Vector Typhoon ebike (84V, 52AH Battery; 10KW Motor)

bobhurd3d

100 mW
I initially had trouble with the Vector Typhoon ebike caused by me that took months to repair. First I accidentally shorted out the battery leads by inadvertently crossing the meter leads causing direct battery short which damaged the BMS. I had to wait weeks for a new BMS to arrive from Germany. That replacement BMS I also damaged by dropping a wrench into the open battery pack and damaging the replacement BMS. Once more, I waited a few weeks for another replacement BMS which I installed without incidence the third time around. Then I had health issues that precluded me from riding the ebike. Finally, once that malady resolved, I was able to start taking short rides on the Vector Typhoon ebike.

I am very impressed, to say the least. Very powerful and easy to ride. It has a top speed of 52 MPH and can get about 100 miles range at about a 15MPH average speed. I recommend this ebike to anyone who is serious about having a powerful ebike. It has a 3-speed switch. The first speed is actually a reverse gear which I have found useful on numerous occasions when I get myself into a tight spot where I need to make a multiple-point turn to exit. The second speed is the medium "legal" street ebike speed that limits you to 15 MPH and no more. The third speed unleashed the power of this beast. It gives you the full power of the 10KW rear hub motor. You can easily do a wheelie if you start out from a dead stop with this mode engaged. (I usually start out in switch position 2 until I reach 15MPH then click the switch over to position 3 for full power).

I don't know the 0 to 50 MPH time because I'm always trying to keep the front wheel from popping off the ground when I give it a lot of power making timing a virtual impossibility. Perhaps one day I'll enlist the assistance of another person to time me from when I "take-off" until I waive my hand showing I have reached 50 MPH.

Although I don't do trails, I can see that this ebike could easily be a monster of a trail bike having more than enough power to get you out of any trail situation. I use mine on local backroads that have little or no traffic and it performs admirably. It is quite a thrill to ride and I ride it every single day. I do not consider this to be a useful ebike to use in cities and in city traffic. It just has too much power and speed for that kind of riding.

I had to edit this after posting because I forgot to mention one of the Vector Typhoon's best features which I feel is often overlooked by most reviewers. That feature is the Vector Typhoon's incredible braking system. The ebike comes standard with two (2) front disc brakes and one (1) rear disc brake. The rear brake is useful for the vast majority of stops. Also, braking initiates battery regeneration where the battery is charged by the ebike's forward motion. But if you need to stop on a dime or in an emergency situation, the full braking power of this ebike is astounding. It brakes so hard that it almost feels like you hit a wall of sand.

Anyway, I can't say enough good things about the Vector ebike. If I had to do it all over again, I would purchase another one.

bob

I've asked Artur Ragulskyi, the owner of Vector ebikes, the question regarding the amp-hours of the 82-volt (84-volt nominal) battery. I'm sure he'll come back with an answer before the day is out.

Everything looks good and sounds good about your bike. I am bothered by the coiled up cable hanging down on the left side…..I feel like that could catch something. I have a 20s15p battery at 45 amp hours…..I think the extra amps well out weights the weight! 😬

Enjoy the ride.

Tom

litespeed said:
...I am bothered by the coiled up cable hanging down on the left side…..I feel like that could catch something...
Yeah, that picture makes it look like I have a dangling coiled cable coming out of the left handlebar going to the front of the ebike. It is a lot tighter than the picture seems to indicate. And it does not get in the way of my knee or anything else. It is not a coiled wire; it is a couple of wires wrapped by a coil wrap to keep those cables together. I'll look at securing them a bit closer to the bike steering post and take (and post) an updated picture this afternoon (weather permitting).

bob

litespeed said:
Everything looks good and sounds good about your bike. I am bothered by the coiled up cable hanging down on the left side…..I feel like that could catch something. I have a 20s15p battery at 45 amp hours…..I think the extra amps well out weights the weight! 😬

Enjoy the ride.

