Workshop Suggestions for prototyping

kedisever

1 µW
Hi everyone,
I would like to build a workshop for prototyping. I wrote my master thesis on axial flux motors. And I want to try a new motor topology and some other ideas about axial flux motors. However, I don't have an electric engineering background, I used 3D simulations and programming in my thesis.
I did some research but I have no reference point.
So, what are the most essential equipment? Things that I have seen so far are DC Power Supply, Inverter(is it controller?), Generator(for load), Oscilloscope(is it absolutely necessary?).
What would you recommend? For example, I am planning to buy a 3D printer for prototyping since I want to experiment with the topology of the machine materials are not important at this point.
Waiting for your suggestions
Best regards

There are a lot of different disciplines to build motors and controllers. It's a ton of effort to try get good at a few of them. My suggestion is to figure out which ones you can do / want to do and find others / businesses / off the shelf items that can fill in the blanks.
Sounds like you want to buy a motor controller and a power supply that will support what you're aiming for voltage and power wise.
It's likely worth buying a comparison motor to have as a reference / reality check.
You can have a second controller and motor setup as a dyno to load up and test your motor. If you're doing this you should also consider safety around the motor if it explodes. Depending on the voltages you're planning you might want arc flash shields as well.
An oscilloscope is great for watching what's going on electrically - hall sensors, noise, ripple, balancing a motor, timing, delays, etc.
3D printers are great for prototyping but cad and 3D printing both have steep learning curves as designs get more complex. There's also FDM vs. SLA to decide on for 3D printing.

It makes sense to buy a commericial motor to load the design.
I will consider safety aspects.
Thanks a lot!

For workshop development:
- Oscilloscope (4 Channel would be good choice)
- Logic Analyzer For signal analyze and measuring cycle times..
- DC Current Clampmeter (I use Habotest HT208D very accurate)
- RPMmeter is not needed but it is good to have.
- Microohm meter ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400....order_list.order_list_main.11.5fa618026RdBAv - Before using I didn't know how much I needed, I can measure motor coil resistances fastly with it).
- As a load both commercial motors and some aluminum high watt (500 watt, 1000 watt) resistors will be needed.

Back