Scooter & Bike Finally Together At Last

xyster

10 MW
Since this is the first time they've both been fully assembled and operating at the same time, I thought I'd take photos of the pair.

My girlfriend and I just got home from a ride in the rain. Before we left, I turned the scooter on in the garage. But I forgot to first check to make sure its rather sticky throttle was turned all the way to zero. Soon as I flicked the power switch, the scooter shot into the back of the bike -- also powered on -- running it into the door. BOOM, CRASH the bike smashed into the door and crashed to the floor. The scooter climbed over the top of the bike as I tried to hold it back to turn it off.

After the dust settled, neither vehicle seemed damaged, so we went for our ride. With lights on, and us messing around playing chase, the scooter with its 10ah SLAs was pooping-out after only 5 miles. The extra SLA powering the 35 watt headlight (and boosting voltage to the controller to 48 volts) was down to 11.5 volts, the other three were at 36.6. Perhaps a voltage converter is in the scooter's future.
Needless to say, the bike easily triumphed in the 0-20mph street drag race. :)

Memo to self: next time, take scoot out of garage first.

Attachments

• IMG_2123.jpg
    IMG_2123.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 2,565
Who got to ride what,

Girlfriend rode the scoot, I took the bike. She says the bike "scares me" -- I don't understand why! Maybe it's all those blown-out-of-proportion rumors she's heard about exploding lithium batteries :) Anyway, she's ridden the ebike, but wants one of her own, something a little lighter, a little less flammable, and more bike-like.

and what's a Plen Tee Colour?

A tye-dyed T-shirt?
A multicolor ink refill?
A rainbow?
...I give up...

What's a Nutrea?

xyster said:
Girlfriend rode the scoot, I took the bike. She says the bike "scares me" -- I don't understand why! Maybe it's all those blown-out-of-proportion rumors she's heard about exploding lithium batteries :) Anyway, she's ridden the ebike, but wants one of her own, something a little lighter, a little less flammable, and more bike-like.

Those scooters look like fun. Should get your lady friend one of those sexy new Schwinns (great barring price) or go the other end of the scale, Northern Tool Mongoose comfort bike. Not that I'm biased :wink:

A tye-dyed T-shirt?
A multicolor ink refill?
A rainbow?
...I give up...

Just figured you should know, it's your box :lol:

What's a Nutrea?

NFI :D

Just figured you should know, it's your box

Oh, I missed that! I thought you were giving me another aussie-speak quiz in case I decide to seek asylum in Australia and have to pass a test :)

I just checked the box -- it was packaging for apples!

Anyway, a nutrea (or nutria) is a "large semi-aquatic rodent" native to the northwest USA, that like squirrels and deer, often dart out in front of moving vehicles around here :) Well unlike deer and squirrels, the nutria more like lazily slog across the road, and are mainly a problem when driving curvy roads. KER-THUMP ...whaa...?! Oh, it was a nutria.

And yeah, I'm thinking Northern Tool mongoose bike too. Cheap, should be a good starter bike.

Attachments

• nutria-usgs.jpg
    nutria-usgs.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,547
Looks like a cross between a small terrier and a broom. :wink:

Well, that's it for me. I get Friday afternoon before you guys, but the tradeoff is I have to go back to work sooner!

still no plans for a foot safety switch? :roll:

still no plans for a foot safety switch?

Yah, I should do more to insure these devices against my own stupidity. :)

I'm just glad the scooter didn't make bark mulch out of the bike's wood battery boxes protecting the lithium inside, like it looked like it was trying to!

At first as the scooter attacked the bike, I thought, "My God, the scooter's circuitry has made a sudden and unexpected leap to self-awareness, and, realizing it's place next to the bike, is becoming jealous!"

I think I read too many sci-fi books as a kid :)

Instead of taking the car to the local tennis courts, for the first time my girlfriend and I rode our EV's. I wore a backpack holding the balls and rackets. Worked great! And like the tennis, riding the EV's together was great fun too. The 8 mile round trip used most of the charge in her scooter's 10ah lead batteries, but my bike's lithium batteries were hardly depleted. Perhaps I'll have to DIY another lithium pack for the scooter :)

Attachments

• IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 2,474
Back