Questions & Comments on BBS02 with C963

Phil

1 mW
Got BBS02 750W/48V kit with C963 display from BMSbattery for ~$550. It was delivered 3 days after I ordered it. Amazed by how fast it shipped.
Install took ~ 3 hours, very easy. Connectors are nice, but does anyone know where to get these connectors? I think I want to put back my twist grip throttle and it would be nice to have the same connector.

Running with Ping 48V-10Ah battery. Motor is nice and smooth, quiet & powerful. But it does seem to take it's time "winding up". My Bafang 350W hub motor & twist grip throttle is much more responsive.

AND, I do NOT like the PAS, it stutters on start up & changing gears is annoying since it cranks when one pedals while changing gears. So one has to stop pedaling or pull brake to cut out assist and then gently start pedaling again to finish gear change.

Does anyone know how to disable the PAS? If I set it to PAS 0 the throttle is also disabled.

The Watts display on the C963 is totally wrong, I am using the Wattsup power meter on the battery as a reference and the C963 display is way off (while the Wattsup shows ~450W, the bafang display show 160W) and I believe the Wattsup meter is correct.

And does anyone know if the speed display can be changed to mph as opposed to kmh?

So far I'm not sure I like it better than my hub driven e-bike.

Thanks for listening. - Phil

Phil said:
Connectors are nice, but does anyone know where to get these connectors?

No but twist throttle here

Running with Ping 48V-10Ah battery. Motor is nice and smooth, quiet & powerful. But it does seem to take it's time "winding up".

That can be adjusted via the software/programming cable.

Does anyone know how to disable the PAS?

Yes, via the software/programming cable.

And does anyone know if the speed display can be changed to mph as opposed to kmh?

Yes - hold the + and - buttons and tap the m button 5 times (or 8 - can't quite remember) to enter settings menu.

Thank You Amigafan

Unfortunately I failed to switch the C963 display to mph using:

"hold the + and - buttons and tap the m button 5 times (or 8 - can't quite remember) to enter settings menu."

This is either because I'm dense or this method works for the C961 display, but not for C963. I tried many different combinations of button presses. No luck. I can enter settings menu but I don't see a mph/kmh mode.

So I thought I would check out the serial and power connections on the C963 cable. As posted on other threads I got.

Pin----color----function
1 black GND
2 green rx (probably from controllers point of view)
3 Brown Vbattery (be really careful with this one - may want to fuse this with 50mA fuse)
4 White tx
5 orange controller on (shorting 3 to 5 powers controller)

Interesting thing: If you power up controller, by connecting 3 to 5, without the serial or gnd connection, controller turns on and throttle works.
This kind of makes sense that Bafang would program a default so one would is able to use the motor without the display. I don't know if power is limited, only tried it on the bike stand so far.

I can see the tx/rx serial data on the com cable, it is 1200 baud, and if I get time I will try to decode the data traffic on the bus. But for now I can probably dump the C963 display and hook up my old Wuxi throttle/powerswitch/led twist grip.

Also - If you are going to cut open the C963 cable, be really careful with pin 3 - Vbattery, touching this to any other connections (aside from pin5) could kill your controller and or display. Work with it disconnected from power and use mated/shrouded connectors, and make connections first - then connect battery last.

And last - the controller uses about 23mA when turned on, that's ~1W @ 48V, kind of high, I think. Bafang is probably using a cheap shunt regulator to derive power for the microProcessor. not an efficient switcher. Too bad they are tossing most of that power to heat!

Last-last - Does anyone know what kind of micro Bafang is using in their controller?

I tried powering up controller without the display connected in hopes that the BBSO2 would default to Throttle only, but I find that Peddle assist is still active. I will have to try reprogramming.
Sorry about the misinformation above.

Back