one that's practical to use. The only type of switches that are compact enough to incorporate into something that you can mount near your grips, like Grin's, and those small flat tactile switches. Then you need to house them to keep the elements out and mount them on the bars. If you have room, you could mount a rocker switch horizontally below the handle bar, so the depth of the switch isn't an issue, and you could reach with your thumb. I'm not in love with the Grin unit, but it wouldn't really be a cost savings to make one and have a finished look.
Thanks. Just had a look and they are out of stock with Grin…. I will have to make do with cruise control for now and hope I don’t have a brain fart and forget how to disengage it lol.

Are you using torque or cadence sensing?

Either one is continuously variable, directly modulating either speed, power, or current (torque), and unless you have a really powerful system that has to be limited in that power for certain usages to prevent accidents, will probably not need different levels of assist.

So, try it out without the levels first, and dial in your usage scenario into it, so it responds the way you want without any level limitations. I bet you'll find after a bit of riding around and tuning that you'll not need them.

If you find you might only need one or two or even three levels, you can use the three presets in the CA for limiting, and use a three-position switch for this (it plugs into the same place as the digiaux, and AFAICR can actually be used together with it, for different things).

Myself, I use the three-position aux switch as a speed limiter--there's a 5, 10, and 20mph preset...and though I did use the 5 a bit at first, years back when I set this up, for parking lots and other places, I quickly learned good control via the pedals just like any unpowered trike and don't have any problems varying the speed as necessary just with those, so it stays in the 20mph preset all the time now. If I could think of another parameter the presets could change that I would use, I'd use the switch for one of those, but so far it "just works" (with a few exceptions for my specific use case that I'd have to build hardware for, and/or update the firmware to use some of the newer features that enable these things)
Hi Amberwolf.
I see you are admin and wonder if you could help me with another matter?
I was a member of the Endless Sphere Facebook group. They recently blocked a load of suspicious accounts because of spam and scamming etc. I was one of the accounts that was culled for some reason.
of course I now have no way of contacting the FB admin team to get this resolved? Is there anyway you can help?

I have just checked and they are back in stock.
I only have 1 Aux outlet.
do I need this one: CA3_MFSwitch for CA3-WPx
or this one: Digital Aux Input for CA 3.1 Devices
The latter, if this is the version of CA that you have. The switch has two connectors to allow an option for an analog switch to operate in parallel with it.

The latter, if this is the version of CA that you have. The switch has two connectors to allow an option for an analog switch to operate in parallel with it.
Yep, that’s the one.
Many Thanks 🙏

Crikey…. shipping is more than the cost of the product!!

unfortunately. There are other distributors besides buying directly from Grin, so you may be able to search to see if there's one where the shipping isn't so steep, if you're lucky. Unfortunately a lot of companies closed up shop during the pandemic.

More sad is that the Grin switch isn't really that great compared to other up/down switches used by other manufacturers like KT, etc. The buttons are hard are small and hard to press, and the tactile feel is even worse when you have gloves on. I have to watch the display to know if the button press took.

Besides fabricating one yourself. you could buy a handle bar mounted switch and modify it. It will cost about the same but might have a better feel. You either want two momentary push buttons, or an ((ON)-OFF-(ON) rocker switch. The couple I thought of trying were using a 3 speed switch and replacing the rocker switch if I could find one with the right dimensions.

The other was to modify a light switch and replace the switch with a rocker.

Last edited:
unfortunately. There are other distributors besides buying directly from Grin, so you may be able to search to see if there's one where the shipping isn't so steep, if you're lucky. Unfortunately a lot of companies closed up shop during the pandemic.

More sad is that the Grin switch isn't really that great compared to other up/down switches used by other manufacturers like KT, etc. The buttons are hard are small and hard to press, and the tactile feel is even worse when you have gloves on. I have to watch the display to know if the button press took.

Besides fabricating one yourself. you could buy a handle bar mounted switch and modify it. It will cost about the same but might have a better feel. You either want two momentary push buttons, or an ((ON)-OFF-(ON) rocker switch. The couple I thought of trying were using a 3 speed switch and replacing the rocker switch if I could find one with the right dimensions.

The other was to modify a light switch and replace the switch with a rocker.

I have one of these off my BBS02 kit. I wonder if this can be modified?

Attachments

• 98A87AB5-95A2-4268-A092-A7FC7C9AF766.jpeg
    98A87AB5-95A2-4268-A092-A7FC7C9AF766.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 1
Hi Amberwolf.
I see you are admin and wonder if you could help me with another matter?
I was a member of the Endless Sphere Facebook group. They recently blocked a load of suspicious accounts because of spam and scamming etc. I was one of the accounts that was culled for some reason.
of course I now have no way of contacting the FB admin team to get this resolved? Is there anyway you can help?

Unfortunately since ES has nothing to do with the FB group (they just used the same name), we don't have any help for that group. You'd have to have someone actually on that FB group or otherwise with access to whoever their admin is do that.

I have one of these off my BBS02 kit. I wonder if this can be modified?
If the buttons are directly wired out to the contacts on the connector, then you just have to add the appropriate passive components across the switches, and then make the appropriate connections from it's connector to the CA's connector via either an adapter you would make, or replacing its' or the CA's connector with the matching mating one and wiring that in appropriately.

If the buttons go to active electronics inside the unit, you'll need to disconnect them from that electronics completely, then do the above.

AFAICR the specific wiring/components for the DigiAux are in the CA manual; if not they should be on the Grin CA info page(s).

Back