Railbike

Good thinking :( When I walk around on train tracks. Train tracks where trains go. I see no weeds, no plants, no nothing, like a desert. I often wonder how much weed killer it takes to kill everything on a few thousand miles of train tracks.

People who try to kill weeds with poison will die from poison. Weeds will come back. The weeds win.

Saw some dead weeds on a friends driveway. I ask how ya kill the weeds? She said salt and vinegar.

PLEASE STOP DESTROYING OUR PLANET.

So, how much salt and vinegar it takes to clear a few thousand miles of train track? If you use that much of salt and vinegar it will cause more harm than the herbicide. Salt never break down naturally. Stay in ground or leak out and contaminate rivers, lakes and ground water. Whereas modern day herbicide are made to break down in soil in short period of time, otherwise chemical company cannot make more money. It is not like Agent Orange dumped by million tons in Vietnam. Everything natural does not mean harmless. Also everything chemical does not mean no good either. A bottle of herbicide may be much harmless than a pound of salt.

Last edited:
At least you don't have a sprayer on your rail cart yet, though, you would need an army of volunteers to hack the vegetation for any length of line.
I had thought of running a railbike on in-service tracks, as the vegetation control and road crossing are taken care of for you. You would need to know the rules of the road, scheduling, have some sort of detection system, and a way to safely bail off the tracks.

At least you don't have a sprayer on your rail cart yet, though, you would need an army of volunteers to hack the vegetation for any length of line.
I had thought of running a railbike on in-service tracks, as the vegetation control and road crossing are taken care of for you. You would need to know the rules of the road, scheduling, have some sort of detection system, and a way to safely bail off the tracks.

Please do not ride a railbike on the active line. ABSOLUTELY NOT. Repeat, ABSOLUTELY NOT. It is a federal offense and you will be prosecuted if you get caught.

Clearing the track is a part of fun and I consider that is a service to the community because there are people use the track as a quiet, less traveled walking trail or a short cut. I came across to some already when I rode my railbike.

Well, you certainly burst my bubble of the dream of riding on clean, well maintained rail.
Though, getting caught might be the least of worries. A big old locomotive would be terrifying.

Well, you certainly burst my bubble of the dream of riding on clean, well maintained rail.
Though, getting caught might be the least of worries. A big old locomotive would be terrifying.

Sorry for bursting your bubble.

it's not a big locomotive you should worry, it's the Amtrak Dream Liner you should worry. It's huge and damn fast. :LOL:

July 1st was Canada Day, there were a lot of music and fire work at other cities and towns, not here. Nothing, no fire work no concert, nothing.
So, I went for ride on the rail, take advantage of such quiet day. That's what I thought.
But soon after I started, a deer stood on guard at the switch point.
P_20240701_152519.jpg
She wont move, kept looking at me for over 5 minutes. I did not want disturb her but I have to go. So, I moved very slowly, inch by inch toward her, I managed to squeeze by her.
P_20240701_152059.jpg
Few miles riding, I came across to an old lady walking her dogs on the track. I stopped and chat with the lady. After that she told me there is a fallen tree on the track.
P_20240701_155859.jpg
I did not have a chain saw with me. I cut small branches with a clipper and pushed the tree to the side, squeezed by the tree.
Kept on going few more miles, passed the gorge and Green Lake. Then turned around, came back home.

I am surprised to see many people walking on the track that day. Enjoying a quiet day just like me.

I will have to go back with a chain saw to cut the tree soon.

Last edited:
I hope it's a battery powered chainsaw. Just to keep within the spirit of the endless-sphere ;).

Last edited:
Back