Recumbent Trike motor controller

HiJaakBacon

1 µW
What opinions are there for EZkontrol 48 Volt Universal BLDC Motor Controller and
3 KW BLDC Motor Air Cooled or
5 KW BLDC Motor Air Cooled for a recumbent trike ?

Have a 48 volt 26 Ah lithium-ion battery from AllCell.

Thanks,

Outrider USA Horizon 2016.
Astro Flight 3220 with gear reduction shutters and controller board have electrical burn smell, probably a relay.
I am replacing the motor and controller; the battery is 3 years old.
Looking for a drive system that runs quieter, the high rpm pitch was annoying riding park nature bike trails to other riders.

Attachments

• OutriderTrikeShop.jpg
    OutriderTrikeShop.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240401_154454.jpg
    20240401_154454.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240401_154500.jpg
    20240401_154500.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Describe the trike please - tadpole?... delta?. Who made it?
Outrider USA Horizon 2016.
Astro Flight 3220 with gear reduction shutters and controller board have electrical burn smell, probably a relay.
I am replacing the motor and controller; the battery is 3 years old.
Looking for a drive system that runs quieter, the high rpm pitch was annoying riding park nature bike trails to other riders.

A 48v 26AH allcell pack will be stressed at 2.5kw peaks, moreso now that it's aged, so i wouldn't recommend a 3kw controller unless you can program it to run lower power.

That golden motor unit does not list it's electrical RPM ( eRPM ), and astros have extremely high eRPM and are very difficult to drive.

You should consider a VESC. They're FOC and designed for high end RC motors and support insanely high eRPM. I would search the net to see if anyone is using one of those larger astros with a VESC first, but.. i imagine it would work well.

If you have a sinewave or FOC controller already i wouldn't expect a new controller to quiet down the motor any further. If you don't, there should be a very substantial improvement.

A 48v 26AH allcell pack will be stressed at 2.5kw peaks, moreso now that it's aged, so i wouldn't recommend a 3kw controller unless you can program it to run lower power.

That golden motor unit does not list it's electrical RPM ( eRPM ), and astros have extremely high eRPM and are very difficult to drive.

You should consider a VESC. They're FOC and designed for high end RC motors and support insanely high eRPM. I would search the net to see if anyone is using one of those larger astros with a VESC first, but.. i imagine it would work well.

If you have a sinewave or FOC controller already i wouldn't expect a new controller to quiet down the motor any further. If you don't, there should be a very substantial improvement.
What about setting up Grin Rear Fat All-Axle Hub 45mm Stator as a mid-drive.
10 speed cassette on drive side and CDX Rear Cog 6 bolt-22t belt on non-drive side bolted to disc rotor hole pattern.

Attachments

• Grin Rear Fat All-Axle Hub 45mm Stator.png
    Grin Rear Fat All-Axle Hub 45mm Stator.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 1
  • CDX Rear Cog 6blt -22t.jpg
    CDX Rear Cog 6blt -22t.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Grin Rear Fat All-Axle.png
    Grin Rear Fat All-Axle.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 1
Because that motor is 3-4kw rated, and can be pushed even farther than that, you might as well just put it in the rear wheel.

Bike chain is intended for ~200w average. 4000w makes your bike chains rapidly disposable.

For example, in a 24" wheel, you could storm up a 7% grade for 18 miles without it overheating.

Add ferrofluid and you're likely able to take 10% grades indefinetely too.

1718227951766.png

Back