Tom
I have secured the cables hanging down on each side of the ebike handlebars with cable tie-wraps and took the attached picture.

bob

Attachments

• Vector Typhoon.jpg
    Vector Typhoon.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 2,686
For you observant types, you may have noticed that there is no chain on the ebike. The reason for this situation is that I am getting a longer length chain that I will use with a chain tensioner. The chain that came with the ebike was too tight and caused the rear freewheel to slowly, but inevitably, unscrew itself off the threaded motor housing. After unscrewing itself, the freewheel jams against the frame and the rear wheel will no longer turn at all.

After removing the too-tight chain, I screwed the rear freewheel gear back onto the motor manually until it reached the proper spot on the motor housing threads (and about 1/4" from the frame). I then left the chain completely off until I receive the correct lengthened chain from the owner of Vector ebikes, Artur Ragulski in Germany. I suspect it will take a few weeks to have it shipped here. The ebike is ridable now as it is currently without the chain due to it having a direct-drive rear hub motor which does not require a chain to operate.

My only complaint is why did the ebike ship with a chain that was too tight to begin with? I am glad the seller is sending me a longer chain as he has communicated to me.

We'll see how it goes and I'll keep this group informed.

bob

I wondered the same thing when I bought a bicycle from a department store. In your case it was probably that you were the lucky candidate for the end of the bulk chain, or your reseller just bulk ordered chains that were to short, that bike looks heavy so I hope the frame stays together.

bobhurd3d said:
My only complaint is why did the ebike ship with a chain that was too tight to begin with? I am glad the seller is sending me a longer chain as he has communicated to me.

That is to bad if you have to take it up stairs, over a lip or ditch or lift it over a knee high wire fence or under a gate or onto the bed of a truck. Sure its not all the time that happens but every now and then it does happen, to me it does.

bobhurd3d said:
calab said:
...that bike looks heavy so I hope the frame stays together.
The frame is built like a battleship. It is the most rigid frame I've ever seen on a bicycle. It's more reminiscent of a motorcycle frame. Even the handlebars are made of extra-thick steel.

calab said:
That is too bad if you have to take it upstairs, over a lip or ditch, or lift it over a knee-high wire fence or under a gate or onto the bed of a truck. Sure it's not all the time that happens but every now and then it does happen, to me it does.

bobhurd3d said:
calab said:
...that bike looks heavy so I hope the frame stays together.
The frame is built like a battleship. It is the most rigid frame I've ever seen on a bicycle. It's more reminiscent of a motorcycle frame. Even the handlebars are made of extra-thick steel.
Yes. There's no lifting this 130-pound ebike onto the back of a pickup truck or taking it up a flight of stairs. Fortunately, I don't run into those situations. That one time when the ebike had the jammed rear freewheel gear resulting in the rear wheel being unable to turn, I had my wife bring our trailer out to where the ebike was stuck. Then it was only a matter of dragging the ebike up the 1-foot high ramp of the trailer and resting it on its side until I got it home where I could fix it.

As far as fences go, I don't ever go on trails at all. I only ride on barely-used paved and graded rural roads that are designed for cars to travel on. And I store and charge the ebike in a barn where there is no incline or stairs to be negotiated.

Looks good!

Tom

bobhurd3d said:
litespeed said:

Enjoy the ride.

Tom
I have secured the cables hanging down on each side of the ebike handlebars with cable tie-wraps and took the attached picture.

bob

Vector display at 1:30PM after setting the correct time just yesterday. The Vector display will NOT keep time correctly from day to day. All other functions, such as speed, distance travelled, power, etc. are correct. It just can't keep the time of day correct...

Vector_display_at_1330_after_setting_the_correct_time_yesterday.jpg

Visiting the dock at Clear Lake (aka Lake Jovita) in San Antonio/Saint Leo, Florida...

(Note the handlebars of the Vector ebike at the bottom of the picture).

Attachments

• 2021-10-31 The Dock at Clear Lake.jpg
    2021-10-31 The Dock at Clear Lake.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,817
Back